Roadster w/C90's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotts

Reaction score
I played an outdoor gig last night and the other guitar player and I decided to bring our 2x12 cabs instead of the 4x12 as we figured the neighbors would be less likely to call the police. I never played my roadster through my Lonestar 2x12 and I was a little reluctant to do it the first time at a gig. Overall I was pretty happy with the sound. I think channel 3 suffered a little compared to my 4x12, but every other channel sounded great; especially the cleans on ch1. In hindsight I'm not surprised because the first 2 channels of the roadster are based on the lonestar circuit so it makes sense that those channels came to life with that cab.

Not sure if anyone else has had similar success in pairing a roadster / rectifier with C90's. Does anyone use or prefer this setup?

Glad you had a good experience. Amps like the Roadster and Road King are so flexible, no single cab or speaker is best for them. Some people have tried mixing V30 and C90 in a 4x12, and the Road King cabs have both speakers in them. It would be interesting to try your Roadie with a 2x12 recto cab and a 1x12 or 2x12 Lone Star (or other C90) cab in parallel. I'd bet it would be amazing.

To go right over the edge, since Mesa has done switchable power per channel and switchable power tubes per channel, it would be cool to have switchable outputs per channel, so channels 1 and 2 could be through an open C90 cab and 3 and 4 through a recto cab, or whatever.

I play my mini recto through a 4x10 and it sounds different, but still great. It also sounds great through a 2x12 recto cab.

elvis said:
To go right over the edge, since Mesa has done switchable power per channel and switchable power tubes per channel, it would be cool to have switchable outputs per channel, so channels 1 and 2 could be through an open C90 cab and 3 and 4 through a recto cab, or whatever.

I like this idea. I could probably do it manually with an A/B/Y box, but I'm not sure if it's designed to handle speaker loads. It wouldn't switch automatically but it gets you a similar result.

The other guitar playing in my band wanted to configure a 4x12 in an X pattern with two different speakers (V30's and something else) and then have 2 inputs; one or each type of speaker. Hook it up each type through a separate output on the back of the amp to get true stereo. Combine that with your idea and I think that would be a nice feature.

I thought it did, but never looked into how it actually worked.

Does anyone wire their cabs the way I described or would that be a special project?

Latest posts

Back