Roadster channel switching problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullen

Reaction score
I got a new Roadster head about a month ago. Sounds great and apart from pops sometimes when changing channels everything worked great.

But the last couple of times when rehearsing with my band at quite high volumes, I´ve noticed that when changing channels, the sound dissapears for a second and then slowly rises up again. I haven´t noticed this before when I had the amp at home and played at low volumes. Really annoying to say the least!

Anyone else have this problem?

Mine has a lag on the reverb engaging, but never noticed it on channel changes. I tend to start a song on one channel and leave it there other than hitting the solo switch. I use the guitar volume control for clean to dirty more than most people that I see play.

Mine has a lag on the reverb engaging, but never noticed it on channel changes. I tend to start a song on one channel and leave it there other than hitting the solo switch. I use the guitar volume control for clean to dirty more than most people that I see play.

It has happened also to me. Only once so far, but I don't know why either.

Anyone?

Before you go live using the amp, you should cycle through all the channels, not an issue for me.

I have had pops, but nothing that would make me toss the amp out the window :lol:

As for the reverb, and I use it allot, I have had zero issues with mine. Perhaps its a tube issue?

Overall its built like a tank and good. I rarely go from channel 1 to channel 3 in a song anyway, I find myself riding that guitar volume knob. Granted not ideal, but it is what it is....

Yeah, I usually cycle through the channels during powerup. I only get pops when switching from ch 4 set to Modern to ch 3 set to Vintage, but not all the time. I don´t hear the pop at higher volumes, but perhaps it´s the pop that makes the volume dissapear for a second. However I´ve noticed the volume problem when switching from all channels.

This can´t be normal, can it?

If it is, how can Mesa let a product behave that way.

Dumb question but are you holding the switch down with your foot when you have the problem?

I sometimes get the oppisite effect.
change channel or turn off solo and the next channel is louder for a second no louder that the solo level. i always cycle through the channels and for that matter patches on the fx i use before any playing is done.
it dosn't happen often but often enough to piss me off when it does.
it could be a worn tube or slow relay??
good question.

the switching on the roadster is a little slow but thats because it has to change a whole lot more stuff than say an express, lonestar or older rectos. the more bells and whistles the slower the switching time. the difference maybe very slight but long enough to be noticable

I thought the switching on the Roadster was much faster than my Rectoverb's channel switching. I did have the pop going into channel 3, but even more peculiar was when going to channel 2 with reverb on, the reverb would surge and then act normally. Very weird. Never did find a fix for that problem. I even contacted Mesa about it. They assured me that nothing was 'wrong' with the amp.

The Roadster is my favorite Mesa amp but it is more than I would/could ever use (power wise) so I got rid of it. I only used it in Spongy/50w/Recto tracking mode so the Rectoverb seemed like a better fit at the time. Anyway, the Roadster paid off a nice chunk of Credit Card debt that's for sure!

another stupid question: can a not-so-stable cable or control pedal be the problem? The reason I ask is that my RK started doing some odd things yesterday. Channels 3 and 4 started cutting out on me. I tried some different things like making sure my tubes were secure in their sockets and all that good stuff. Funny thing was, I got irritated and unplugged the kontroller pedal. Poof... problem gone. Plugged it back in and in 5 minutes it did the same thing again. I unplugged the pedal again and finished practice w/ no problems. Do you think one of the connectors is bad or the sockets in the amp and pedal or maybe the pedal is bad? I did a continuity test on all the pins from one end of the cable to the other with my Fluke and they check out but I know that's not an exact science.

Ideas?

I have the same channel switching issue; that lag (not the popping sound) is so annoying it makes the amp unusable for me. I noticed it worsens as the amp gets warmer.

Something else. I'm not sure if I have lag on the reverb engaging ... When the amp is still "cold", I have some strange background reverbing sound whenever I switch to a clean channel that has the reverb switch on, it goes away after 1 second and then the regular reverb kicks in. When the amp is warmer I don't have this issue because by the time the channel switches, the strange reverb sound is gone ...

Anyone knows what could be happening ?
I guess I'll email Mesa with this ...

In case anybody cares, here is Mesa's answer :
"I would not say that this is a common issue, but I have seen it before and the fix is literally pushing a resistor slightly away from the heat of the tubes. The heat is causing a part on the muting circuit to activate for too long. The repair station will be able to get you taken care of ASAP."

I hope they're right !

Thanks a lot!

That will help when I send the amp in for repairs.

I lost ch 1 a couple of days ago. The volume is almost non existant and it distorts badly now. Might be a tube problem, but with the channel switching problem and a loud pop when I set the amp on standby, I´ve grown tired of the troubles. So it´s going back for repairs.

demonofthefall said:
In case anybody cares, here is Mesa's answer :
"I would not say that this is a common issue, but I have seen it before and the fix is literally pushing a resistor slightly away from the heat of the tubes. The heat is causing a part on the muting circuit to activate for too long. The repair station will be able to get you taken care of ASAP."

I hope they're right !

Can you please explain me better what's the fix for the "mute switching"? I'm italian and I can't translate these lines...sorry! I have a Triple that has this problem, so I'd like to fix it! Thanks in advance!!!

Latest posts

Back