Need help playing live...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me it sounded like you turned down to much. As the above poster mentioned 10Watts will make adjusting your volume a little more managable. I have found it the higher watt modes it is hard to get the channel masters where you want them becuase the volume differences either go to loud to fast or in your case it sounds like to quite to fast. Are you using the global master at all?

satch4u3 said:
To me it sounded like you turned down to much. As the above poster mentioned 10Watts will make adjusting your volume a little more managable. I have found it the higher watt modes it is hard to get the channel masters where you want them becuase the volume differences either go to loud to fast or in your case it sounds like to quite to fast. Are you using the global master at all?

I use the 90watts across the board, I like the headroom and feel of it the most and yes I use the global master.

I havn't messed with 10 watts all that much because when I got the amp I fell in love with the 90.

Its hard to get it from the clips but the amp really isn't that loud. But the sensitivity of the controls in 90 is a good point and something I didn't think of so I'm gonna have to consider it just for that.

Thanks

We had practice last night, I went to the 45 watts setting to have a little finer control over my volume which worked out real well, it's a nice compromise between the 90 and 10 watts.

However the problem still persists that as soon as the band goes up in volume during a louder part of a song, I just get buried in the mix. At least thats whats happening on stage and through the monitors, I have no idea what it sounds like in the mix.

If anyone is wondering here's my settings.
Messarig01.jpg

Messarig02.jpg

Vogelsong said:
However the problem still persists that as soon as the band goes up in volume during a louder part of a song, I just get buried in the mix.

solo boost

SBG200 said:
Vogelsong said:
However the problem still persists that as soon as the band goes up in volume during a louder part of a song, I just get buried in the mix.

solo boost

Yea I thought of that, now I gotta figure out how loud to make that so I don't upset anyone as soon as I step on it.

I'm going to sound judgemental for a moment as I can't listen to your youtube clip, so I'm giving my opinion based souly on how I percieve those settings pictured might sound.

First off, I'd recommend trying to getting the soundman to give you a recording off the board. That way you can listen back afterwards and give the mix a critical listen. Sometimes soundmen will tell you to turn down because you're too loud, but sometimes they'll tell you to turn down if your tone doesn't fit right. For instance, the settings you show have have some pretty jacked up presence settings and the soundman may be trying to counter a bright, ice picky tone.

Alternatively, if the soundman can't/won't record the band from the board have someone do it out in the congregation.... far enough back that the house mix is dominant rather than the stage mix.

I've found that if my tone is warm and smooth I can usually get away with more volume than if it's cutting, bright or abbrasive.

If you're listening to your cab off axis you'll tend to jack the high end to compensate for the dull/bassy sound you get when off axis. The audience and the microphone however get to listen to the full enslaught of those treble/presence frequencies that the 2x12 is blasting at your shins. If you tilt your cab up so that you can get a direct earful you'll get a better idea of what everyone else is hearing and adjust your settings accordingly.

Also, listeners tend to like some compression on guitar tones. Not neccisarily the pedal variety, but the natural tube variety. If you've ever seen people wince at a Telecaster through a Fender Twin you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, on a Mark the midrange knob tends to control how stiff or compressed the amp sounds. Lowering that knob will soften the response and may ease up on the ear of the listener. Somewhere around 9:00 is basically neutral, and turning it up from there acts sort of like boosting the amp with an overdrive pedal. Set the overall response/feel with the mid knob, then use the graphic EQ to control how much mid is present in the final product.

One of the best things Ive done is get a wireless. I go out in front and listen to the mix plus its a lot of fun! Its usually much louder than I hear on stage. The CD beam blockers help get some sound up to my ears though. Bob

screamingdaisy said:
I'm going to sound judgemental for a moment as I can't listen to your youtube clip, so I'm giving my opinion based souly on how I percieve those settings pictured might sound.

First off, I'd recommend trying to getting the soundman to give you a recording off the board. That way you can listen back afterwards and give the mix a critical listen. Sometimes soundmen will tell you to turn down because you're too loud, but sometimes they'll tell you to turn down if your tone doesn't fit right. For instance, the settings you show have have some pretty jacked up presence settings and the soundman may be trying to counter a bright, ice picky tone.
Good idea but the drums aren't mic'd and neither is the horn so I don't think a recording would give a true comparison, but it was something I had already thought of. As far as the settings and prescence, I can understand where your coming from there too. The only problem is your gonna have to take my word on this, I play a G&L Comanche. The pickups are called Z-Coils, and they are very bassy and warm. In fact I would say they are a dark sounding pickup. So I agree the knobs say very bright but it's not as bad as you might think.

Alternatively, if the soundman can't/won't record the band from the board have someone do it out in the congregation.... far enough back that the house mix is dominant rather than the stage mix.
The camera we are using is put at the very back of the chapel.

I've found that if my tone is warm and smooth I can usually get away with more volume than if it's cutting, bright or abbrasive.

If you're listening to your cab off axis you'll tend to jack the high end to compensate for the dull/bassy sound you get when off axis. The audience and the microphone however get to listen to the full enslaught of those treble/presence frequencies that the 2x12 is blasting at your shins. If you tilt your cab up so that you can get a direct earful you'll get a better idea of what everyone else is hearing and adjust your settings accordingly.
I'm not off axis here but I understand what your saying, I'm gonna get one of these when the tax return comes. http://www.ampendage.com/ And then move further forward from the amp also.

Also, listeners tend to like some compression on guitar tones. Not neccisarily the pedal variety, but the natural tube variety. If you've ever seen people wince at a Telecaster through a Fender Twin you know what I'm talking about. I do this. Anyway, on a Mark the midrange knob tends to control how stiff or compressed the amp sounds. Lowering that knob will soften the response and may ease up on the ear of the listener. Somewhere around 9:00 is basically neutral, and turning it up from there acts sort of like boosting the amp with an overdrive pedal. Set the overall response/feel with the mid knob, then use the graphic EQ to control how much mid is present in the final product.

My exact approach. My question is this, is the middle line on the GEQ zero? Another words can you only add with the GEQ or does it cut and add depending on where you are in relation to the middle line?

Thanks for the insight Daisy

Vogelsong said:
The only problem is your gonna have to take my word on this, I play a G&L Comanche. The pickups are called Z-Coils, and they are very bassy and warm. In fact I would say they are a dark sounding pickup. So I agree the knobs say very bright but it's not as bad as you might think.[/color]

Do the Z Coils sound the same as the MFD pickups in an S-500?

(I have an S-500, but I've never used it with the Mk V)

My exact approach. My question is this, is the middle line on the GEQ zero? Another words can you only add with the GEQ or does it cut and add depending on where you are in relation to the middle line?

On the GEQ the centre line is neutral.

screamingdaisy said:
Vogelsong said:
The only problem is your gonna have to take my word on this, I play a G&L Comanche. The pickups are called Z-Coils, and they are very bassy and warm. In fact I would say they are a dark sounding pickup. So I agree the knobs say very bright but it's not as bad as you might think.[/color]

Do the Z Coils sound the same as the MFD pickups in an S-500?

(I have an S-500, but I've never used it with the Mk V)

On the GEQ the centre line is neutral.

Yea the Z's are mfd.s but I've played an s500. I think the S is brighter sounding. Each Z coil is made up of 2 smaller magnets reverse wound to one another they are technically humbuckers.

Thanks for the GEQ info that's gonna help me make a change or 2.

screamingdaisy said:

Sdaisey offers some excellent advice here and I would definitely recommend trying these suggestions.

Perceived volume isn't always from the volume knob. In fact famous mixing engineers know how to get maximum loudness without shrillness or annoyance just through shaping the tone. Treble, mid and presence are incredibly powerful controls for fitting in a mix while still being perceived as comfortably loud.

thalweg said:
screamingdaisy said:

Sdaisey offers some excellent advice here and I would definitely recommend trying these suggestions.

Perceived volume isn't always from the volume knob. In fact famous mixing engineers know how to get maximum loudness without shrillness or annoyance just through shaping the tone. Treble, mid and presence are incredibly powerful controls for fitting in a mix while still being perceived as comfortably loud.

I've only had the amp about 3 weeks or so now so I'm still working on it. The tone is real close to what I want, but it still needs some minor adjustments.

With that said, I'm running a head through a 2x12 rec cab. I know that plays a factor too and I havn't mentioned it yet. Just wanted to let ya know.

Well things went real well yesterday. Of course it helps that they moved me to a different channel on the board after they realized that my volume pot was scratchy and had a dead spot in it. :lol:

So everything was great on stage anyway, if things got too loud and I started to get buried I just hit the solo boost and all was good. I don't know how the mix was in the audience but judging by some of the feedback I got from the congregation I must have been coming through real well.

The horn player stands right in front of me. At the end of the day he puts his horn down, turns around to me and says, "you had an awesome day today". That made me feel good. It was truly the first day since I'd been playing with them that I was happy with everynote I played. Then I had 3 or 4 similarly positive comments from the congregation.

It's amazing what a good mix will do.

Vogelsong said:
Well things went real well yesterday. Of course it helps that they moved me to a different channel on the board after they realized that my volume pot was scratchy and had a dead spot in it. :lol:

So everything was great on stage anyway, if things got too loud and I started to get buried I just hit the solo boost and all was good. I don't know how the mix was in the audience but judging by some of the feedback I got from the congregation I must have been coming through real well.

The horn player stands right in front of me. At the end of the day he puts his horn down, turns around to me and says, "you had an awesome day today". That made me feel good. It was truly the first day since I'd been playing with them that I was happy with everynote I played. Then I had 3 or 4 similarly positive comments from the congregation.

It's amazing what a good mix will do.

Nice going man. Always feels great to nail it.

Thanks guys when the clips get posted I'll let ya know. Hopefully they'll tell the story but maybe not, it is only a camera mic after all.

Hey, that's my old amp!

Hope your liking it and it's too bad your having trouble sitting in the mix. Just after glancing at your settings (and sense I sold you that head and cab I may be able to provide some insight) you might not realize how ice picky your sound really is. Do a test... leave your settings and volumes where they are and put your face right in line with the speakers. You may have to step off the stage and duck down. Then play some passages and you will hear what the mic is hearing and sending to the board.

Also, you need a way to monitor yourself. Even if you get your own small wedge that you can place pointing at your face.

I hope this helps!

Hendog said:
Hey, that's my old amp!

Hope your liking it and it's too bad your having trouble sitting in the mix. Just after glancing at your settings (and sense I sold you that head and cab I may be able to provide some insight) you might not realize how ice picky your sound really is. Do a test... leave your settings and volumes where they are and put your face right in line with the speakers. You may have to step off the stage and duck down. Then play some passages and you will hear what the mic is hearing and sending to the board.

Also, you need a way to monitor yourself. Even if you get your own small wedge that you can place pointing at your face.

I hope this helps!

Hey bro how ya doin, yea were getting things straight thanks for the insight. I love the amp, it can't be beat.

By the way I wanted to ask if the tubes that are in it are original or not?

And if by any chance you have the black settings card that would have come with it from the factory? If you still have that it would be awesome.

Latest posts

Back