Old Rectifier Maintenance: Back to Mesa, or off to Voodoo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So, I grabbed my current two channel recto off of ebay. Sounds great in general....has some crackling problems as notes die out sometimes, but it's faint...probably a tube problem.

I tried swapping tubes from the 7025 STR 12AX7s and STR 420s to the current production Mesa tubes and the amp sounded HORRIBLE. I couldn't believe it...stuck the old tubes right back in.

It got me thinking....being as this amp is atleast 14 years old...is it serial number 3xxx....is it about time I had someone look over the amp? Is there anything I should begin worrying about? The amp seems fine, but it has a long history that I don't know about.

So, what are the recommendations from Boogie experts? I know a lot of you own old amps....should I send it back to Mesa to get it tuned up?

OR

Should I send it to Voodoo or FJA, and get the amp modded while bringing it back up to spec? It's not that I don't like the sound of the amp....I really do...but it would probably cost about the same, if only a little more, so I'm keeping this option in the back of my head.

I just got recruited into a REALLY heavy metal band, so maybe the modded recto would work well in that territory?

Appreciate the input!

Great question! I also just acquired a 2 channel, from 1996, so I was actually wondering the same exact thing. My amp works perfectly fine, but I was also debating on whether or not to have it checked out by a mesa authorized repair center. I guess they would check the caps, pots, wiring, transformer? I don't know really. Maybe somebody knowledgeable could help us out

Back off to Mesa and save all your paper work. New caps and such is pretty much standard fare after 10 years is standard on any tube amp to bring it back to life.

Monsta-Tone said:
:D Depending on where you are, I'm a Mesa tech! :D

Otherwise, off to Mesa. If they've been modded too much or poorly, I just send them in to Mesa anyway.

PM me if you're interested.

I recommend the Monsta-Tone option :)

He took great care of me! I can't recommend him enough!

I have a 3 channel Triple that does the same thing as the original poster's does, a slight crackling, or "fuzz" as the note dies out. What do you think this could be?

I just bought a Rectoverb on ebay. The guy shipped it really quickly and packed it very well.

He didn't remove the power tubes (EI EL34's), and had the footswitch just laying in the back of the amp.
The power tubes took quite a beating and the alignment pins were broken off, but no broken glass.
I put them back in and fired it up. Pretty much just what you describe is what was happening.

I swapped them out and changed the PI tube for good measure and now it sounds beautiful.

I haven't found a Mesa power tube that can sound as good as the STR 420's.
You might pick some up and try them in your amp. I had a '95 DR with the 420's and it blew my '99 DR away tone wise.
The '99 had STR 440's in it though, so I don't know if it was the amp or the tubes, but I've never found a DR that sounded as good, so I haven't bought another one yet. Yet! :lol:

Please don't have the amp modded. Modding great old Rectos, JCM 800's, etc...makes baby kittens cry.

Hey Monsta, where are you in NM? In a few months, I'm heading out to Los Alamos and Albuquerque for 4 days on business.

I'm about 200 miles from Albuquerque.
Silver City is in the lower southwest corner. Funny place, up in the mountains with lots of trees. Surrounded by desert on one side, and national forest on the other.

Latest posts

Back