Stiletto owners - question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the.rev

Reaction score
if i like playing stuff like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, would a Stiletto be a good Mesa amp for me to check out?

don't get me wrong, I'm a biz Zep & Floyd fan, play in a classic rock band, and love my Stiletto. It is a great amp and I highly recommend it but it has tons of gain which you don't necessarily need for Zep and Floyd. You might be running a clean channel at high gain or an overdrive channel at minimal gain to get the sound you're after. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just a thing to consider. It does sound a lot like a Marshall dsl50 on steroids, just a bit better and way more versatile. Probably the best Mesa Boogie amp for classic rock though.

jab said:
don't get me wrong, I'm a biz Zep & Floyd fan, play in a classic rock band, and love my Stiletto. It is a great amp and I highly recommend it but it has tons of gain which you don't necessarily need for Zep and Floyd. You might be running a clean channel at high gain or an overdrive channel at minimal gain to get the sound you're after. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just a thing to consider. It does sound a lot like a Marshall dsl50 on steroids, just a bit better and way more versatile. Probably the best Mesa Boogie amp for classic rock though.

I agree...

I think the amp could work for you but with a caveat. If you need a very Fender-y clean tone, this amp may not work for you. There are two very good clean voicing options on the first channel that may or may not be your cup of tea. As for the gain, yep, this amp has a ton of it. But if you don't want that over-the-top liquid sustain, simply select the "crunch" voicing and dial back the gain. I think it could really work for lower-gain Zep and you may find that having some extra gain and sustain might be the ticket for some of Gilmour's stuff.

The bottom line, though, is for you to go test drive one if at all possible.

if you test drive the Ace here are a couple of tips.

Keep the treble and prescence real low to start with, around the 9 o'clock position.

Set everything else at the 12 o'clock position (with the master and output to suit)

Bear in mind the V30 speaker(s) will sound pretty harsh to start with but will warm up over time, also, Stiletto's need to be fairly loud before they open up.

Was funny... this past weekend I was working in my garage and had a classic rock station on... all these songs from the 60's 70's and 80's everything imaginable and pretty much every one I was thinking... My Stiletto does that sound... yup that one too... Every other amp I've ever had would do a few of them...but not all of em.

my deuce does zep and floyd just fine. just twist the knobs :)

imho the fat clean is as good as any fender and i've owned several over the years. i have no idea how mesa makes 34's sound as sweet as 6's :)

otter

I had a really nice 1965 deluxe reverb for 20 years.... it was a good one but I wanted more versatility. The deuce to me sounds very similar to the blackface 65 except with EL34's instead of 6V6's A little more presence/edge and a little less rubber. A very similar clean though... and a lot more similar to the Deluxe than the MKIV I had was. The only thing the deuce lacks is the reverb... I miss that reverb.

Latest posts

Back