most effective way to tighten a recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try some gz34 rectifier tubes. Not sure how many you need in the roadster. If its dual im guessing two gz34's. They really tightend mine up. No more sag on the low end

jdurso said:
four solutions in my mind:

1 - different OD... something with a little more bass cut. I found the Maxon OD808 and the Fulltone OCD to not only get the preamp more compressed (which will tighten in itself) but also it cut a little more bass than other ODs.

2 - a different cab. You might try the Stiletto 4x12 or even better, a Mills Acoustics 4x12. The Mills can handle any amount of bass you throw at it and basically retains clarity while adding power to your sound. I run the bass on channel 4 modern at about 3 oclock which i could never do with any other cab

3 - better preamp tubes. Its the most overlooked solution because as rewarding as it can be, it can be frustrating and expensive. In the roadster if you focus on V1, V2 and V3, get the right tubes in there, you can kill flub and fizz in one fell swoop. V1 and V2 dictate the highs, mids, headroom and harmonic characteristics. Once you lock those in to your liking you can play with V3 which dictates the character and amount of bass on tap.

I tried all of the above and I can get just about any tone i want. I used to use an eq in the loop to tighten things up but by going down route #3, i had no need for it anymore. Add in a cab that is basically flub-proof and the right OD, and its pure heaven.

4 - At the end of the day, the Roadster just might not be the amp for you. If your looking for Marshall liek tightness but with a tone that has more ballz, the Stiletto is what you should look at.

Agreed, but I still use my EQ pedal, cause I love having a more unique tone IMHO...

Sounds to me like the OP wants the Recto to sound more like his Marshall, it's clearly not the amp for him and he should sell it imo.

no not the case just want the bass tightened, I do love this amp but it may have to go for finacial reasons unfortunatley,....thanks for all the suggestions

What kind of guitar do you use? I find this has as big of an influence as pickups and settings. The reason your SH-14 might sound great with the Marshall is because Seymour Duncan rates the bass at 6/10, mids at 3/10, and treble at 8/10. This could work perfectly to add bass and treble to the Marshall's mid heavy tone. However, the Rectifier will be very different.

The next thing I'm wondering is what kind of guitar do you play, and what kind of wood is it made of? Mahogany tends to be pretty loose, with bigger lows and tamed highs. Paired with your pickup, you're headed in the wrong direction. Alder and basswood, paired with the right pickup, or mahogany with EMGs seems to be what works best with Rectifiers.

I say all of this because last week, I had an X2N in my Les Paul. What a mistake!!! Now I'm using my Recto with my alder Jackson and, believe it or not, a Classic '57, and it sounds amazing. I changed nothing else! Anyway, if there's something in your collection you can try, I'd say give it a shot! I only threw the Classic '57 in mine because I was waiting on another one to ship to me, but now I couldn't be happier.

Jacko123 said:
Hey guys, I'll be looking at getting and OD pedal to tighten up my recto.

What settings do you have on the pedals?

I use a Maxon OD808 in front of my 2ch dual. Makes a HUGE difference. I usually have the pedal gain at 0, tone between 3-4, and the level on 10. I keep my amp's gain at or below 5. I also switched to the GZ34 recto tubes - they are much tighter than the stock ones.

\m/_ _\m/

not vey close IMO.
i have used maxons od 808 and od820 pro, boss sd-1 and bad monkey recently to tighten up sound and the bad munkey is the least i prefer.and im pretty sure id take any ibanez ts 808, ts9 over the bad monkey...i guess how much it cost says a little about what you get...( for example maxon od820pro is about 4 times more and does the same thing...but its on a different league).these are my 2cents.

Hey thanks. I'll have to try to find one.

mechanic said:
Jacko123 said:
Hey guys, I'll be looking at getting and OD pedal to tighten up my recto.

What settings do you have on the pedals?

I use a Maxon OD808 in front of my 2ch dual. Makes a HUGE difference. I usually have the pedal gain at 0, tone between 3-4, and the level on 10. I keep my amp's gain at or below 5. I also switched to the GZ34 recto tubes - they are much tighter than the stock ones.

\m/_ _\m/

Latest posts

Back