Strapping Young Lad tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bermuda_

Reaction score
Hey guys im a huge fan of Strapping Young Lad and Devin Townsend and i know Devin uses rectos so i was just wondering do any of you guys know how to get a Strapping young lad tone from a dual recto cheers :D

Using EMGs like Devin (and I believe the other dude), or a simple tubescreamer/boost, will get you pretty far in the right direction.

Scoop a lot of mids and compress heavily in mixdown and you'll have that aggressive flat/sterile tone. :D

deadly thanks man im sure im not the only person out there who want Devin Townsed tone :lol:

devin uses stilettos and dual recs both he has video on youtube of his rig just search it its massive.

Hope this helps
Mike

MetalMike said:
devin uses stilettos and dual recs both he has video on youtube of his rig just search it its massive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQaZQYxkW-s

Depends on the album, man! Everything up until The New Black (including Alien) was a 5150. TNB was a Dual Rec with EL34's, orange channel, and an OD808 infront. EMG 81's for pickups as always!

The DTB side of things is just about the same - Everything up to Synchestra was 5150, but Synchestra is the same DR/EL34/orange/OD808/81 setup. Ziltoid was all PODxt, but that doesn't really count as a DTB album.

So while he uses a Recto now, the tone you're probably looking for was done with a 5150.

Latest posts

Back