Need some input on power amps and triaxis

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpro

Reaction score
I have my Boogie Mark V as my main rig, but want to get my Triaxis back in action at times too. I sold my 2:90. It is a beast man! Anyone have any luck, or insight into using the Matrix g1000 or Rocktron Velocity 300 solid state power amps.

I know that the G800 is pretty sterile and the two Power amps I mentioned above are supposed to sound tube like. I can't seem to get my hands on these without buying them and just didn't want to go through that hassle without throwing it out to the Boogie aboard first.

Any info is much appreciated

I have a Mesa 2:One Hundred power amp for sale if you're interested. Let me know if you're interested and i'll send you some pictures.

-Nick

I have a rocktron velocity 120. My desire for a rack mounted tube power amp is close to nil. The amp gets plenty loud, enough to play with any band I have played with. I wouldn't say it sounds exactly like a tube amp, but it sounds great with my quad and JMP-1.

I understand the velocity 300's tone control ( don't recall the name this second) behaves like my 120's, but the amp itself should sound similar. Keep in mind, that you have to have speakers that can handle the wattage ratings, so those high power amps may require large cabinets or special speakers.

I have never tried any of those amps you mentioned but I have used my Triaxis with crest, crown, and tube works SS power amps, used it in conjunction with two Roland Cube 60s ( the original orange colored ones) back in the early 90s when I first bought it. I found them all lacking IMO. Cold, sterile, harsh and lifeless comes to mind. Of them all the Cubes sounded the best (maybe because they had been modified with EV 12Ls in them) and I actually gig with them until I got a 295 and then more recently a 290. Compared to a tube power amp non of them sounded or felt as good. Yes those boogie power amps are beasts, way over powered in small to moderate size venues and real back breakers to move around, which is why I now also have a 20/20 that I use with it. AND yes it does sound it's best with the 290 hands down but the 20/20 let,s me crank it to get some output tube spunk happening. I'm also very fond of using it (in mono mode) with an old Altec 40 watt EL 34 based power amp and for low power blues gigs I have a very old Bogen MO 30 which really gets down to the nitty gritty and just sings and sounds authentic blues tones. The only thing I would use it with a ss amp for would be supper clean rhythm playing on Rhythm yellow for country, reggae or heaven forbid Disco..

Latest posts

Back