ok guys what now!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rispsira

Reaction score
So i just got a dual recto rackmount revision G is what ive been told here on the forum:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-2-Channel-Rackmount-Dual-Rectifier-Mint-NR_W0QQitemZ270542149883QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efd9198fb

So im having it shipped overseas to my location. Now the question i have is; since its a pretty old head, should i have it serviced, perhaps change the caps and what not?

What would you do?

Thanks!

rispsira said:
So i just got a dual recto rackmount revision G is what ive been told here on the forum:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-2-Channel-Rackmount-Dual-Rectifier-Mint-NR_W0QQitemZ270542149883QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efd9198fb

So im having it shipped overseas to my location. Now the question i have is; since its a pretty old head, should i have it serviced, perhaps change the caps and what not?

What would you do?

Thanks!

Have you thought about having it shipped to Mesa Boogie first? They could clean it up and ship it to you when it's done.

So you think i should do that? i didnt do that at first though i thougt about it, but its cause of ebay and having to ship it to the address of the paypal account first.

So might be better to send it toi mesa for a check up? wonder how much it will cost me though..

Thanks for the reply bro!

Heritage Softail said:
Calling MESA would be the logical thing to do at this point.

Nahhhh lets theorize about it for a few more hours.

They are closed now anyways haha

Heritage Softail said:
Do the beating the dead horse animation! c'mon c'mon :lol:

horse-1.gif
horse-1.gif
horse-1.gif
horse-1.gif

Why spend the money on having it serviced? If everything works okay, there's no reason to have anything serviced. The caps aren't more than 12 or 13 years old at best. It's either a 97 or 98 judging from the serial number.

I wouldn't worry about having the caps replaced until it's 15-20 years old.

I think I need to get my Rev E looked at. It sounds wonderful, but man there is a hum no matter what channel you are in and tone settings have no effect. In general its pretty noisy. And changing tubes does nothing.

fluff191 said:
I think I need to get my Rev E looked at. It sounds wonderful, but man there is a hum no matter what channel you are in and tone settings have no effect. In general its pretty noisy. And changing tubes does nothing.

If you have a bad hum that's doesn't change depending on settings, and isn't related to a dirty power supply, it may be time for a cap job.

mikey383 said:
If you have a bad hum that's doesn't change depending on settings, and isn't related to a dirty power supply, it may be time for a cap job.

Yeah it doesnt matter if its plugged into a power conditioner or anything. Time for come caps!!!!

Its the big ones right? Or is it more than that? The blue ones I mean.

mikey383 said:
Why spend the money on having it serviced? If everything works okay, there's no reason to have anything serviced. The caps aren't more than 12 or 13 years old at best. It's either a 97 or 98 judging from the serial number.

I wouldn't worry about having the caps replaced until it's 15-20 years old.

Good advice thanks man!! I thought maybe id mod the parallel loop into a series as well. What do you think?

I'd recommend just spending some time with it stock. See how it does. You never know for your situation the parallel loop may work out just fine for your set up.

I know it's cool to get a new piece of gear and start adding stuff to it. If memory serves you don't have access to try them out. Best bet is to spend some time with it and see if it's to your liking.

fluff191 said:
mikey383 said:

Yeah it doesnt matter if its plugged into a power conditioner or anything. Time for come caps!!!!

Its the big ones right? Or is it more than that? The blue ones I mean.

I'd replace all the blue ones, even the smaller ones in the bias supply.

If you replace them yourself, just remember to use a variac and bring the voltage up slowly so the caps can be formed.

clutch71 said:
I'd recommend just spending some time with it stock. See how it does. You never know for your situation the parallel loop may work out just fine for your set up.

I know it's cool to get a new piece of gear and start adding stuff to it. If memory serves you don't have access to try them out. Best bet is to spend some time with it and see if it's to your liking.

Thanks for the advice man. Only problem is i dont live in the US (where i bought it from on ebay). I have someone there who will send it to me. Once its here it will cost too much to get it back.

He did mention the option of sending it to a local mesa tech instead of sending it to mesa. I duno

Ok so what you guys are saying is that its still early for the caps to need to be changed and the loop mod is easy so i can do it myself (or have someone locally do that)

My main concern was the age of the caps which i didnt care about till i read a few posts around here talking about having them replaced and checked the voodoo mods website

Thanks for the advice bro

Exactly. The caps won't need changed for a few years yet (at least), and the loop mod is very, very simple.

Do a search for the loop mod, and I'm sure you'll find it relatively easily.

EDIT: here it is:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9703&hilit=recto+series+loop+mod

Latest posts

Back