Recto 2x12 V30 super boomy and bassy during recording

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterdenny

Reaction score
Hey folks I added a 2x12 recto cab with the vintage 30 speakers to my road king combo and over all live it sounds pretty good. However when I track the v30 speakers are really bass heavy and boomy. Im messing with different ways to tackle this and wonder what some of you guys do. Or should these even sound like this? My C90s sound as expected so not sure what gives. Some folks say porting the cab is a solution but I would rather not cut a hole in a new speaker cabinet and it just doesnt sound right to me to do that. Thoughts? Thanks. Peter

Move the mic towards the center cap.

Dial the amp in so it sounds right through a closed back cab rather than the open back cab.

Shelve the low end in DAW.

I do actually have the mic there. I have a pair of cascade fatheads two as well as SM57s that I am experimenting. I can certainly shelve the eq but wouldnt it be better to tweak it from the pres to control it prior to hitting the DAW? Im using a QU-32 though Im going to experiment with my meek. Im starting to think that when tracking I may separate the c90 and the v30s and do each individually. That way I can tweak the amp settings to favor each speaker config prior to recording. I also am going to crank up the v30s harder and see if they open up. I have heard that speakers need to break in but since I have never bought a new cab (always used) I am not sure what to do if so to move the process along. Thoughts? Thanks. They sound great live btw. Just gotta get that sound fixed on the tracking.

peterdenny said:
Hey folks I added a 2x12 recto cab with the vintage 30 speakers to my road king combo and over all live it sounds pretty good. However when I track the v30 speakers are really bass heavy and boomy. Im messing with different ways to tackle this and wonder what some of you guys do. Or should these even sound like this? My C90s sound as expected so not sure what gives. Some folks say porting the cab is a solution but I would rather not cut a hole in a new speaker cabinet and it just doesnt sound right to me to do that. Thoughts? Thanks. Peter
I have a Mesa Recto-Verb amp and to me the G12T-75 or G15M-25 (greenbacks) respond alot better to this amp! Also a Scumback H75's sounds amazing to my ears and for recording. I don't like the Mesa V30 cabs in general but that's me. To boomy and not tight sounding in the low end. Swapping speakers is always an option but if you have the change you should try a Bogner cabinet with your Mesa.

They are muddy bassy.
I've been using a soldano 2x12 with eminence legends - much better.
Lighter too.

Try a different mic position. I have visited Fluff's website several times as he reviews many products and he suggested using the mic off axis to the speaker. Positioned such that the mic is pointed towards the intersection of the dust cap and cone but at an angle and not straight into the speaker. Also try compression with unity gain if you have that option. Generally during mix down I will apply EQ to alter the tone characteristic of that channel used to record the guitar. However, since I do not have a 2x12 cab used with my Roadster, the 412 is not as boomy or bass dominated. I would not port the cab as that will increase the mid dominance of the V30 (reason why I opted for Celestion G12H-75 creamback for the RA100 Combo) as the ported cab resulted in mid mudd that was difficult to dial out (it did sound great with a mix of the V30 and creamback but I prefer the creamback with that amp).

Also try moving the mic out from the amp grill. V30's will create a beaming effect due to the fabric dust cap and relative small size. Perhaps mic at center with offset pointing to the midpoint of the cone. When recording, I generally use two mic's with different response characteristics SM57 and RE320 (single channel for each or even add a stereo channel for both). Getting a good mic position is more of a learned art than I had thought.

Latest posts

Back