Switching between a Mark V and a Roadster (or any other amp)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb's 52

Reaction score
Hi all...

Wondering if anyone has used something like this with their Mark V live:

http://www.tonebone.com/headbone.php

I'm thinking of running two heads into one recto 2x12 cab using the switch above.

One of the members here posted a link to a video showing the guy from Theory of a Dead man using one of those with two Electra Dynes. It's in the Dyne thread. I was just considering this as well and it looks to fit the bill quite nicely. Although, I'd like the option to play them both at the same time as well.

What sort of guarantee do they offer in the event of their switcher blowing and taking out the output transformers of two amps?

Can't see the need for it with a Mark V myself. If you can't get all the tones you need for a set covered by that amp. I think you'd be better off going Fractal. Or using two smaller cabs and a regular A/B switch

Nicklotsaguitars said:
What sort of guarantee do they offer in the event of their switcher blowing and taking out the output transformers of two amps?

Can't see the need for it with a Mark V myself. If you can't get all the tones you need for a set covered by that amp. I think you'd be better off going Fractal. Or using two smaller cabs and a regular A/B switch

Good question!
I don't wanna do Fractal when I already have the amps I need.
I'm liking both, the Mark V and the Roadster, thru 2x12s.
If I went with another cab, I could go full stereo just more to lug around.

I'd go with the two Cab solution. Yes the extra lugging around of another Cab is a pain, but you know for a fact that both amps are running safe with a real load. No need to worry about some pedal not working, which is going to happen at some stage. We've all spent a fortune going with mesa. Protect your investment.

Could you wire a cab to two sockets, one for each speaker.
I think cabinet size makes a huge difference to the way a cab sounds, rather than the number of speakers in it. Which I've always viewed as a power handling thing.
Maybe even more so than speaker type.

That way you could run both heads into one cab.

I noticed it ages ago when I wanted to use my old 2x12 with my self built 18watt head. I couldn't be bothered to rewire the OT to the speaker jacks as 8 and 16 ohm from 4 and 16ohm where I had it. So I just cut the wire to one speaker. Bringing the cab up to 16ohms (old Celestion G12H's). The cab got a little less spread but I didn't notice much change in tonality. And I use that amp for a pretty distinct nuanced sound. I'm sure I'd have heard if there was a major difference.

Those Celestion G12100K's are meant to sound OK with rectifier and mark type amps. Handling the low end well in both circumstances.
And yeah sod fractal. Who wants to listen to a load of 1's and 0's when they can hear hot glass. ;-)

I do it by loading one with an unused CabClone. Then you use an a/b switch to direct one of the two amp's fx sends into the amp that's actually playing's fx return.

Works like a charm. Switching channels on the two different amps as well requires either some accurate and fast foot stomping or more elaborate gear. I am a klutz so I got a BOSS ES 8 to do it for me.

Hope that helps.

Back