Road King 2 - Effects Loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treachery

Reaction score
I finally graduated to a Road King 2 and i absolutely love it! I dialed into my tone with ease.

I play with 2 pedals: 1- tube screamer ; 1 - MXR Carbon Copy delay pedal

I hook up the tube screamer in the usual fashion- amp is OK

I then hook up MXR Carbon Copy into the effects loop- the volume drops by about 3/4's! I understand that there will be a slight volume drop which can be compensated with the effects loop level but in this case, the volume drop is ridiculous. I lose all bottom end and it sounds as if i'm playing through a transistor radio.

Additionally, the reverb effect is only slight. I engage the reverb and the difference in sound is only slight even if i turn it up all the way.

As a troubleshooting step, i change the v5 tube with a spare JJ ECC83S that i have and i change the v6 tube to a Stovtek- No difference. The change the v4 tube with another spare JJ ECC83S - No difference in reverb.

The effects loop is engaged in back and Loop 1 is active. All the other Loops are turned off. Without anything in the effects loop, the amp is working ok. When i hookup the MXR pedal, the amp goes into what i call "transistor radio" mode. Adjusting the Master & Output has no effect in regards to increasing volume.

I'm leaning towards the MXR Carbon Copy being defective... or maybe replacement tubes are incorrect?

Help will be appreciated.

Thanks

The Carbon Copy through my Roadster's series loop wasn't very audible either...Basically had to crank the effects mix level and the loops send level to hear a little delay coming through...

Yes. I tried the 2nd effects loop but the same thing happens- volume drop ridiculously low and amp sounds like a transistor radio. I increase the volume turn down the master and vice-versa..

Cranking up the MXR's mix is not it but thanks for the suggestion. The volume and tone drop is too dramatic for turning up the mix.

What delay pedal in the 200-250 dollar range will work well with the Road King 2 v2 effects loop?

I don't know about the reverb. The reverb effect is only slight. When i turn it up all the way, i'm expecting to hear as if i'm playing in a cave. But, the effect is almost constant at low-high settngs. I replaced ther reverb tube with a new spare tube- JJ ECC83S

I came across a few postings similar to my issue but there was no fix.

More help please.

Treachery said:
Yes. I tried the 2nd effects loop but the same thing happens- volume drop ridiculously low and amp sounds like a transistor radio. I increase the volume turn down the master and vice-versa..

Cranking up the MXR's mix is not it but thanks for the suggestion. The volume and tone drop is too dramatic for turning up the mix.

What delay pedal in the 200-250 dollar range will work well with the Road King 2 v2 effects loop?

I don't know about the reverb. The reverb effect is only slight. When i turn it up all the way, i'm expecting to hear as if i'm playing in a cave. But, the effect is almost constant at low-high settngs. I replaced ther reverb tube with a new spare tube- JJ ECC83S

I came across a few postings similar to my issue but there was no fix.

More help please.

Have you tried with different cables in FX-loop?

The pedal may be designed to go between guitar and amp, so it will not work in fx-loop properly. I have used a Boss GigaDelay (DD-20) for many years and it fulfills my needs pretty good and the tone is not bad. This also has selectable instrument or line -level modes. :)

For the reverb: try it in channel 1 or 2 in clean mode. I've found out in my Roadster that the reverb has most strength in the lowest gain modes and less available amount when moving toward higher gain modes :) With Tweed/Brit one is not able to get that cavernous reverb any more.

Latest posts

Back