Road King channels 3 and 4 uses/preferences

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henweigh

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm a proud owner of a Road King II, and I was just curious in what context you all use the high gain channels for rhythm/soloing/etc.

A little about me and my preferences. The tone I'm going for with my band in general is something akin to Coheed and Cambria, New Found Glory/modern pop punk, and grunge/90s alternative. Those aren't necessarily altogether on the same page, but basically what I try to get out of my high gain tones is enough beefiness for hard riffing and palm muted chugging, but at the same time enough clarity to be able to hear all the intervals of 3 and 4 note chords played with a lot of distortion.

I personally find that for almost all of my high gain stuff, I gravitate to channel 4 on modern. Maybe it's just the heavier bass that gets me, but the channel just feels more driving to me. For solos, I generally stay in channel 4, hit the solo switch and kick on a Memory Man delay I have that also has the level boosted a little bit. I have my 3rd channel set to vintage, but I almost never use it unless I'm playing covers of stuff like Pearl Jam, random 80s pop, or anything blusier, where that "modern" distortion just seems a bit too saturated and over the top.

Now, I realize that I'm probably not taking full advantage of both channels, even as far as my own needs go. I'm sure all sorts of users have their own way of achieving usable, great tones. Of note, I'm almost sure I'm not using channel 3 to its full potential; I haven't read many Road King reviews since I bought it a year ago, but as I remember most people asserted that channel 3 vintage was the real liquid soloing tone of the amp. However, I always feel like it sounds a bit tame clicking into it coming off the sustain and saturation of channel 4. If I choose to fool around with channel 3 for a prolonged period at a band practice or something and just let my ears adjust to it though, it does seem to have a certain cut and clarity that channel 4 doesn't. Maybe it's the boomy bass of channel 4 being a little muddier to my ears. Still, I can't seem to get away from the aggressiveness of channel 4 for both solos and rhythms.

So... how does everyone else play with these 2 channels? Particularly interested in anyone that spends most of their playing time with a band playing high gain, hard rock.

I have a Roadster and use channel 3 in Raw mode for moderately crunchy tones. I find that the Raw mode sounds like the modern mode but with less gain on tap. Crank the gain up pretty high (around 2:30) and it makes a great heavy crunch channel. I also use channel 4 in Modern mode for heavy saturation.

I have a Road King 1 and I agree, it feels weird going from Modern to Vintage mode for solos. Modern mode is still great for lead, if you are using that for your rhythm sound, I would stick with it for lead.

Roadster here, I agree 100% with OP.
Channel 4 for most everything, and 3 for older stuff.

I don't use my Roadster's f/x loop so I've found myself playing mostly on channel 4 modern at band volume, and switching to a slightly louder channel 3 in modern mode for leads!

Back