New member with a new Mark II (IIA) and some questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmilly

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a Mark II. I love it. I understand it's a IIA because it doesn't have an effects loop (at least labelled as such...) and based on the serial number (3075, placing it real early in the Mark II / IIA run as I understand too...) Got my information from that "Boogie Files" website, FWIW. Guitar Center said it was a IIB but I feel pretty sure it's not.

Two observations and a question...

I don't hear much of a pop when I change channels. I kept reading online that IIA's had some real bad popping sounds when footswitching, but I haven't really noticed any. No complaints there! Maybe a little curious if IIA's are so notorious for this that I should wonder if it's been worked on / modified. I'm not wishing it popped...but I'd love to hear from other IIA owners whether or not their's does this.

Also, I tried running a BOSS DD-3 (delay) in the "effects loop" by running a cable from the jack under the chassis into the pedal and then using the "preamp out / power amp in" jack as the return. And it worked just fine for me. I couldn't hear it overloading the pedal. Maybe, as with the footswitch pop, this will turn up at higher volumes (or gain settings) but again I'm just curious how lucky this sounds... or if other people are finding these stories / complaints against the IIA a little overblown. (I don't have reverb (or GEQ) so I can't comment on the "noisy reverb" complaint.)

Now, my question is about this Fetron doodad. Manual (found online somewhere, maybe linked from this forum...not on M/B's site strangely) and instructions on amp both say to be careful that you have the switch set correctly - as if perhaps you could do damage to some part of the amp if incorrectly set. That didn't make sense to me because I thought I was just toggling between the tube or Fetron as desired, but on further reflection I guess it's probably the case that one or the other is in the slot, and you need to set the toggle for which one is in there. Is that right? Is there any storage spot for the alternate device, so I can see if I got it? And last, I assume if I look more carefully back there I'll be able to tell what's there - Fetron or tube - but any advice would be welcome!

I haven't actually flipped the switch yet, so it's possible it's set incorrectly. In some kind of in-between gain settings, I do hear kind of an unmusical/harsh top end to the distortion that is either there or not...depending on input strength. I wonder, could this be caused by incorrect toggle setting? Or maybe a correct toggle setting, and just the Fetron operating correctly - as I gather it's not real popular?

Thanks for any input!

I'm in NYC and, as Boogie players go, am on the non-metal side of things...though I've done a little of that too. But jazz, rock, fusion, blues, funk, etc... that's what I do. I'm a big improviser and love that older style Boogie lead sound. Used to own a Studio Preamp, which I regret selling, but never quite got comfortable with a rack setup and didn't like wondering how it would sound with different power amps, speakers, etc. Love the combo setup. So far I'm thinking the Studio Preamp was a little more versatile but the Mark II more iconic in sound.

Oh and the amp. Black tolex/grill, no reverb, no EQ, 60/100 watts, Altec speaker.

Congrats!
It surely is a MkIIA. What date is it in the bottom side of the chassis?

The popping happens only if there is sound while footswitching. If you need a copy of the manual, let me know.

The Fetron was discontinued after May 20, 1980.
Regards

No date (or initials) that I can see, at least without removing the chassis.

I think it must have the Fetron in there because I can't see the tip of the tube poking out of the canister-looking protector thing on that slot the way I can on all the others.

Latest posts

Back