Road King 2 - v.2?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMac5

Reaction score
I was looking around the Mesa for a manual when I noticed there are two manuals for the Road King 2., a v.1 and a v.2. Has anybody heard of this?

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

Looks like the External Trigger jack is now a Tuner/Tuner Mute setup.....

**sigh**

lol

That's a nice change....... Not sure if it's a complete change or what though.......... I didn't really read it all... I just compared the two sections really briefly.... The jacks are the same but the labelling and descriptions vary. It's clearly changed from Ext. Triggers - Latching/Pulse to Ext Mute/Out - Tuner......

I'm interested in hearing more if anyone knows anything........
I have an Ernie Ball Jr with a tuner setup in it now but that would have been pretty nice to do it straight out of the KK.....

I don't get it. Is it just the manual or did they change the amp again?

I picked up my Road King II lastnight .. It arrived from Mesa to my dealer yesterday, and was on order for ? 2 1/2 months ..

I got the old manual and there is NO TUNER output on my amp ..

it is Days old ..

i got my rkII b4 most and it has ext. trigger no tuner out. it even has the crackling problem and for some reason ch 2 sounds buzzy lately. almost driven even with gain at 11:30. i dnt think its dead tubes. will mesa make a realtime runthrough on my amp and fix out the kinks? has anyone repaired the problems w/ their rkII? also besides the ch3 vintage to ch4 modern crackling problem i think theres a crackle between 1 fat and 4 vintage. why are their kinks in such high quality amps? i know the roadster was recalled? i almost want them to recall this and get it right. will they fix it for me if i go to the factory?> how do i schedule this?

talking to Mesa today about my RK II problem, I asked the guy since my RK was a week old why I did not have the Tuner Out, as some here have posted they have it ..

He said .. " No way, we have not made, nor shipped a RK II with a tuner out yet, and wont for a couple months" ..

We have updated our review of the Road King Series II to include information on this engineering change:

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0906_MesaBoogieRoadKing.php#comments

(if you read the review before, skip to the Other Comments section)

New Road King Series II amps will be (or are) shipping with the Tuner output if existing inventory of RK II circuit boards are exhausted. This feature required a change on the circuit board since it involves routing audio to a new output, so unfortunately, retrofits/upgrades are impossible due to the complexity of the change.

Basically, there was the RK II. Then the Roadster came out, and people liked the Tuner out, so the feature was rolled into the RK II. There are no other changes to the amp.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. There are numerous ways to send a signal to a Tuner and keep it out of your signal chain.

Scott

kingster911 said:
i got my rkII b4 most and it has ext. trigger no tuner out. it even has the crackling problem and for some reason ch 2 sounds buzzy lately. almost driven even with gain at 11:30. i dnt think its dead tubes. will mesa make a realtime runthrough on my amp and fix out the kinks? has anyone repaired the problems w/ their rkII? also besides the ch3 vintage to ch4 modern crackling problem i think theres a crackle between 1 fat and 4 vintage. why are their kinks in such high quality amps? i know the roadster was recalled? i almost want them to recall this and get it right. will they fix it for me if i go to the factory?> how do i schedule this?

You have tube issues. Call Mesa and ask for some new preamp tubes. I don't hear crackles from my RKII but still, tube amps are prone to the random crackle, hiss or pop. It's nothing get nuts about.

But I've heard of others with the crackle problem from the get-go. All of the first Series II's came with the crackle problem, but I think I'm the only one with the break-up sounding ch. 2. New preamp tubes? You mean the AX7's? How could they already be dead?

RR: Note-to-Self [mimicking Norm McDonald SNL newcaster]:

"Hold off on purchasing Road King II, current owners experiencing glitches."

RR said:

The number of "issues" reported here are about .000000000000000001% of all the RKIIs shipped. If you used internet-chatter to deter you from an amp purchase, there'd be no amp you'd feel safe buying. My RKII has been perfect, outside of the V2 tube that broke during shipping.

kingster, it's not at all unlikely that the ax7's are bad if they were damaged during shipping.

As for crackling, I don't hear any in mine so when exactly is it happening? I can try to make it happen when I get home.

Dave

CudBucket said:
RR said:

The number of "issues" reported here are about .000000000000000001% of all the RKIIs shipped.

Dave
Dave, you know I'm kidding. Try to be a wise crack. I know the durability of Boogies are exceptional especially how much electronic component squeeze into the chassis. :wink:

Latest posts

Back