R.I.P. Les Paul

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris McKinley

Reaction score
Les Paul passed away today at age 94 from complications of pneumonia. An inspiring guitarist, both in terms of his technical prowess and his work ethic, Les Paul played and recorded into his 90's. He not only brought us the solid-body electric guitar in general, but also one of the most loved and enduring electric guitar designs of all time. Vaya Con Dios, Les.

Get out yer black armbands, boys!! :( :(
Met him once long ago at a signing...super nice dude.
He WILL be missed. Let those old Gibsons CRY....

Chester and Lester are back together again. Mary, too.
Vaya con Dios, Waukesha Wizard. :(

Godspeed, Rhubarb Red! And thanks for these:

CIMG0376.jpg

TimeSignature said:
Dont forget about multitrack recording and overdubbing! The man was a talented genius......

That's true. Not only would the world of guitar be different, but the ENTIRE music industry. Who knows, without him we might still have to "step up to the mic" to take a solo. I'm bummed that I never went down to see him play. He will be missed.

On the bright side, at least he lived a long, full life. He experienced things that most of us can only hope to experience.

A couple years ago I was at an awards banquet that Les was also at. He was giving the "Les Paul Award" to someone (I forget who). After he presented the award he stepped back up to the mic and said:

"I feel like an old building with a brand new flagpole."

He of course was standing next to a smokin' hot girl that was hired to hand awards to the presenters as they come on stage. He looked over at her and smiled as she blushed. The crowd started roaring with laughter. That might be my foundest memory of Les Paul.

RIP

Latest posts

Back