returning the 25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok,

Now I think I get it.

Did some more testing.

If I set it up the following

Channel 1 FAT with the gain at 10:00(to get it REAL clean), channel 1 will be significantly softer then channel 2.

But when I set channel 1 gain at 12:00, channel 1 volume hangs with channel 2 and actually can get louder.

At this point to me it is still a good clean. In fact I prefer it. But I could see if you are looking for clean clean, this will have a bit more bite then you may want.

I think the 90 watter will get you what you want.

elvis said:
At low volume, the ch1 master must be set much lower than the ch2 master for equal volume. When you play loud, ch1 maxes out at about 11:00 while ch2 keeps getting louder to 2:00 or more. Eventually ch2 wins.

Right, this matches my findings almost exactly. Note: When I said my C1 volume is far louder than C2, I didn't note that my C1 gain is normally around noonish. Sometimes, 1:00 or so. Dropping it to 10:00 as mentioned later in this thread does drop the volume down.

It sure would be cool if Boogie made a 25 watt version of the Simul-Satelite to pair up with this and the mini recto. That would solve any volume issues and make a killer stereo setup.

I've been asking for the same thing. But realistically, it would probably only be slightly less expensive than a RV25 combo. So probably the best answer is a RV25 combo or MR + cab (which I already have anyway).

You guys hit it on the head there with those last few posts. I can get Ch1 to match the volume of ch2 if I put it on fat, or even crunch and back off the gain, but the cleans then aren't the bell like, crystal clear cleans that the amp is capable of. Not bad by any stretch, but my style of playing lends to pristine cleans and heavy saturated gain. On the 25, this simply is not possible. Well, it is, but it means pegging the vol on clean ch1, and leaving the volume on ch2 at like 10 o'clock at best, leaving the amps overall volume quite low and nowhere near giggable or even jammable with a drummer. Hence my dilema and why I swapped out for the 90W variety. I wish this wasn't the case for me. I fucking love the 25W and the tones I can get. However, I need to be able to match my bell like clean volume with my 2c or mkIV modes high gain, and the 25W is wholly incapable :( If you're looking for a 25W, I've started by ebay auction at 1100 bucks. just search mark v 25.

ESP M-II NTB custom shop
ESP V NTB custom shop
EMG 81/85 (in both)
Mark V (well, in a few days)
Fulltone Clyde wah
Modded tube screamer

gone but not forgotten, yes, I've gone through a lot of mesas lol. Haven't figured out how to put all this in my sig yet, but I thought I'd list it here since this thread has gained some traction.

Mark IV combo
Mark IV short head
Mark V mini 25
Dual Rec
Triple rec
DC-3 combo
DC-5 Head - WOW, what an amp. Regret parting with it.
Nomad series 50w, or was it 45 I don't recall, only owned it for about a month. (a rare miss by mesa, wow... horrible, the nomad series... ugh..)

elvis said:
dodger916 said:
Two EL84s will run out of headroom at higher volumes. Mesa needs a beefier power section, either two more EL84s or a two x 6L6 version. I'm waiting for version 2...

I can't imagine why Mesa would do this. If you need more power, buy the big V. You get the extra channel, 3 power modes and WAY more low-end, thanks to the beefier tubes.

I'd rather see a 25W satellite for stereo. Two 25W amps would be louder than a single 50W and probably very close to 100W volume, but in stereo. In a Rectoverb 25 combo form factor it would be pretty convenient to run stereo, W/D or W/D/W with pretty much any other amp.

I see three main advantages of the V:25 versus the bigger Marks:
1) Convenience and ease of transport. I have enough heavy amps, and I don't relish carrying another amp to make-up for only two EL84s.
2) Mark preamp section.
3) EL84 power section....but two tubes doesn't cut it for me. I enjoy the warmth and compression of 84s, but in my experience, they begin to lose their "voice" and integrity at gig volumes with only two tubes. For my purposes, 30 to 40 watts is perfect for the gigging and playing I do.

Mesa already has the technology with multiple 4xEL84s amps, including the lunchbox-sized T/A 30. However, I can also see where a 35-40 watt mini Mark would divert some business from the higher-priced big Mark. I've toyed with the idea of getting a Mark V, but I think I'll try a Lonestar Special first...

I had my V 25 up for sale . But decided to keep it for awhile since the Canadian dollar is crap right now and
the Mrk V head alone is up to 2600.00 here because of the dollar atm.

Was running thru a Theile EV cab clone, but picked up a sweet EV loaded 2x12 to see what the sonic differences
might be. A 1x12 is not cab enough imho for the V 25 to really shine. It needs at LEAST 2x12s. As well, I noticed that the 10 watt mode does NOT hold a candle to the 25 watt mode
of the Mrk V 25. At least not with this particular 2x12. So, the V 25 is here for awhile yet.

Could you work in an EHX 44 magnum for the nights when you need a little more clean headroom? It can be its own clean channel. Maybe A-B or something to that effect. I always have the mag and a distortion pedal in my gig bag just in case my amp has issues. Never leave home without it!

Got my full size V. Million times better than the mini. Channel 1 is better, channel 3 is better, and there is the additional channel 2 as well... props to mesa for the effort on the mini, but its basically the goopy afterbirth of the V. Lower wattage is the current fad and marketing gimmick. If you want the V sound, buy a V.

A million times better, huh? Wow, I'm glad I didn't get the big Mark V after all then, because my head would explode with orgasmic nucular 80s rock mode, big hair explosion. :shock: heck it would do that if it was even 5 times better, so I better steer clear of the big V! :wink:

Well that was a drunken and regrettable post. Should have said million times better for what I neef an amp to do. The 25 was and is an awesome amp. Just not for me. The full 5 is. The headroom issue on ch1 I still think will be addressed in their mark 6 mini or whatever the next one is. Seems like an issue for a lotra folks.

Hypnotoad696 said:
Got my full size V. Million times better than the mini.

A bit of an over statement I'd say. I never bought a V because I thought the IV was better on the Lead channel. The lead channel on the V:25 IMO, is better than the V. I think you probably should never have bought the V:25 since, if you're diming the gain channel on your amp at live shows, you need more power in the first place. In it's "sweetspot" there is no volume "issue" between channels on the V:25. If anything, as stated before, the clean channel starts out with more volume (at the same settings) than the lead channel. This would be plenty of volume for small gigs and would give you the headroom you need. That's what these amps are for. That, and recording.

Goopy afterbirth? I don't know. I think the Mark V:25 may be one of the best initial releases by Mesa in a long time. Lastly, let's keep in mind that we all knew, the power section had EL84s in it. Two of them. If you need tons of headroom at high volumes, you'd be better suited looking elsewhere. Or at least consider running an external power amp with more juice. But in that case, it seems more like a bandaid.

But if the amp isn't the right tool for you, replace it. In this case though, I don't think the amp is the issue. The application of it, may be wrong.

Dave

I can relate. I've had a lot of amps over the years, but for me the V25 will be sticking around. I may add the RectoVerb 25 and another cab and get a Twin Cities or similar switcher now. :mrgreen:

as i stated in another post but more appropriate here.i bought the mk5:25 strictly for a practice amp..i can get most of the same tones from the mini that i get with my big v.i for one do not have any of the channel volume problems im reading about..it has to be set up a certain way..
i really have some brutal tones going on with mk iv mode and i love it.....and sounds good at any volume...
i didnt like the el84 sound at first but am bonding with it quite well.....and it also has to do with the pickups that guys use in there guitars as well
imho.. :evil: this one is a keeper for sure.

yeah as i stated above, that was a regrettable drunken post. The 25 was a phenomenal amp tone wise, it just didn't do what I need in the headroom area with clean tones. F'king awesome amp, just not for my application. The lack of low end from the 84s was also hurting the sweep on my wah. I thought it was my imagination, but when I got the full V, it was clear that it wasn't my imagination.... anyways yeah my post blasting the 25 was dumb. It's an awesome amp, just not for my playing style and musical taste. Hell it's a boogie, the only product they've ever produced that can be legitimately criticized was the Nomad series.

How much bass were you running to get your cleans? The fat mode has a lot more bass and if you're dialing in more on the bass dial or EQ, that is probably killing your headroom?!?

Latest posts

Back