New forum member with a Mesa Mark V 1x12 combo on the way!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deaj

Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Deaj and I'm new to this forum. I've been doing a bit of reading here as of late following a Mesa Mark V demo that left me with a very positive impression. My current amp is a factory custom Fuchs ODS 1x12 combo tuned to best suit my playing. I bought the amp 4 years ago and haven't used another amp since. I demo stuff when I go to buy strings, picks, etc. as I like to know what's on the market and appeals to me should it ever be necessary to buy an amp (theft, fire, catastrophic failure, etc.) and because I just like amps a lot. There are a lot more great amp choices now than ever before and at every price point. Although my Fuchs is bar none the best sounding amp I've ever played through (this one particularly so as it has been tweaked to respond well to my playing dynamics) I don't think I'd drop the coin for another were it to be stolen or damaged beyond repair. It was worth the money to me once but there are so many great sounding amps at affordable prices that I would never be able to justify the cost again.

I dropped in to a local music store a short while back to pick up some flatwound bass strings and noticed a Mark V on the floor. I've always enjoyed playing through the Mark series amps and wondered if the Mark V would hold the same appeal for me. I asked to demo the Mk.V and my quick drop-in for strings turned into a lengthy demo and a longer than expected lunch break. A quick look at the front panel up close took away any misconception of complexity - the controls are as intuitive as any single channel amp, there's just three of them instead on one. I started (where else) on channel 1 and found the clean tones to be more to my liking than any I remember from other Mark series amps. There seems to be a slight lean towards a Fender voicing without losing its Mesa identity. Plenty of headroom at full power. Harmonic overtones (shimmer? chime? - I dislike subjective superlatives when describing sound, they're only accurately descriptive to the describer :? ).The various channel specific options allow one to dial in the dynamic response to suit most technique I would think. Very impressive!

Channel 2 strikes me as a, well, three straight up rock and roll amps. It was easy to quickly find the usable range for each control in each mode and then dial the channel in for the desired sound. I found several low gain (verge of breakup or a hair hotter) sounds that were surprisingly good considering that all of the clipping was taking place early in the amps gain structure at reasonably low volume. I can't wait to see what this sounds like with the output section working hard! I think I burned the most time playing with channel 2.

Channel 3 was just bags of fun to toy with. I'll be honest - there's not much in my playing style that mates up well with the more aggressive sounds available in this channel. That didn't seem to stop me from having a blast dialing in 80's tones and trying to play tunes I haven't played in 20 or more years or trying unsuccessfully to cop a Schon or Lukather vibe. The playing left much to be desired but I couldn't wipe the silly grin off my face. This channel is the toy I've wanted most of my adult life! It's a self indulgent thing having little to do with anything productive I might do with a guitar but **** it's fun to dial in a Petrucci type tone and try to slop my way through some of his simplest material or set it up for a 'Master Of Puppets' sound and hammer out fast muted rhythms!!

Ummm.... I like channel 3. :D

I've always wanted to be able to have these types of sounds available for self indulgent wankery, to relive my high school band days in my living room but I don't really have the space for more than three amps (one Fuchs combo, one Markbass bass combo, and...?) and three is pushing it. I have built a few pedals that do a reasonably good job of copping such tones - they're fun but it's not quite the same thing. My home studio is small (8'x10') with a small closet - no storage space outside of this room. The electric guitars and basses are hanging on the walls but, with an acoustic guitar, clarinet, saxophone, keyboard/stand, amps, pedalboard, and computer/audio desk the floor gets crowded fast. I can squeeze in one more amp but it would have to be something that I'll use productively or it'll eventually get pulled out of the room (code for 'get sold'). I've had a second amp in the room a couple of times since buying the Fuchs. Both were narrow enough in focus so as to limit their usefulness and so both eventually became an object in the way more than anything else. This has kept me from buying another amp - the whole 'boy meets amp / boy buys amp / boy lets amp collect dust / boy sells amp' thing is time consuming and a pain in the neck. The Mark V actually seems to me to be two very useful amps in one: 1. A widely flexible three channel amp with tones very different from my primary amp, and 2. A toy I've wanted for decades but have no room for.

A couple more trips out to demo the Mark V convinced me to purchase a Mark V 1x12 combo and see how it works out. I happened to make mention that I was leaning towards buying one in an amp discussion thread on The Gear Page forum about a week ago and and another longtime member sent me a private message letting me know he had a like new Mark V combo with everything including the original shipping box/materials that he was thinking about selling (that or a guitar) to fund some other purchase. After some discussion about the amp we arrived at what appears to be an excellent price for the amp - $1,750 shipped. Payment has been sent and the amp will ship this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

I am pretty excited about this purchase and I'm looking forward to playing through it. This is a bit more of a sure thing than many other amp purchases for me over the years. I'm not searching for anything or trying to fill a gap. I don't need the amp and there's no expectation that it will do anything for me I can't accomplish with the equipment I already own. At the same time it appears to be an ideal fit for a second amp providing more sonic flexibility for recording projects and a much desired toy to boot. If the amp turns out to be as musically expressive as my demo time would seem to indicate it will find a home here for the foreseeable future. If this works out then I get to play 80's metal head or guitar hero at home whenever I want and have THE sound for it! (well, the Fuchs does the Lukather thing pretty well but the Mesa is more ideal for Schon, Hetfield, others).

One other thing I'm looking forward to trying is using one amp dry with a line out to an effects processor then sending time based effects 100% wet to the output section of the other amp (wet/dry). I've never used a wet/dry rig before - sounds interesting.

That's all for now. I'll be sure to post my observations once I've had a chance to run the amp in my own environment and at a volume that gets the output section participating in the fun. This is a nice community from what I see in my reading here. I look forward to participating here on this forum! I'm sure I'll have questions once I get into it and it looks like there are plenty of knowledgeable Mesa owners here who seem happy to help.

Have a great day everyone!

Welcome aboard friend! Thats a hell of a first post but on par with the general reception of Mesa's latest. I look forward to reading your review after getting your new amp home and you have a chance to really let it breathe.

Welcome aboard Deaj, I too look forward to your comments on your new toy! I love my Mark V, I will keep it till I die, and then take it with me to my grave! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I haven't owned a Mesa amp for more than 20 years - strange since I've liked so many of the ones I've demo'd over the years. I have on more than a few occasions come very close to buying a particular model based on multiple trips out to demo the amp. The Mark IV almost drew me into a buy. Same with the Maverick, the Blue Angel, and the Lonestar Special. Each of these amps offered something that really drew me in when demo'ing.

Shortly after I started playing (1980) I happened into an early silver face Fender Super Reverb. I knew nothing about the amp except that it sounded great! I didn't have it for long before it failed (output section failure requiring an OT replacement among other things. I had it repaired and then sold it. I replaced it with a GK 250ML (a short lived solution) followed by an Acoustic model 165 (a Frank Zappa related choice - cool amp in some ways). From there, sometime in the mid 80's, I picked up a Mesa Studio 22 caliber 1x12 combo (great sounding amp!) and a short while later a Mesa Mark II 1x12 combo (no EQ, unsure of specific designation - also a fantastic amp!). Never one to settle on anything for long these amps gave way to others. In the late 80's I tried briefly to find the ideal tone through amp mods on various platforms (Fender 'red knob' Twin, Marshall JCM800, Jackson 50w tube head) each with interesting results, some better than others, but none better than amps I'd already owned or available in a music store. Also around this time I heard a local player at a club gig playing through an amp I later found out was a Trainwreck Express, amazingly vocal and expressive amp! I contacted Ken Fisher and placed myself on the waiting list (years passed and I lost interest though - oops! In hindsight I should have just continued to wait patiently).

I then moved to a rack system for a few years (I enjoyed the vast flexibility, global MIDI switching, etc. but not the relative complexity and increased potential failure points). Then, in the early 90's, an ad in the local classifieds lead to the purchase of a narrow panel '58 tweed Deluxe. This amp started my vintage amp collection phase- a collection that grew quickly and I then had more amps than I could possibly make use of. I met Andy Marshall (THD) through my repair tech who mentioned that Andy was wrapping up his first production build of a 50 watt Plexi head in tweed clothing. I visited Andy's shop and demo'd this amp and ordered one on the spot - my first current boutique amp (though the Mesa amps were boutique in the 80's I believe). I sold off most of the vintage stuff except for a 1961 Fender blonde Bassman head that stuck around for a few more years. I was mostly using the THD Plexi and a Fender Rivera designed Super Champ 1x10 combo as a grab-n-go amp though.

I married and we conceived - big shift in life. Other financial priorities led to the sale of the Bassman and THD Plexi. I kept only the Super Champ which turned out to be a good decision for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was its effect on my playing technique. I learned to use my hands to get the most out of that little, very capable amp. It was my only amp for the next 10 or so years while I was busy raising a family. I'd also turned my attention to electric bass at that time and much of my practice time was consumed teaching myself to play the bass (not guitar on a bass :D ).

In the early 2000's I began to become more active in music projects with other players and decided to look for a replacement for the Super Champ - something with more clean headroom and potentially more flexibility. Through buying used at low prices then selling at market value I had the opportunity to try out a variety of amps without spending much money at all. A couple of standouts: THD BiValve - Fun amp to play and tweak! and Rivera Jake Studio 1x12 combo - this ended up being my main amp for a year or so until I demo'd the Fuchs ODS in 2005. I returned to the store 4-5 times with all of my guitar and my pedalboard and it became clear that it was an ideal fit for me. I sold my other amps and bought the Fuchs. It's still as exciting to play through as the day I brought it home, perhaps more so after having it tweaked to my technique and preferences.

All during this time and since buying the Fuchs I've demo'd Mesa amps found various models that would easily have fit me well, that I found to be great sounding amps from my demos. For whatever reason I walked away every time. In the end I ended up with the right amp in the Fuchs and, based on that experience and others, I believe I've found the right amp in the Mark V as well. Time will tell of course but as critical as I've become especially over the last four years I seriously doubt this is a 'new toy / gotta have' type purchase. I don't really have a lot of disposable income so I try to be careful and selective with big purchases. This one seems to me to be a good call. I'll know for sure a year from now. It'll be auditioning for the first few months. I'm glad this happened with a Mesa product. All of my past experiences with Mesa amps has been very positive!

Hi deaj and welcome

I've tried the mark v and I think it's a very vast tone machine. I currently own a mk4 which I will never sell but I got so intrigued after playing the V for a while that I'm saving for one as we speak. Hopefully I can have the mklV and the V side by side by february or march.

Good luck with your V

Geiri said:
Hi deaj and welcome

I've tried the mark v and I think it's a very vast tone machine. I currently own a mk4 which I will never sell but I got so intrigued after playing the V for a while that I'm saving for one as we speak. Hopefully I can have the mklV and the V side by side by february or march.

Good luck with your V

Thanks! :)

Looking forward to receiving my Mark V on Monday. I have a feeling this weekend will pass slowly. No matter - Monday is close by!

You will love your Mark V, just as aI love mine and I discover more about its vast array of tonal options everyday I play it.

Mauler said:
You will love your Mark V, just as aI love mine and I discover more about its vast array of tonal options everyday I play it.

I expect my experience with the amp will be similar to yours. I'll spend the first month (at least) just learning the amp well enough to dial in any tone I'm looking for quickly. This will allow me to use it as an effective studio tool without the amp standing in its own way. I prefer an amp with wide sonic flexibility over a pile of one trick pony amps. I've done the vintage collection thing already - owned some great sounding amps but dealing withe setup, breakdown, and storage wasn't worth whatever advantage the amps offered in tone. The Fuchs is already like having a bunch of amps in one small package that stays mic'd up all of the time. I know the amp well enough to dial in exactly what I'm looking for and quickly. I expect the MkV will take a bit longer to learn in this way as it offers a good deal more in options / flexibility.

I'm absolutely sure I'm going to love having the MkV in my home studio!

Working from home today and waiting for the FedEx truck to arrive - it's going to be a slow day....

Back