Subway Rocket noise issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foreverstrung

Reaction score
I just picket up a Subway Rocket and am Lovin it. Dialing in some nice old stock pre amp tubes and a new set of Mesa Boogie EL84's.
My issue is, even with the amp set in the rythem setting and the gain set relatively low, I get a too loud "empty space" sound. Like a high gain sound. Like the high space sound you get when you hit an OD pedal with the volume up high. It's actually there in contour or lead as well. No differnce in pitch. Identical white noise in any setting and volume just adjusts itself in the sound. Other knobs have little to no effect on it.
Appreciate any thought y'all have

Foreverstrung said:
I just picket up a Subway Rocket and am Lovin it. Dialing in some nice old stock pre amp tubes and a new set of Mesa Boogie EL84's.
My issue is, even with the amp set in the rythem setting and the gain set relatively low, I get a too loud "empty space" sound. Like a high gain sound. Like the high space sound you get when you hit an OD pedal with the volume up high. It's actually there in contour or lead as well. No differnce in pitch. Identical white noise in any setting and volume just adjusts itself in the sound. Other knobs have little to no effect on it.
Appreciate any thought y'all have

use short plate preamp tubes

Clean all jacks, tube sockets and pots. Remove chassis, confirm ground to shielded upper inside cabinet.

Original 3 prong power cord shows no signs of damage?

Try swapping tubes one at a time with a known good tube.

May have a leaking cap or other circuit component on the fritz.

Foreverstrung said:
Did some preamp tube rearranging. Works great now. Thanks

remember short plate preamp tubes is the key to getting rid of the noises. The long plate tubes are prone to be noisy

Latest posts

Back