Recto Cab Discontinued/Changed?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3124+

Reaction score
Mesa has discontinued the Rectifier 4x12 with the straight sides and slanted baffle. The straight-sided oversize cabs have straight baffles now. I really prefer the original design with the slanted baffle. Also, the new 4x12 cabs are rated at 240 watts. They used to be 280 watts. What is going on here?

they might be dropping down to using black shadows instead of the actual celestions. black shadows are rated at 60 watts, while the celestion are 70watts each.

Elpelotero said:
they might be dropping down to using black shadows instead of the actual celestions. black shadows are rated at 60 watts, while the celestion are 70watts each.

That is totally incorrect! :shock:

The black shadow is just mesa's name slapped on speakers OEM'd for them (i.e. Celestion 90s, EVM 12 L - when they were available, etc).

The Celestion V30s are no longer available from Celestion in the 70 watt rating. I believe this change happened a few years ago.

From the Celestion Website:

"General specifications
Nominal diameter 12", 305mm
Power Rating 60W
Nominal impedance 8? and 16?
Sensitivity 100dB
Chassis type Pressed steel
Voice coil diameter 1.75", 44.5mm
Voice coil material Round copper
Magnet type Ceramic
Magnet weight 50oz, 1.42kg
Frequency range 70-5000Hz
Resonance frequency, Fs 75Hz
DC resistance, Re 7.3? & 12.9?"

well the only reason i say is because the v30's inside my cab when I opened it about a year ago are celestion (w. celestion stickers) and are 70 watts. I know the celestion factory is moving away from England little by little and it is possible they finally stopped producing there altogether. the v30s Mesa puts in their cabs are the ONLY v30s in the market made in England. the rest are all offshored.

It says in the newest product catalog that the Recto Standard is now available with a straight front straight baffle, or a straight front, angled baffle, or just the angled front cab. So, now, there are three alternatives. I too like the straight front, angled baffle. I would've been extremely disappointed if they had discontinued it. Just read the fine print. (Page 51 under the Full stack here: http://www.mesaboogie.com/catalog/acrobats06/GuitarCabs-6pgs.pdf)
It reads recto standard straight comes with straight baffle. Also available with slant baffle.
-AJH

Just out of curiosity does Mesa do cabs with caster cups? Or do you have to take your casters off everytime you stack one up?

They come with removable casters, and no caster cups. You have to remove the casters to stack it, but, by doing this, the stack is a lot more rigid by lower it's center of gravity and making the top cab less top heavy.

-AJH

I was just thinking that caster cups would be a nice option so that you don't have to always take your casters off.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't use them though. I even bought removable casters on my ATA flight case so that if I stack it I could take the casters off. I'd never leave them on when stacking, even on the bottom cab, just because of how top heavy they can be. Plus, I like the sealed look, with no wheels in between the top and bottom cab. I think it looks more like a solid "stack." But that's probably just me. It only takes me about 30 secs. to get all the casters off my amp, and about the same to get them back on, so removing them doesn't really bother me that much.

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
It says in the newest product catalog that the Recto Standard is now available with a straight front straight baffle, or a straight front, angled baffle, or just the angled front cab. So, now, there are three alternatives. I too like the straight front, angled baffle. I would've been extremely disappointed if they had discontinued it. Just read the fine print. (Page 51 under the Full stack here: http://www.mesaboogie.com/catalog/acrobats06/GuitarCabs-6pgs.pdf)
It reads recto standard straight comes with straight baffle. Also available with slant baffle.
-AJH

Hmm, that's interesting. There is no mention of a baffle option on the Mesa website, and there's no baffle option on the '07 price list.

Latest posts

Back