Old Dual Rec and Tone with Stiletto - Tube questions...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les_paul_gold_top

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just a couple of questions which I am sure has been touched on many times - but I'll ask again. I run a Stiletto II with a DR into a 4 x 12 Stiletto Cab - I use a Headbone to switch them. I have removed a set of power tubes from the DR to try to get some parity with output level feel of both amps.

The DR is a Rev E - #602. Here's the problem - the Stiletto is so focused, that when you change over I have to bump up/monkey with the DR volume to keep up – I believe it is just a volume perception issue. The DR is very dark. I love the tone of the DR - and when you string a few songs together with just it - everything is cool.

What I am asking is that I have changed over to newer Tung Sol tubes and have the standard Mesa 6L6 tubes in it. What can I do to brighten the amp even further. It has so much gain - I was wondering if anyone has ever put in a lower gain/brighter sounding tube 12A?7 in the V1/V2? Just a thought. I also have a 60's Brimar that is currently unused - and some 60's Mullards that are currently in the Stiletto that I was thinking of trying. Has anyone ever used like a NOS RCA/GE or those old fender like tubes with any success? I have tried El34's and I actually prefer the 6L6 (seem like more top end compared to the El34 - different El34s maybe?) - also I am using the modern mode only - I call it the chug. What a great amp both of these are! I love them both very much....

Thanks for your help and input...

Tim

To lower the gain a bit try a 5751 in V1.But dont use any of the current production 5751"s,in my opinion they sound like a worn out Chinese AX7.Go for one of the NOS 5751's.I have a number of different NOS 5751's and they all sound good to me.Timber Wolf or Mavguy can give you better direction as to how each different brand will affect your tone,they are much more critical and have a keener sense than my old ears,or maybe I'm just lazier when it comes to critiquing tone.As for using NOS RCA/GE or as you say "those older Fender like tubes" with any success in modern amps,the answer is an absolute yes.In my opinion there isnt a current production preamp tube that can compare to almost any NOS,even most used old stock will be an improvement.

Agreed on all counts. I've found Mullards/British tubes to be slightly darker and creamier than the American or Holland made tubes. I've had great results with American tubes (GE/RCA/Sylvania/Raytheon). Just make sure you get good strong ones, and preferably a seller with a return policy, as NOS tubes can have static or be microphonic, especially in V1.

If you want to brighten up your amp you don't have to go to a lower gain tube than 12ax7. The post about vintage RCA 12ax7a is good advice. Also, check out the thread titled "Matsushita." Shredd 66 did a good investigation there. I prefer used of that tube to NOS ones. Two other choices are the Raytheon long blackplate, round getter halo, a fave of Timbre Wolf, and Canadian Rogers or Electrohome 12ax7's, actually same as Amperex Bugle Boy shortplate, but lower priced. Also, the Sylvania 12ax7 long grayplate tend to be the highest gain 12ax7 out of all of them, and their sonics include huge bottom and bright top, great chugger. Might have to get a few to get a fairly non-microphonic one. Best to my ears is the yellow print 12ax7/ecc83/7025 long grayplate in that brand. All can be found over time on eBay. You might need to get 2 or 3 of each type, for spares or to get a really great one. Stokes is right about using new production tubes. There is a far wider tonal palette in the old stock stuff and they are better built and tend to be nicer in sound as well.

IMHO zeroing in on just one tube brand and type as "the best" is not a good practice. Different amps sound their best with different tubes. You have to roll the dice and close your eyes and ego, let your ears do the work. For the price of a Mesa. spending a hundy or two over time to tweak it to your ears is a good thing, and it's good to have the experience help train your ears as well. 8) Peace.

Latest posts

Back