Thoughts on the 4YB half back

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy,

So I just got a 4YB half back. It has the original mc90’s and the vintage 50’s down below. I’m running it through my green stipe mark III+. Initially, my ears were not completely loving it. Im used to a 2x12 recto cab, so this has quite a different flavor.

I’ve read that the evms are way better in the bottom row, so I’m picking up some now. I spent most of the day trying to eq it, but I can’t figure out what it’s missing. The last thing I did was run it in stereo, and found the sound much more pleasing. Still tweaking, but anyone who has found these a little dull to start with….suggestions? I’ve been experimenting with the upper back plate both on and off as well. Seems like the mc90s prefer open back. Dunno…I paid ALOT to get this thing here, so I’m going to get it figured no matter what lol. Cool cab and amazing construction. Thanks!

I have the same cab, and another with EV's on the bottom. The EV's are the bee's knees. I never found the 4YB to be dull, however. Have you tried bumping up the presence? What amp are you driving it with?

I haven't closed the backs on either cab, and I can't get too loud in my house.

I am thinking about replacing the Vintage 50's, but that's a low priority purchase for me.

Morn! I have a markIII + and a mark IV. I put some ev’s in the bottom row and like them much better. I think I’m just not a fan of the mc90’s up top. I picked up some badcat version V30’s I’m going to try.

Dull is prob a bad description…just not as lively as my 2x12 recto. Not bad, just different. I will keep messing with speakers and see if this opinion changes.

Back