Quality control issues on day one

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueshurler

Reaction score
So I picked up my Fillmore 50 today. Fantastic amp. But when I got it home and started unpacking everything from the back I noticed a couple of problems. There's quite a long Bolt hanging out to the right of the power tube section and it just seems to be dangling there. It won't screw in and it won't come out and I've no idea what it's for. Also the retainer for the power cord isn't screwed in anywhere although I can see where it should be screwed in. Considering that seven people signed off on the inspection, I'm a little disappointed. Now I have to take it back to the shop which is a half hour away. In good traffic.

Welcome to the forum.

That ‘long bolt’ is a chassis tension screw, it’s there to keep tension on the chassis so it doesn’t rattle. Mesa has been using them for years, my early 2000’s Nomad 2X12 had it as well.

If it sounds good and plays well just screw down the power cable clamp and save yourself the drive.

Dom

Welcome to the forum.

That ‘long bolt’ is a chassis tension screw, it’s there to keep tension on the chassis so it doesn’t rattle. Mesa has been using them for years, my early 2000’s Nomad 2X12 had it as well.

If it sounds good and plays well just screw down the power cable clamp and save yourself the drive.

Dom
So should I just turn it in until it's snug and leave it at that even though an inch of it is still exposed? Thanks for the answer by the way!

The chassis tension screw should be hand tight and will stick out of the chassis when properly tightened. If you crank it with a screwdriver, you could deform the chassis.

Hand tight is not going to preload the chassis with enough tension.

Use a screwdriver, but as mentioned don’t go cranking down on it. Just make it snug, maybe an 1/8 of a turn once the screw makes contact with the cabinet and stops turning freely. I just snug mine down with a screwdriver till the screw stops then a hair more. Too tight will over distort the chassis and too lose will vibrate itself to no contact/tension.

You could also reach out to Mesa for the proper tightening requirements ;)

Dom

Well, I really want to thank you guys, because now the problem is solved without a trip to the dealer. Because had I gone back, I may have bought that R8 VOS Iced Tea Les Paul that I was also looking at. And that would have been terrible...

Back