Mini Rec vs. Rectoverb Series 2 - clean tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyber104

Reaction score
Hi All:

Just wondering how the clean tones are on the Mini.

Are they better than my Series 2 Rectoverb?

Are the the same as you would get from the new multi-watt DR?

Just wondering - thanks!

Chris

I can't speak for the mini rec, or the multi watt.

I can say that I much prefer the ROV series II clean to the 3 channel dual. It's actually quite beautiful, but you can't help but get a little hair on the notes when you play with the drummer. I prefer the pushed setting, great for blues type stuff.

I'm not thrilled with the clean on my MR. But that's not what I bought it for. It's passable if you need something once in a while, or for blues. It gets pretty hairy at any volume.

cleans are good on the mini, many agree! some people cant dial amps or guitars in right i guess :)

Played clean last night. It's not as bad as I tend to say. But it just doesn't keep up with the Dyne. It's partly headroom, and partly dynamics. It is really useable, though.

elvis said:
Played clean last night. It's not as bad as I tend to say. But it just doesn't keep up with the Dyne. It's partly headroom, and partly dynamics. It is really useable, though.
what guitars you own>?

The clean on the mini Have a limited amount of headroom, when I set up I turn the master all the way up and the band set everything around it. But, it is loud enough to play with a bad at decent volume.

+1

I get good transient response, and pretty good tone, but it runs out of gas.

I use superstrat type guitars with humbuckers and coil-splitting.

+1

At high volumes in a band with bass, drums and another guitarist with 100 watt amp, the clean channel does run out of headroom. It's still loud and can hear it, but the clean goes into breakup.

No problems with any of the other modes at high volumes.

elvis said:
+1

I get good transient response, and pretty good tone, but it runs out of gas.

I use superstrat type guitars with humbuckers and coil-splitting.

I think the EL84s give the mini a clean sound that is better than any of the dual recs, but yes it does break up some at ridiculously high volumes. I recommend lower stage volumes and a good monitor. Try it, your audience will thank you.

I keep the gain at 9 or 10 o clock with a les paul pickup switch at middle position its pretty clean sounding. Master all the way at 25 watts. Depends alot on the tubes also JJ preamps arent the most clean sounding tubes out there. I have a tungsol in the v1, EI v2 Mullard/groove 3,4 old stock sylvania v5, JJ power tubes using single coils should be even better

ken361 said:
I keep the gain at 9 or 10 o clock with a les paul pickup switch at middle position its pretty clean sounding. Master all the way at 25 watts. Depends alot on the tubes also JJ preamps arent the most clean sounding tubes out there. I have a tungsol in the v1, EI v2 Mullard/groove 3,4 old stock sylvania v5, JJ power tubes using single coils should be even better

+1 as well.

I agree. with the gain around 9 or 10 and the master volume dimed at 25 watt it will stay clean if you don't dig hard into the guitar. The only problem for me is that at this setting the amp could not be heard unless I turned the gain up to at least 12 o clock which then it breaks up. My drummer plays loud, the bass player with an ampeg svt pro 4 with 8x10 ampeg cab is loud, the other guitarist with 100 watt rivera 2x12 amp is loud, so I tried to be loud as well. I had no trouble being heard and the amps cuts trough very well with a 2x12 cab. I just ran out of headroom in the clean channel.

Well - it all worked out in the end with my Rectoverb (not considering the Mini anymore) - you can have a look at my other post but basically I put a JJ ECC803S in V1 and the amp sounds stellar - and I've got plenty of headroom on all channels. The stock Mesa 12AX7 in V1 worked but the clean channel lacked any luster. I've also got a Tung Sol 12AX7 on the way - I'm going to give that a try also - but the JJ is really nice - I'll be very surprised if my clean channel can get any better.

Thanks for all the responses.
Chris

The reasons for the Mini-rectifier breaking up are very simple - you're trying to make a 25W amp compete with a 100W. The 100W has way more clean headroom so the mini-rec has to be cranked past it's clean maximum and some dirt creeps in.

I'm sure that micing it through a PA would be a solution, the mini-rec's volume can then be kept in the clean zone.

Hi:

The Rectoverb is only 50 watts (not 100). And it wasn't breakup that I was concerned with - it was the fact that the clean channel lacked chime and "personality" - before the tube change the clean channel was rather bland - now it sounds great.

I was referring to pegagos who mentioned a mini-rec trying to compete with a 100W rivera, as he notes, it does struggle.

Glad your tube change worked out well in the rectoverb!

r_cod_81 said:
I was referring to pegagos who mentioned a mini-rec trying to compete with a 100W rivera, as he notes, it does struggle.

Glad your tube change worked out well in the rectoverb!

It struggled to stay clean. When it did break, it was the a good break though. Smooth. I like it. :)

Latest posts

Back