Some help pls on my II C+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumbi

Reaction score
Hi folks

I have a II C+ combo that I know very little about. I bought the amp sometime in the mid-eighties and then promptly left NZ on a world tour and didn't return until 2001. The amp has been in storage all that time. Never gigged, only occasional trips to the practice room. The serial number is 12771, it has the '+' above the power cord and the 'MB' initials. I called Mesa this morning and spoke to the customer service guy who said he had no history of the amp available and just confirmed that based on the serial number, it is a II C+. It has the reverb but no EQ.

I have read as many posts on the forums as poss. but still can't get a handle on how desirable my amp might be. I don't have to sell it but would like to see the old girl used - so, would like to get an idea of value. Will post some pics tonight if I can work it out!

Thanks
gumbi

World Tour ? Were you in Crowded House ?

Here is a helpful guide that is more in depth than a simple verification by the serial number.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=18184&highlight=

Lol - no, I wasn't in Crowded House. By World Tour I mean myself and 2 old school buddies did a world tour in a woodie stationwagon.

I'll have a read of the idiots guide - thanks for that. BTW - does Mesa actually keep a history of the amps they build? I was under the impression they did but the guy I spoke to was, well ... a bit vague to say the least.

Thanks again
gumbi

No, Mesa does not keep a historical record of C+'s which is why I wrote one for prosperity and the IIC+ owners. The value is relative to the options, like Simul-Class, 60/100, Reverb, EQ, Export Transformers and hardwood cases.
The less you have, the less it will sell for, but you are probably one of 5 C+ owners in New Zealand. You may have a monopoly with one amp and it is more desirable simply because your demand will seriously outweigh the supply.

Hey! another kiwi MK2C+. let me know if you're gunna sell it... could be interested.
but you are probably one of 5 C+ owners in New Zealand. You may have a monopoly with one amp and it is more desirable simply because your demand will seriously outweigh the supply.

Strangely enough these aren't in huge demand over here... (New Zealand)
The last one on the local auction site closed with no bids then was sold for $1800NZ (~1400US) and it was a fully loaded combo (EQ, Simul, Reverb etc.)

You might be better selling offshore...

Dan__O said:
Hey! another kiwi MK2C+. let me know if you're gunna sell it... could be interested.
but you are probably one of 5 C+ owners in New Zealand. You may have a monopoly with one amp and it is more desirable simply because your demand will seriously outweigh the supply.

The last one on the local auction site closed with no bids then was sold for $1800NZ (~1400US) and it was a fully loaded combo (EQ, Simul, Reverb etc.)

Hi there! Sounds like we are in a very select minority (being kiwi's and IIC+ owners!)

I am still trying to figure out whether I want to sell or not - I am kinda attached to it although I haven't played for a while. Having had a quick look at the current value tho, I should probably take it away from my 10 year old right?! He's just started learning to play.

gumbi said:
Dan__O said:

Hi there! Sounds like we are in a very select minority (being kiwi's and IIC+ owners!)

I am still trying to figure out whether I want to sell or not - I am kinda attached to it although I haven't played for a while. Having had a quick look at the current value tho, I should probably take it away from my 10 year old right?! He's just started learning to play.

Any interest in trades?

gumbi said:

Considering you can't get nearly what it's worth, selling it in NZ (unless you find the right buyer) and considering if you do sell it, and then decide you want another, you'll have a real hard time replacing it, I personally think you should keep it.

Although having said that, you could probably put it on trademe with a 3-4k buy now price and see if anyone takes the bait. -you'll only loose a couple of bucks for the listing price.

I saw a 60W MK2C+ combo with EQ, reverb, etc sell on there for $600 once, not working, just needed a re-tube. I wasn't home when the auction closed. Makes me feel sick thinking about it now :?

Boogie might have historical records of your amp. When I brought in my C+ a few months ago, Mike B. told me who the original owner was and that he had removed to original EVM and replaced it with the highly regarded Altec 417-8H in the first year.

My C+ Simul Class is S/N 12632, so ours were probably built within 30 days of one another. Mine is dated; 4/84.

I think of selling mine once in a while but then I pull it out and play for a while and remember how good it sounds.

It you are not desperate for the cash, then I would suggest keeping it and what a great amp for a 10 year-old to learn on :D
Ian

ramalam said:
I think of selling mine once in a while but then I pull it out and play for a while and remember how good it sounds.

You're right mate - and that's why I bought a Boogie in the first place. Fired it up tonight and it still sounds primo!

Alot of people use a MXR or similar EQ in the FX loop to make up for the missing factory EQ. I have heard some people even prefer it to the factory version.

ramalam said:
Boogie might have historical records of your amp. When I brought in my C+ a few months ago, Mike B. told me who the original owner was and that he had removed to original EVM and replaced it with the highly regarded Altec 417-8H in the first year.

My C+ Simul Class is S/N 12632, so ours were probably built within 30 days of one another. Mine is dated; 4/84.

I have one from Australia i'm the second owner. original owner bought it in 85 in Aus. serial is 12514.. built 4/84

Latest posts

Back