V-Twin vs. Bottle Rocket

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarmiester

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting either the V-Twin or Bottle Rocket until I get a Mesa Quad. Can someone tell me the qualities of each and the sounds each are possible of? If anyone has clips of either, that'd be great.

I own a Bottle Rocket and passed on the V-Twin when I bought it. Prices at the time were not that different for used pieces. I thought the Bottle Rocket was more open sounding but it is a overdrive and not a preamp. I find the Bottle Rocket work well with all my amps... Hindsight, I should hae snagged the V-Twin too, there getting to be stupid expensive

Ive had my V-Twin for about a year now, just getting to use it through a 2:90 recently. I used it for a recording session in December 2005, if you want to hear it in a rock context then click on any of the two links below...

This is if you have'nt already bought one of course :D

Ive used a v-twin for a while(borrowed then own the sold the sucker)I found it was great as a pre amp and to add another channel to my nomad(another uber saturated mothertrucker of a gain weilding channel).It was good but sounded dire with non-tube amps I found it to be very hissy and fizzy like other preamps,althought still an awsome piece of kit.I only sold the demonic beast for another.........A DUAL REC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and now Im ready to unleash the fury with it,
hehehe

I also like to run a Bottle Rocket in front of a Fender Twin. It gives it just enough tube break up and sounds like an ol' Blues amp. I like the Bottle Rocket because its a tube 'overdrive' and not a 'distortion' and gives the Fender Twin a suttle Mesa type sound plus I like the fact you can also control the Bass and Treble.

I have plenty of Mesa amps but I also like having a couple of Fender Twins around and the Bottle Rocket keeps the Fender Twin under control with overdrive volume without losing any tone.

The V-Twin is a different concept, more like a pre-amp but looks somewhat the same. I would carry a V-Twin around as a backup amp in the event my tube amps crashed. You can run a V-Twin into your mixing board and still get a great sound. You can also take a V-Twin to jam sessions or sit-in's and use it to make sure you get a great sound no matter what amp your given to play through and you don't have to carry an amp with you.

Either way, nice units but each do something different, it just depends on your needs.

From looking at bottle rocket schematic, it looks like someone took the gain channel from a tube amp and put it in a pedal. The V-Twin uses Jfet for the input stage. A bottle rocket in front of a fender sounds perfect for church use. Also would be real nice in front of a mod'ed valve junior to go from clean to distortion. The bottle rocket could also be very easily mod'ed to be the preamp of a DR, or for just more gain.

mesanomad100,

what did that 1x12 Theile sound like with the nomad. I have a nomad100 HD, and i don't always feel like carrying around my 2x12 recto cab.

Hi nomad 100hd

well I only played one show with the nomad/theile combination and it sounded really good,the theile is ported so did have quite a good bass response,I also used the combo's speaker as well so I had in effect a 2x12" but over all I did like it!!

I sold the nomad combo very shortly after I recieved the dual rec. I shold have kept it for crunchier type sounds but ohh well Im thinkin of getting a MKIV for my lead and clean sounds and having the recto for the skull crushing rythem stuff

Euan

Latest posts

Back