Roadster ½ stack in - Mark III out...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eevil

Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

Have been reading these forums like a madman for couple of years already, but never had a reason to write anything... Now it's time to share something about my GAS-building and stuff...

Couple of years ago I bought a used Mark III bluestripe combo and was pretty satisfied with the tones I got out of it, but still there was a some serious lacking in authority when played on-stage. Also I had (still for sale) this hardwood 1x12 Thiele which gave some authority to the sound. Still, the channel switching on Mk III is kinda cumbersome: I just cannot get the "greatest clean ever", "greatest crunch ever" and "greatest lead ever" with same settings.
I found many ways to deal with the problem, but still... I had to focus on fiddling the knobs in the guitar and it was pretty much distracting from the main point. So I built a helluva pedalboard (aka. drum raiser) to remedy this and.. well.. the weight was something about 45kg (~100lbs), so huge PIA to lug around... Sold this setup after half an year just because of the weight. I have some injuries in arms and also in back so... lugging is not the best part...

So I was thinking at getting a new amp also. My options were: Road King (too expensive), Roadster combo (too heavy), JVM 410 combo (too... not Mesa), Mark IV head (Mark-itis, fiddler on the roof), Dual rectifier (No reverb, tried 2ch single recto - not versatile enough same applies to 2ch dual), Lonestar (tried couple of times - clean excellent, lead=not-articulate smudge)

Couple of weeks ago I just bought a Roadster head and 4x12 traditional recto cab and holy smoke... :D This thing really beats the Mk III with versatility and also in authority. Also I was kinda afraid that the sounds would be shrill and "Black & Decker" -like, but nooo... so creamy and clear sounds that I have been playing more guitar and also more inspired just to play the guitar. I still have couple pedals but I'm too lazy to take them from closet and plug them in ^^

This set was used so the power tubes were kinda dull already - also they were installed in wrong way :p pairs in AABB (at least in online manual it is stated that the order should be ABBA). So I just put the Yellow Jackets in the A -positions and the not-so-dead pair in B... The brit with EL84 really shines ;) And with "homebrew-SimulClass" poweramp - the "100W" position also has nice thump & clear ping :D... I'm enjoying more and more this machine and also learning to cop with too-many-bells-n-whistles :D

The Brit or Tweed mode with Gain, Treble and Mid at full and others to taste will give REAALLLY biting and cutting lead sound. This kinda sound I could not found from Mk III :) The Vintage mode is more like classic Mesa territory and Modern... Well let's talk about huge and clear heavy rhythm :D Also the Clean and Fat are good to my ears. So the Mk III really was lacking versatility compared to this beast. I'm still having the honeymoon -phase ;) But still, this was fantastic - even in stock tubes...

The cabinet sounds good only when cranked - this is the tradeoff for this setup :p Also I tried the amp with the Thiele cab and I could dial in great tones with lower volume... But what kind of moron buys 100W tube amp and 4x12 for home use ;) well... Me!!.. Sorry neighbors.. I will use this also in gigs so don't worry :) And for smaller gigs (about 99,99% of them) I can take Palmer 1x12 (Private Jack) with the roadster and have great sounds in smaller package ;) Most of the time my gigs are in church, playing some cleanish-half rive stuff so this setup is overkill.. but oh-boy what an overkill :D Still, when there's need I can always get to the heavy-land ;)

I'm not completely sure about the english articles but try to get the message... :lol:

Peaches :)

I bought my Roadster 2x12 Combo about 2 years ago and I've had maybe 5 bad days with it, and 4 of them were my fault. :wink:
Congrats on the purchase of one of the best amps Mesa has ever made! :wink:

Well done on the Roadster - and there is nothing wrong with your English either ..

Great amp, and I agree that Tweed / Brit are excellent. Huge variety of tones available. I have now settled on =C= EL34's with a Tung Sol in V1 to brighten up the preamp response in CH3 and 4. I also leave an EP boost on low, which improves clarity and "presence" through my set up

Certainly worth trying a new set of power tubes

Yeah. I'm still in a learning process with getting the tones I need out of this setup.

Basically I've found this layout to be best:
- ch1 tweed set to glassy clean
- ch2 brit with the Crunch
- ch3 vintage lead
- ch4 modern crunchy rhythm

There's still some problem with cleans. The lower notes have some kind of overlaying noise over the fundamental note. And no it's not overdriven sound that I can tell ;) maybe the tubes needs to be changed.. Later when I have the funds again to buy something guitar-oriented... I have a lots of JJ preamp tubes laying around but I really don't get along the tone I get from those: the brightness is gone and hi-mid mayhem it is :p...

Chester said:
Great amp, and I agree that Tweed / Brit are excellent. Huge variety of tones available. I have now settled on =C= EL34's with a Tung Sol in V1 to brighten up the preamp response in CH3 and 4. I also leave an EP boost on low, which improves clarity and "presence" through my set up

Well my plan was to get couple of tung-sols and some balanced PI tube, maybe some other tubes also :)... The el34s are in my must-try list, but not the first one. The winged C 6L6s were great in MK III so those tubes could lend some "mazik" to the roadster ;)

But the roadster has seduced me to play more guitar and to fiddle the knobs less ;) this also gives more inspiration than the old setup :) playing technique is the next thing to focus on as this new setup reveals some problems in my picking :p the biggest problem being too pronounced picking on lower strings.

I don't know if anyone has noticed differences in different strings? Couple of years ago I was pretty uninspired by the feel of the guitar with my Mk III and by some twist of thought I bought a set of DR strings and it changed the response and feel of the guitar completely. I had been using GHS strings for a long time already and this was a revelation to me. With the MK III the GHS strings were really stiff and the wound strings were somehow muddy and dull - the DR strings on the other hand were glassy and had more piano-like tone in them with more overtones than GHS.

Given To Fly said:
I bought my Roadster 2x12 Combo about 2 years ago and I've had maybe 5 bad days with it, and 4 of them were my fault. :wink:

I was also considering the combo but the gravity kept me thinking... ;) But this head + cab rocks more than I can play.

About year ago I tested the spanking new combo. But I did not enjoy the combo when I tried to lift it as I have already pretty much broken back and also my hands are injured some time ago..

Eevil said:
Chester said:
But the roadster has seduced me to play more guitar and to fiddle the knobs less ;) this also gives more inspiration than the old setup :) playing technique is the next thing to focus on as this new setup reveals some problems in my picking :p the biggest problem being too pronounced picking on lower strings.

Given To Fly said:

I was also considering the combo but the gravity kept me thinking... ;) But this head + cab rocks more than I can play.

About year ago I tested the spanking new combo. But I did not enjoy the combo when I tried to lift it as I have already pretty much broken back and also my hands are injured some time ago..

My first thought when I plugged into the Roadster after the UPS man dropped it off (it was like styrofoam to him :shock: ) was "Wow! This amp sounds great, but I kinda suck!" It certainly does not hide flaws in your technique; nor does it hide your talent. :wink:

Chester said:
Well done on the Roadster - and there is nothing wrong with your English either ..

Certainly worth trying a new set of power tubes

Well here's a clip from the noise I mentioned earlier: click here
Recorded with iPhone so you can hear the octonauts in background ;)

Signal flow: LP goldtop with JB/Jazz -> cable -> roadster -> 1x12 thiele

Roadster was on ch2 Brit, gain cranked, t13:00, m cranked, b cranked, p 16:00, master 8:00, 50watt diode - fx loop bypassed. I can hear that noise in recto cab also but thiele has wider freq.response so it is easier to hear.

I'm assuming this is most likely tube related issue. But I just want to be sure before buying whole set of tubes ;)

I'm considering this kind of set:
V1 tung-sol or Mesa, other preamp tubes from Mesa.
Power tubes from Mesa or JJ... JJs are cheaper and dealer can select tubes with proper rating for Mesa.

Still I want this amp to be plug-n-play, not the "tube rolling is my hobby"-amp.

Eevil

Back