Roadster with a 4x10 or 2x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotts

Reaction score
So my 4x12 sounds great, but it is too much for just about every venue I play. I end up bringing my lonestar 2x12 combo cab (guts were moved to a head cab) when we play out and the 4x12 just sits at my rehearsal space. The roadster sounds good through the black shadows but nothing to rave about.

I was planning to downsize the 4x12 with a 2x12 because it is more reasonable for my needs. I came across a used 4x10 Lonestar cab but will have to buy it to try it out. I'm thinking of getting the 4x10 instead of a 2x12 to help tame volume. The 4x10 is about the same weight and I also have the Lonestar which I know will pair nicely with the alnico speakers. I play classic rock and blues. Perhaps I'll sell my 2x12 lonestar cab and just keep the 4x12 and pair the roadster with the 4x10 for gigs. Just curious if anyone had ever played a roadster through a 4x10 (mesa or otherwise). I know the 4x10 will have less bass, but I dial most of the bass out to keep it from getting flubby on my 4x12 anyway so I don't think I'll miss much. Do you think the 4x10 might be better option than a 2x12?

I know the 4x10 will have less bass, but I dial most of the bass out to keep it from getting flubby on my 4x12 anyway so I don't think I'll miss much. Do you think the 4x10 might be better option than a 2x12?

I can only comment on this part. The 4x10 is 100 W, the 2x12 is 180 W. You'll at least be able to have the speaker moving at lower volumes for a nice breakup if you want. If you keep the 2x12, maybe try one of these:

https://wgs4.com/et65
https://wgs4.com/BL

Check out the sound clips. They're Recto and Lonestar amps.

I think you might like the Roadster better with a recto 2x12. I loved my 4x10 with my Dyne and MR, but with my other amps it's kind of meh. Trying to sell my 4x10 now.

If you can find one, the elder of the EVH 5150iii 2x12, with the G12H30 Anniversary speakers, in my opinion sounds great with my Roadster. The cab has the exact dimensions of the Recto 2x12. It also comes with tilt back legs, if you're into it.

Thanks for the replies and sound clips. I think you guys have steered me clear of the 4x10 idea. I have 2 GH12's in my 4x12 and two Vintage 30's and they sound awesome with my roadster. I know the 2x12 recto's sound good, but I think that they would cater best to traditional Recto tones which isn't what I normally play. I was thinking doing an Avatar 2x12 with Creambacks (65 or 75). Thoughts on that pairing?

I'd be concerned doing a 2x12 with G12H30's because it's rated for 60 watts. I'm sure it sounds good but I would be concerned about burning them up.

The 60 watt rating is a valid concern - I should have mentioned, I typically use the 50 watt setting on my Roadster - save for the clean channel - and even then, not very loudly. I have the Recto 2x12 with Vintage 30's and the 5150iii with the G12H30's - though its a mismatched impedance, it does sound good.For what you describe - I bet that Avatar with Creambacks would sound sweet.

Latest posts

Back