Trade a Mark V for a Royal Atlantic?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramerxxx

Reaction score
I have a Mark V that I like a lot. I played the RA and think it is closer to the lead tones I'm looking for. Would you trade your MkV in for a RA, or am I crazy thinking this?

I would try to trade away your Mark V now, before the RA really picks up. Seriously. A good amp is a good amp. The RA is a great amp. I can't see why it won't eventually pick up. Especially after touring artists gain wind of it.

Well, I'm not sure you need to worry about the RA becoming more popular than the MKV, they are both great amps. At the end of the day its about you and what you like.

I really wanted an MKV, it has all the features (except an attenuator), but I just could not find the lead tone I wanted. The ED turned out to be the amp for me, even with its relative lack of features. I'm just glad I worked it out before I bought a MKV.

Is it just the lead tone you want ? If you use a lot of clean and edge of clean sounds I'd be carefull because the MKV has incredible versatility there and the RA will not match it.

For what is worth if I had a MKV and I was sure the RA was what I wanted, I'd swallow the loss and do the swap.

There is definitely some over lap, but the Mark V is pure Mesa tone where the Royal is a Rockerverb meets X-tacy meets Mesa "mojo" sound. Both are great, it just depends if the Royal specializes in areas that you prefer.

I would never trade my RA for a Mark V, to me it would be a step down (I had 3 Mark Vs already). RA sounds so **** good....especially that blue channel..... :mrgreen:

JAZZGEAR said:
I would never trade my RA for a Mark V, to me it would be a step down (I had 3 Mark Vs already). RA is sounds so **** good....especially that blue channel..... :mrgreen:

+1

No, I would never trade my MkV for a RA-100 or any other amp for that matter at this time!

Personally, I absolutely love the great sounds that I am able to achieve with my V, and the incredible flexibility this amp offers....especially while playing live!

I have never had the opportunity to even see a Royal Atlantic, let alone play through one. Even if I am able to play through a RA-100 and love it.....I would not trade my V.....I would just add the RA to my collection. I really like the V that much for my needs!! :D

The Mark V produces the sound in my head. I doubt I will ever get rid of it, aside from maybe a Mark VI should they ever produce one.

That said, my mind has a few different sounds in it and if the RA can achieve some of them I would consider getting an RA when I can afford one, but I won't trade the Mark V for it.

I've found that no matter how much I love the sound of an amp it's really difficult to love that sound all of the time, so having a couple of options on hand is handy for when my mood swings. It's why I wouldn't trade my favourite amps to score another amp, even if I like the new amp better than my current ones.

screamingdaisy said:
The Mark V produces the sound in my head. I doubt I will ever get rid of it, aside from maybe a Mark VI should they ever produce one.

That said, my mind has a few different sounds in it and if the RA can achieve some of them I would consider getting an RA when I can afford one, but I won't trade the Mark V for it.

I've found that no matter how much I love the sound of an amp it's really difficult to love that sound all of the time, so having a couple of options on hand is handy for when my mood swings. It's why I wouldn't trade my favourite amps to score another amp, even if I like the new amp better than my current ones.

Those are great points....I've made that mistake too many times in the past -- only to regret it.

After playing the Royal quite a bit I definitely have some major gas for it. I doubt I would actually trade my Mark V for it, however the RA-100 does tempt me. But I've only had my Mark V for a few months and I'm really enjoying it. If I'm ever able to come up with the extra cash for another amp, the RA is my first choice. I A/Bed the Royal with a New Triple Recifier yesterday and to me the RA is a rectifier with all of the mods I could ever want. Its upper midrange cut with low end thump is ridiculous, plus and amazing clean tone to boot! Other amp companies really are going to have to step up their game, after playing the Royal, Oranges, Marshalls, Bogners, Fryettes, etc. have become much less appealing to me. :)

Great points, DWAKO. To me, my Royal also gets lead tones with all the sustain of a Mark amp. The RA is just so killer and a totally easy amp to dial in.

I got rid of my JVM205H and my Road King II head, and got both the Mark V and the RA-100. Distinctly different, but both get great tone.
The RK II channel 2 was useless to me. With these two amps, I get use out of all the channels.

screamingdaisy said:
This is exactly why I kept my Marshall head when I upgraded to the Mark V. the large majority of the time I like the V better, but there are occasionally days when, for whatever reason, the Marshall sounds better.

I've had bad experiences with Marshalls DSL, TSL, and JVM 205. Not reliable. The JVM was horrible. The feedback was out of control on the gain channels. The DSL would cut out unexpectedly.
I figure with a Royal Atlantic, Mark V, and an Express 5:50 2x12, I have everything covered.

Latest posts

Back