Mini Rectifier EL84 tube replacement for more tonal "girth"?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with different EL84 tubes in their mini rectifiers? Just curious if any might add more girth to the sound.

Hmm, try an oversized 2 x 12 or an oversized 4 x 12. I noticed that even through a Stiletto 4 x 12, the mini sounds really big. Not sure about replacing tubes though since I've just test drove the Mini in guitar stores.

Rockguitar2000 said:
Has anyone experimented with different EL84 tubes in their mini rectifiers? Just curious if any might add more girth to the sound.

Right now I am using JJs el-84 in my mini. I really like them. Their are smoother than stock el-84 and the low end is punchier. They also have a nice chime to them. With that said, it's not too much of a drastic change over the stock mesa el-84 in the mini. I feel that the change in preamp tubes made a bigger difference than the power tubes, specially at bedroom volume levels.

pegagos said:
Rockguitar2000 said:

Right now I am using JJs el-84 in my mini. I really like them. Their are smoother than stock el-84 and the low end is punchier. They also have a nice chime to them. With that said, it's not too much of a drastic change over the stock mesa el-84 in the mini. I feel that the change in preamp tubes made a bigger difference than the power tubes, specially at bedroom volume levels.

Who makes the Mesa branded tubes in the preamp section?

auburnshredder said:
pegagos said:
Rockguitar2000 said:

Who makes the Mesa branded tubes in the preamp section?

I believe the preamps are JJs and the power tubes are Sovtek

Latest posts

Back