Successful Roadster channel 2 mod!!! (thanks Charles Reeder)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paytojt

Reaction score
In thinking about my previous thread about changing the Brit mode on the Roadster to have more gain and the previous Charles Reeder mod I read about for the Lonestar, I started thinking about pot values for each control. In the manual, there are several different pot values shown. Does anyone know what they mean? Does the larger the number/smaller the number equal more/less range in the control? If so, I could perhaps put another value for the gain on the Brit mode on my Roadster to increase the available amount of gain. Anyone know? (SEE THE FIFTH POST FOR WHAT I DID)

Well, it seems I answered my own question. I switched the Master pot (higher number) of channel 2 with the Gain pot (lower number) and when it was all finished, the available amount of gain indeed seemed to increase for channel 2. I'm interested now in putting the highest value pot from channel 3 or 4 (they are the same value) in place of channel 2's new pot. It is only 2 digits larger, but the gain increase could be worth it. Then, I could see if Mesa carries any other pot with an even larger number value and experiment. All in all, I'm pleased with the results. A big thanks to Charles Reeder for the inspiration from his Lonestar mod.

Now... of course you know you are gonna have guys like myself that are willing to PAY you for this mod... offer to ship our Roadster to you and have you do this mod, or send a schematic for our local techs to perform,right? :)

vitor gracie said:
Now... of course you know you are gonna have guys like myself that are willing to PAY you for this mod... offer to ship our Roadster to you and have you do this mod, or send a schematic for our local techs to perform,right? :)

Nah, man! It's extremely easy, except for putting the reverb tank cables back on, but I have big hands which get in the way. Basically, take all your tubes out except the preamps (unless you want to be extra careful), unsolder the master and gain pots for channel 2 and switch them once your amp is out of it's shell. Then, solder the wires exactly back on after switching the pots. The wires are stiff, so they should stay in place order. I'm going to experiment tomorrow with pot values. I looked up the Stiletto pot values, and all of them are contained within the Roadster. I'm going to make it like the Stiletto in terms of pot placement and value. Of course it won't sound like the stiletto, but I want to find out if it might get it closer. Ideally, my perfect Roadster would have the channel 2 portion of the stiletto instead of the current channel 2. It was hard to sell my Ace! I know that's not going to happen with my skill level, but I might as well experiment to see what happens. If you do this, don't touch any capacitors. It's easy not to touch them on the Roadster, but be careful anyhow. Keep in mind the gain increase isn't balls to the wall, but there is an increase. I'll post about my results tomorrow about the other pot values. Now if I could only make channel 3 like a Mark IV... (I can dream, can't I?) 8)

Ok. So I swapped the pots out to match the numbers that were listed in the Stiletto Deuce manual on channel 2 of my Roadster. What I got was nothing short of amazing. I need to go play it at my local store to refresh my memory, but what I have now sounds very much like the Stiletto I used to have a few months ago. Just letting you guys know. I wish I knew how to post clips. Regardless, I have a mutated Brit mode! The gain is EXTREME!!! I was also able to dial in a pretty good classic rock crunch. Lead sounds are very creamy with KT77's, especially when I kick in the tube rectifier. I'll report back later after I have had a chance to play mine vs. a Deuce at my local Mesa dealer. I'm going to put some 34's in there to see what happens. Good stuff! EDIT: I didn't even experiment with the clean and fat modes, but without changing settings, I got a sort of Black Sabbath sound, in case someone was wondering.

That is FABULOUS!

I am looking for that exact mod. I currently have EL-34s loaded in my Roadster. I don't need the channel to be super high gain, just more of what it has. I have spent hours playing the old version 1 Stilletos and the new version 2s and decided the Roadster was right for me, so I am familiar with the gain.

My only concern with this mod (and I am gonna have it done for sure) is having the ability to still dial in the lower gain it initially came with. The Brit mode on channel 2 is the only one I have the gain turned all the way up, so it would be nice to have that much gain on, say, 12 o'clock ...then that extra oompf of gain for overdriven lead lines. If you can some how post sound clips of the varying gain settings....Im in!

Even if you need to place a link to myspace for your audio hosting....anything that has the sounds.... I'll have the mod done in a heart beat!

...now, about that Mark IV conversion for channel 3.... :lol:

OverDrivenMarkIVSettings.jpg

you should by a DVM that reads OHMS, then you can tell if the pots are different values. I think you can get one at radioo shack for $20. It's a good investment, and will get rid of a lot of the guess work. Also ( you may know this already but it's very important!!) once you unplug your amp from the wall socket (power sorce) turn it on (without it being plugged into the wall) and let the power bleed off so you don't get killed. Remember to turn you amp off before plugging it into the wall again. I hope you can pull off making the brit sound better, I sold my Roadster because of it.

wonder if this could be done to make the dual rec sound like the older 2 ch cuz the pots all have the same last 3 numbers but start with 592 instead of 590

jamme61 said:
you should by a DVM that reads OHMS, then you can tell if the pots are different values. I think you can get one at radioo shack for $20. It's a good investment, and will get rid of a lot of the guess work. Also ( you may know this already but it's very important!!) once you unplug your amp from the wall socket (power sorce) turn it on (without it being plugged into the wall) and let the power bleed off so you don't get killed. Remember to turn you amp off before plugging it into the wall again. I hope you can pull off making the brit sound better, I sold my Roadster because of it.

There is no guesswork. Mesa labeled the pots. (i.e. 590739) Thanks for the warning, yeah I know it can be lethal!

vitor gracie said:
That is FABULOUS!

I am looking for that exact mod. I currently have EL-34s loaded in my Roadster. I don't need the channel to be super high gain, just more of what it has. I have spent hours playing the old version 1 Stilletos and the new version 2s and decided the Roadster was right for me, so I am familiar with the gain.

My only concern with this mod (and I am gonna have it done for sure) is having the ability to still dial in the lower gain it initially came with. The Brit mode on channel 2 is the only one I have the gain turned all the way up, so it would be nice to have that much gain on, say, 12 o'clock ...then that extra oompf of gain for overdriven lead lines. If you can some how post sound clips of the varying gain settings....Im in!

Even if you need to place a link to myspace for your audio hosting....anything that has the sounds.... I'll have the mod done in a heart beat!

...now, about that Mark IV conversion for channel 3.... :lol:

OverDrivenMarkIVSettings.jpg

Sadly, I don't have any recording gear. You can definitely get the lower gain sound. I had to turn the gain to about 9 oclock to reach the level of gain that was full on before!! There really is that much more gain. And my FX loop is set to normal, so that's not introducing any gain, either. I'm 99% sure that what I've done sounds very, very, very, similar to the higher gain channel in the Stiletto. I got essentially another Mesa amp in about an hour. I don't think the Mark IV is gonna happen though!

boogietone said:
Can you figure out a way to to have seperate bass and mid controls for R1 and R2 on the MKIV? :)
Sure!!! Just send me an extra Mark IV and I'll tell you what I come up with... :mrgreen:

MetalMike said:
wonder if this could be done to make the dual rec sound like the older 2 ch cuz the pots all have the same last 3 numbers but start with 592 instead of 590

Probably. The pots are only $1.75, so it's worth a shot. I ordered some to replace the ones I made the swap with.

I'll post complete results tomorrow after I play a Stiletto Deuce. So far, the Brit channel now has more useable bass and A LOT more gain. Reminds me of all the heavy Marshall recordings I've heard.

Hey 'paytojt'

Glad you're getting some good results from your experiments! I had been wondering for quite sometime...just how many Mesa amps might be 'candidates' for some thoughtful 'pot-swapping'.

I only own Lonestars and a DC-5...so none of your results directly applies to me. But it does confirm that there is an awful lot of individual 'fine-tuning' that can be achieved with some V-E-R-Y simple 'mods'.

Kinda makes one wonder what might happen with a little judicious 'pot-swapping' on some other 'name-brand amps, huh?

Regards: Charles

Charles Reeder said:
Hey 'paytojt'

Glad you're getting some good results from your experiments! I had been wondering for quite sometime...just how many Mesa amps might be 'candidates' for some thoughtful 'pot-swapping'.

I only own Lonestars and a DC-5...so none of your results directly applies to me. But it does confirm that there is an awful lot of individual 'fine-tuning' that can be achieved with some V-E-R-Y simple 'mods'.

Kinda makes one wonder what might happen with a little judicious 'pot-swapping' on some other 'name-brand amps, huh?

Regards: Charles

Yeah, it makes me wonder if the Stiletto's are just the Brit mode with those pots put into a separate amp!

Back