newbie, first post

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macdaddyof9

Reaction score
Hello all
I'm just getting back into electric guitar. I had a subway rocket back in the 80's that I loved. Then a mark 2 for about the year of 1988. Then I joined the Army and sold most everything I owned.( no space ) After my tour, and 9 kids latter here I am looking back at some boogie tone! Last christmass my wife bought me a washburn camo solid state practice amp to go with my washburn Idol pro. I scored on the cheap and was starting to mess around with. Nice guitar, not nice amp. I'm saving up for another boogie and just found this board. Great stuff here. there are some others full of bad attitude and of no help at all.
So, finally to my point. I am considering a 50 cal. + (coolest name of all) or any of the studio/dc amps for starters. The main question I have for any of you owners is about this statement in the manual :

"MASTER This control regulates the power amplifier level and the actual overall loudness. (In Lead mode, the Master and the Lead Master work together “in series” to perform this function.) If you run the Volume at 10 and both Masters below 2 (in Lead mode), Grandma can nap in the next room while you annihilate Manhattan with monstrous metal performance! You'll still get the sound and feel of big amps cranked way up."

This is from the 50+ but is close to what they all say in this line. I know you can't have both great tone at low and high volume but decent tone at say "doesn't drown out the tv at the other end of the house" volume is attainable. I was wondering what some of you owners or previous owners had experiance with this line at lower volumes. I like to play mostly big hair stuff. black sabath, ac/dc, twisted sister, G&R, Van Halen, Samy hagar, ect. then some blues and the hardest tone of all for me is Uncle Ted Nugent. I do not try to exact copy any one, espesially not the recordings, as I know that is impossible. I like to make my own tone, and even notes, lol. I'm not that great anyway, Just looking to have some fun with the kids. thank you for your time.

i'd also check out the express 5:25 or 5:50. caliber 50 is definitely gonna get you what your after, but i think the express volume wise might be a better alternative since its probably the most "bedroom" amp in the mesa lineup. the caliber 50 and DCs sound great turned up as do all mesa amps but the express sounds great at all levels. either way i think your looking into the right amps to get you the tone your after, but consider checking out an express.

+1 on the Express; the 5:25 might be the best choice.

I have a Lone Star Special and a Mk IV. The Mk IV, at the lowest settings, just barely makes the definition of bedroom amp.

The LSS, though, can be made to scream pretty well - at low volumes - at the 5 watt setting. The Express should be even better at this and costs less, I believe.

Good luck and enjoy!

Dave

thanks for the insight. I'm eyeing a dc 5 right now, but the drains are not draining and the plumbers are at work. I've had to tap the amp fund to help pay for the repairs. I hope they're done by friday and don't go much over the estimate. then I can make the deal.
I played on a 5-25 10 inch speaker at our local dealer. Very nice amp. I also played the 5-50 2 12. I like the 5-50 tone better, but I like the smaller size of the 5-25. I wish they had the 5-50 1 12, and 5-25 1 12 so I could here them. I'm inclined to think the 5-50 1 12 would be my ticket. I played a dc 3 at the music go round with a guitar off the wall, not mine. Oh My. do I like. It was 1 12 . great tone, also a 50 cal. +. also fantastic and easy to dial in. problem with both is they're both sold to someone else. lol. I'm shure the express is a great amp. I just didn't have any more time to play it, and it's a little more complex than i'm used to. the dealer says they'll have a 5 50 1 12 soon so that might end up mine. due to possibly missing this dc 5. I hope not 'cause it's more in my budget than a brand new 5 50.

mac

macdaddyof9 said:
thanks for the insight. I'm eyeing a dc 5 right now, but the drains are not draining and the plumbers are at work. I've had to tap the amp fund to help pay for the repairs. I hope they're done by friday and don't go much over the estimate. then I can make the deal.
I played on a 5-25 10 inch speaker at our local dealer. Very nice amp. I also played the 5-50 2 12. I like the 5-50 tone better, but I like the smaller size of the 5-25. I wish they had the 5-50 1 12, and 5-25 1 12 so I could here them. I'm inclined to think the 5-50 1 12 would be my ticket. I played a dc 3 at the music go round with a guitar off the wall, not mine. Oh My. do I like. It was 1 12 . great tone, also a 50 cal. +. also fantastic and easy to dial in. problem with both is they're both sold to someone else. lol. I'm shure the express is a great amp. I just didn't have any more time to play it, and it's a little more complex than i'm used to. the dealer says they'll have a 5 50 1 12 soon so that might end up mine. due to possibly missing this dc 5. I hope not 'cause it's more in my budget than a brand new 5 50.

mac

the express is complex? everyones different but i find the controls on the express to be much more simple than even the caliber.50, but thats just me. try and find a 5:50 1x12 and when you do spend some time with it i can almost guarentee you'll buy it :wink:

mybe complex isn't the right word. not familiar is better. Mainly, I find it odd not to have the geq. I did go back and jam the 5-50 2 12 and really am starting to feel it. I just need some more time with it to get more comfortable and intuitive with the controls. I'm refitting my washburn with coil taps as soon as I get a few hours free this week end, then next week will try the 5-50 another round. btw, I went ahead and plugged into the road king, Wow! what a blast. I only heard channel one and two due to time, but that is one helluva amp. When I went back to the 5-50, I can't say it was much less of and amp, but alot less of a price tag. the rk was through a 4 12 cab, so I just thought of the idea of a 5-50 and a 1 12 cab, and a 4 12 cab. talk about versital. I'm gonna plug the express into some cabs on my next trip, wed. How long have you had your express?, what music do you play?

Mac

macdaddyof9 said:
mybe complex isn't the right word. not familiar is better. Mainly, I find it odd not to have the geq. I did go back and jam the 5-50 2 12 and really am starting to feel it. I just need some more time with it to get more comfortable and intuitive with the controls. I'm refitting my washburn with coil taps as soon as I get a few hours free this week end, then next week will try the 5-50 another round. btw, I went ahead and plugged into the road king, Wow! what a blast. I only heard channel one and two due to time, but that is one helluva amp. When I went back to the 5-50, I can't say it was much less of and amp, but alot less of a price tag. the rk was through a 4 12 cab, so I just thought of the idea of a 5-50 and a 1 12 cab, and a 4 12 cab. talk about versital. I'm gonna plug the express into some cabs on my next trip, wed. How long have you had your express?, what music do you play?

Mac
yeah if your used to a geq i can see it being different but the contour knob is a suedo-geq with set eq bands. you could always just throw a geq in the loop and it would essential give you the same controls. i think your taking the right approach by playing the same amp a few times. i know ive had a great experience with an amp and then play it another time its not as good. the best amps are the ones that throw out consistant brilliance.

i dont own an express (yet.... :twisted: ). i played this one 5:50 during my hunt for a new guitar and i eneded up playing throw it a good 10-15 times and every time through every guitar it sounded killer. i have the roadster so thats more than enough amp and does just about everything i need it to do... but the express is just so good.

Tone quest update:
Turns out the pots I was going to use on my idol pro are too long. I already unsoldered the wires, so I went down to the music shop for some pots of the correct length. Not in stock. But......... The express 5-50 1 12 came in. gave it round with a LP off the wall. Sweet voice! I think the 1 12 sound just sits right with me overall. (4 12 too, lol) anyway, I really like this express. I'm a little short on the funds at the moment so I can't jump on it. Probably a good thing at this price. I've got the soldering iron on right now to get my ax back togeather and run by this week after work to play the express with my own guitar for a wile longer. May be I should start a new thread to hear from express owners on how happy they are with these amps?

I own the 5:50 and couldn't be happier, the cleans really sucked me in and the "80's" gain was all I initially wanted so it was the perfect Mesa for me. For the bedroom you can't beat the 5 watt mode, and after picking up a 4 x 12 cab, the 50 watt mode will shakes the house nicely! Another selling point is the less complex controls, not to hard to get into trouble for a novice like me. I eventually want to move into a Roadster or Road King to get some more gain and a few more options but right now the 5:50 is perfect. I think the Express series is definitly the sleeper amp of the year!

Latest posts

Back