Stereo 2:100 what pre amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arioch

Reaction score
Alright guys as it stands im using a Gt-8 into a stereo 2:100 into two Rectifier 4x12s....

Ive gotten some pretty decent tones out of it but would like to step up to a real preamp and use the GT-8 for effects only.

Now i was set on the recto recording preamp but after reading this thread

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/419565-mesa-recording-vs-engl-e530-preamp.html

about how the preamp's speaker simulation colors the recording outs AS WELL as the live outs, im pretty scared about getting it....what do you guys know/think about this issue?

Get a Triaxis (preferably the V2 non fat) and you have total flexibility plus awesome tones! Absolutely smokes the Engl e530

This year when I got a nice pay raise I splurged on a bunch of rack pieces just to try a bunch of stuff. I bought a 2:100, Simul 295, Carvin Tube 100, Marshall JMP-1, and an Engl 530. I tried every combination of these through a couple of 2x12's with Vintage 30's. I was amazed at how well the 2:100 stood up to the mighty 295! They really sounded pretty similar, at least when the 295 was in Simul-Class mode. I always thought those smaller donut-shaped transformers in Mesa's 2-space power amps would sound less ballsy than the monstrous transformers in the 295, but I was wrong! I would have kept both power amps but ended up selling the 2:100 to get a used Tremoverb head, which of course, is amazing.

While I owned the 2:100, the preamp that I ended up officially racking with it was my Boogie Studio Pre. They had some kind of magic going on between them, although none of the other preamps sounded anything less than awesome with the 2:100. Needless to say any of the Studio Pre's cousins or nephews like the Quad or Triaxis will sound amazing with your 2:100!

(My first post in years! Glad to be back...) :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back