Very Impressed with the Fillmore 50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up a Fillmore 50 and I'm falling for it.

I also own:
Mark II C + modded DRGX head
Mark V 90 combo
Mark V 25 combo
Lone Star Special combo
Electra Dyne 1 x 12 combo

They are all fantastic amps with incredible strengths. I've been chasing tone with the right balance of shimmery and chunky cleans and a tight gain sound that works for a range of styles -- while sounding compatible with the cleans. I also want the amp to be easy to balance the volumes and not so heavy it's a pain to drag around. The Fillmore has a magic mix of the above critera.The tones just work, it's full-featured but easy to use, and light enough to be a daily driver. I am loving this thing out of the box.

If you care to read on, some comments on each and why the Fillmore stacks up well:

*Mark II C + modded DRGX head
My first Boogie, original owner, bought to order. Great, but not my drag around to gigs and parties amp.

*Mark V 90 combo
Most versatile of the lot. Excellent cleans but not as delicious-sounding as some of the others. Best monster gain tones. Good loud. More challenging to make the sounds work together. HEAVY!

*Mark V 25 combo
Amazing for its size. You can dial in two great Mark sounds. Single 10" speaker robs a little fullness, but for a 15" square, lightweight amp, who could ask for more? For the criteria I listed, this takes second place.

*Lone Star Special combo
Cleans to die for but I just don't love the gain channel.

*Electra Dyne 1 x 12 27" combo
Also spectacular, honey-dripping cleans and two interesting and excellent gain sounds, but challenging to get the volumes to work together seamlessly. Rather than separate channels, this amp has attenuator features that don't work as well as separate volume controls would. HEAVY!!! She's a beast and crazy loud, but most folks wouldn't want to shuffle her around.

*Fillmore 50 combo
Awesome sounding cleans. Not quite as tasty as the Lone Star or Electra-Dyne, but sweet enough and maybe more usable across different genres. More innate character than the Marks' cleans, IMO. The gain sounds work for crunchy clean chords, power chords and singing leads. Not as tight as the Marks, but tight enough if you're not looking for rectifier madness. Easiest of the bunch to create a clean and a gain that are balanced and sound great together.

I'm a Deluxe Reverb fan, but with it's versatility and headroom the Fillmore kinda blows the DR away. I think that was Mesa's goal. Same size but way more tonal options.

Here I am praising it again. I'm smitten.

Last edited:
I just joined the club this week (Fillmore 50 1x12). Loving it! I never thought anything could top my Lonestars for gorgeous cleans and superfat leads, but the FM50 is giving them a serious run for their money, and at a non-back-breaking weight to boot. In a way, it's what I've always wanted: an amp that I can carry, and is THAT good.

I have a 65 Deluxe Reverb and a 74 Vibrolux, and they're amazing in their own right. The Deluxe doesn't leave the house, and the Vibrolux isn't as precious but it's not 100% reliable at the moment (it's a project). They both obviously sound fantastic, and since I'm gigging a lot again, and I'm picky af about how I sound, the Fillmore has neatly stepped in front of everything else and it's going to be seeing a lot of action. What a great amp.

Welcome to the light my son. I have the 25 head and a couple of 1x12's. It's perfect for Bar gigs. Mic it in for anything bigger. Set it up for edge of break up and crunch. Add a pedal for leads. I just love my tone, like all night long. My Fender just isn't reliable enough. My LSC is for BIG gigs. Congrats Damon!

Welcome to the light my son. I have the 25 head and a couple of 1x12's. It's perfect for Bar gigs. Mic it in for anything bigger. Set it up for edge of break up and crunch. Add a pedal for leads. I just love my tone, like all night long. My Fender just isn't reliable enough. My LSC is for BIG gigs. Congrats Damon!
Haha, can't say I am surprised to see you in here. The Fillmore seems made for players like us.

Back