Studio Pre: Why do some say to disconnect the Recording Outs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT_Marshmallow

Reaction score
There have been many quotes around here that "Mike B" says to disconnect the Record Outs to make the Studio sound closer to the IIC+...but why disconnect them? What impact do they have on the tone if you're using the other outputs altogether?

From my understanding the inductors/capacitors in the recording outs put a load on the main outs.. Best solution would be to use the effects out into your processor rather than trying to disconnect the recording outs. Getting to the resistors in the recording out circuit is a pain, I tried it last night.

Interesting... I'll give this a shot tomorrow. Also interested to see if it makes a big difference with other preamps like the Recto Recording pre.

--B

From my understanding the inductors/capacitors in the recording outs put a load on the main outs.. Best solution would be to use the effects out into your processor rather than trying to disconnect the recording outs.

Ahh ok so running out from the FX Send is an alternative to running from the Main Outs with the Recording Outs disconnected. Excellent.

DMTransmutation said:
From my understanding the inductors/capacitors in the recording outs put a load on the main outs.. Best solution would be to use the effects out into your processor rather than trying to disconnect the recording outs.

Ahh ok so running out from the FX Send is an alternative to running from the Main Outs with the Recording Outs disconnected. Excellent.
I always use the fx send to feed the poweramp. It sounds more organic, juicy and defined than using the main outs (to me).

Anybody know if disconnecting the recording outs would affect/improve the tone of a Quad preamp in a similar way as is mentioned with the Studio preamp?

My guess would be yes.. I looked at the schematics and they don't show the recording out circuit. Easiest way to test it is to use the FX send into your poweramp and compare the two.

ytse_jam said:
DMTransmutation said:

I always use the fx send to feed the poweramp. It sounds more organic, juicy and defined than using the main outs (to me).

Agreed!

ak47 said:
Anybody know if disconnecting the recording outs would affect/improve the tone of a Quad preamp in a similar way as is mentioned with the Studio preamp?

What he said. I have a quad as well, and would like to know how this will affect my tone.

Latest posts

Back