MESA STR-450 for IIc+ simul

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cremona

Reaction score
Hi

Enyone tried thise in the outer sockets of a c+ ?

kinda like el34`s and im thinking ofr trying a pair.

thanks

ain't NOTHING gonna sound better than the Sylvania 6CA7's of yours in those outer sockets. If you want to throw money away PM me and I provide an address that will accept any and all $ you wish to dispose of :D
Jim

Hi jim. indeed

But the el34 have a different sound at lower levels, wich comes in handy in a small room at lower levels.

The 6ca7 sylvanias i have came from a very old Dynaco ST70 hifi amp, wich indicates the might have been running for very long time, so im not putting to much weight on the preformans right now.
Im am looking to find a NOS pair , because the do sound better then mullard el34 but need more crank, and the sound fu..... huge, so the are diffrently the ones you want for live preformans.

but since we all have different prefs, i think i might just buy the 450-str plus a fresh pair of sylvania 416-str and find out my self. :p

I have read all through this forum and i cant find a comment on have the preform in a simul c+ only that BB sold his, maybe the bias of the c+ is all wrong for the 450`s ?

Hi jim. indeed

But the el34 have a different sound at lower levels, wich comes in handy in a small room at lower levels.

The 6ca7 sylvanias i have came from a very old Dynaco ST70 hifi amp, wich indicates the might have been running for very long time, so im not putting to much weight on the preformans right now.
Im am looking to find a NOS pair , because the do sound better then mullard el34 but need more crank, and the sound fu..... huge, so the are diffrently the ones you want for live preformans.

but since we all have different prefs, i think i might just buy the 450-str plus a fresh pair of sylvania 416-str and find out my self. :p

I have read all through this forum and i cant find a comment on have the preform in a simul c+ only that BB sold his, maybe the bias of the c+ is all wrong for the 450`s ?

As long as the screen voltage(measured at pin #4) is not much above 450V, then the STR-450 should work well. I really like them in a MarkV, but I was afraid to use them in my "105 PT" C+. After going through the nightmare with the STR-447's in that amp, I am sold on the durability of the Sylvania/Philips 6CA7. The low volume tone is not much of a consideration for me, though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the replays.

The chart and reply`s indicates that the might be worth a short, but i think that i would be better of getting a nicer pair of sylvania 416 STR`s first. and then see if mine where a littel tired, It seems that everyone likes them best in a c+, and besides that mine still managed to make the sound ALOT more powerfull then the mullards.

Now im still a newbi to the whole tube thing , but so far its been alot of fun , and much better sound, so this is one aspekt i wont settel for second best.

Now final questian, the 105 tranny puts more voltage on the plates then my amp,(not sure about the Bias) but have dos that really effect the tubes influence on the sound ? , will the sylvania`s sound more mellow in my amp, and more dynamic in C+ with the 105 , or is it just the tranny that handels the speaker differently ?

cremona said:
Now final questian, the 105 tranny puts more voltage on the plates then my amp,(not sure about the Bias) but have dos that really effect the tubes influence on the sound ? , will the sylvania`s sound more mellow in my amp, and more dynamic in C+ with the 105 , or is it just the tranny that handels the speaker differently ?

The difference is so small with the same tubes (STR-416), that you will not hear a dynamic difference without the two amps side-by-side. A quick A/B test will show the differences, but if you give your ears a 2 hour break in between amps, I don't think that you could tell them apart. :shock:

Latest posts

Back