Mesa JP-2C Review

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine yesterday, played it for a little while.
Do you guys notice much difference in the amount of gain and satuation from ch2 to ch3.
Ch3 sounded pretty good and what expected, i had a mark iv and still own a mkv.
But ch2 seems less saturated and less gain, one of the videos i watched had me thinking they was pretty much supposed to be the same. Maybe i misunderstood it, i just wanna make sure its not a amp problem with mine.

ZAO said:
Got mine yesterday, played it for a little while.
Do you guys notice much difference in the amount of gain and satuation from ch2 to ch3.
Ch3 sounded pretty good and what expected, i had a mark iv and still own a mkv.
But ch2 seems less saturated and less gain, one of the videos i watched had me thinking they was pretty much supposed to be the same. Maybe i misunderstood it, i just wanna make sure its not a amp problem with mine.

Channel 2 has a slightly lower internally pre-set Volume 1 value, so it will have a little less saturation overall. It's still more than enough for heavier rhythm playing. Although not a high quality example, my YouTube clip at the top of the page doing some basic palm muting and chords was done on Channel 2.

My ch3 is more saturated and has more gain at 12:00 than ch2 with the gain pulled and running at 3:00. I never owned a 2c+ so i prob just need to work with it more.

ZAO said:
My ch3 is more saturated and has more gain at 12:00 than ch2 with the gain pulled and running at 3:00. I never owned a 2c+ so i prob just need to work with it more.

It's definitely not that drastic on mine. When set up identical, Channel 3 has a little more saturation to it, more in it's feel. It's nothing extreme, just a little bump to make the notes have a little more sag or squish.

Daxman73 said:
Hey Silverwulf, you mention that the Mark V and JP2C is catered to two different crowds. I've owned a V and found it incredibly versatile in a cover band situation (80's Hair band tribute). I'm curious and wonder if you could elaborate on that, as I would expect it to be just as versatile. I understand the basic differences you mention in your overall review, but would like to hear a little more in particular (sonically) between these two great amps. Thanks for your time.

Sorry, missed this earlier. The JP-2C is designed to give a limited amount of specific tones - crystal clean with minimal breakup, and then higher gain IIC+ tones for crunch/lead (with Channel 3 having a hair more gain).

The V is certainly more versatile. It's got a variety of modes and options that go from low to high gain, and overall gives a much wider choice of tones. To me, the JP-2C does what it does better than the V, but the V does a much wider range of tones the JP-2C doesn't cover. So, depending on what you want it to do, one may be better suited than another.

Arrived today #129... Spent about 20 minutes figuring out the Midi. Running GCP into G-major midi in switching JP-2c into 4 x 12 recto V30's. Could not get it to work and checked midi channel on GCP and verified that all where on same midi channel. Never could get the midi store light to show. Thought maybe I saw a dim red? Switched GCP through its midi channels and watch the JP-2c start switching.... put GCP back to its original channel one and everything on JP-2c started working per manuals instructions. Weird but works as intended.

Midi: Never could get light to show on back above store toggle but switching is seamless and fast.

Is it a C+? (Disclaimer: lets just say i have a few C+'s.... like double digits and very familiar with tones and versions).. anyway..It reminds me of when you get a C+ recapped and tuned up and returned from Mesa.

Channel 1 Clean. Top 3 cleans I've heard from a C+. No eq needed.. Matter of fact it sounds better than any of my C+'s except for 1, I call his majesty... (Note: Has not be recapped.....) The EQ actually makes it worse. I feel that in the originals I need the EQ and Without EQ it takes tweaking that never ends. I set channel 1 to the manuals "quick gratification" and turned it up, the channel on the g-major is just a bit of chorus and delay.. It was heavenly......

Channel 2 Sounds like a recapped C+ with current Mesa tubes. If you need more gain than this there is something wrong with you :lol:
Channel 3 Sounds like a recapped C++ with current Mesa Tubes. If you need more gain than this you are dead. :lol: Note: Everything pulled and shred on gain maxed!

EFFECTS LOOP: The one thing I always loved about the original is it effects loop. Best in class, pure, clean and smooth, best I've ever used.... The JP-2C from channel 2 to channel 3 is pretty close to that, switching to channel 1 needs to be fixed period! The gentlemen who first discovered it and returned his amp had it set so extreme is was over the top. At gig level it is still present but not a giant volume jump and plainly usable. The way the effects spill into channel one is no bueno. Has to be fixed. The original does not do this, so a re issue should not as well.. I even noticed with my 4x12 and remember its at gig volume so about 2.5 on an original master. you can here the speakers "load up" when you switch to channel 1 with not even playing.. Not a pop, not a hum, like all 4 speakers move out and in once making a...hard to describe other that a quick cycle of the speakers.....With 1x12 or 2 x 12 maybe not noticeable but when 4 or more speaker move it makes a low woos. When playing and switching you obviously don't hear it but something is happening that should not be. In the original, when you switch channels playing or not you hear nothing....I can't see it being an issue with my original band or tribute band because I don't thing I ever go from a heavy delay solo into a stopped clean passage..
:roll: UPDATE 4:12pm MESA JUST RELEASED A FIX..SEE EFFECTS LOOP ISSUE....WAY TO GO MESA!!!
I got really great tones right out of the box using my knowledge of C+'s. Started to experiment with the shred toggle and pull gains and got into the realms of real C+ tones.... One thats has been recapped anyway..

Final review to follow since all my 60/100's run with 415's. So I need a bit more time to drop a set of quads in there. So I may compare apples to apples. Its a great amp but my ears are used to a bit more SAG which kind of comes from age, a bit more squishy of lead channel that is the C+......
In 20 years this amp might climb the shelf. :lol: :lol: . But right now, as it stand out of the box......., I have better sounding C+'s and some as equals.. "Different Degrees of Awesomeness!"-JP

Remember folks.. A re-issue will never be better than the original , but you'll never get an original with this much functionality.

Its a great amp! Feel free to ask questions...

@kippiejr I agree with your post. I heard it the same way, granted though I only spent some time with one in the store. But my C+'s are recently recapped, so I feel as though I can compare a little to what you were hearing. It's a great amp!

Holy crap cycles.. I put a quad of 7581A's (military version of the 415's) Wow.. Now we are getting somewhere... Where is all that gain in channel 3 coming from......The cleans, I can actually hear the phrase " warm bell like chime." Dont get me wrong, the 440 where nice but a quad of 415's are the whip cream, chocolate syrup ,sprinkles and cherry on top! I put the 440's back in (wink) don't want to void my warranty. Wait, I have a quad of Mesa labelled 415's too..... :mrgreen: Why did they stop making those tubes... There was a reason Fender, MESA, Peavy, Carvin.....etc etc all used the same Sylvania 6L6GC USA tubes back in the day.. When you hear and are used to them, nothing compares.... IMHO..

Sorry MESA wish list already......DRGG....DRG2

kippiejr said:
Why did they stop making those tubes... There was a reason Fender, MESA, Peavy, Carvin.....etc etc all used the same Sylvania 6L6GC USA tubes back in the day.. When you hear and are used to them, nothing compares.... IMHO..
So true, Sylvanias vs anything else. No comparison at all.

Final review:

Went through an entire 3 hour practice last night and can finally give my last review. This is my opinion and this is coming from a person who has in depth experience with the IIC+. We all know the C+ can produce a wide range of amazing tones but the 2C became famous because of a certain style of artist or bands who played and recorded with them. Which is the same as mine. The JP-2C is the best Mark series amp Mesa has produced in 30+ years. I say its a Mark amp because its circuit is derived from the Mark series line. Is it an exact re issue, NO.. I happen to like the Vol 1 knob and over all master, Wish the JP-2C did not have the internal settings, but those internal settings really make the 2C+ sing and I totally get why they did that.... My favorite original C+'s have the Petrucci mod and the ++ mod and are switchable to all 3, which in turn, is what the JP-2C is now plus a lot more, and at half the price. :lol: 2 EQ's, MIDI, 3 channels, 3 reverb levels, shred mode, assigning FX loop, stop the madness!!!!

Disclaimer: It is running the stock preamp tubes (JJ) but I replaced the stock 6L6's with 415's with in 10 minutes of auditioning the amp. Since my C+'s run 415's the JP-2C should as well, if we are comparing apples to apples.

The amp cut through the mix just like the original. The other guitar player uses an early Mark III, and with the JP-2C the over all guitar tones sounded just like it did before as if I was using the original. A bit stiff at first but with only about 4 hours total on the amp, it was already loosing up and producing that C+ squishy sustaining holy grail tones I have learned to love. My band members did notice my tweaking and slider adjusting seemed to go away with this amp :mrgreen: I mean we are tone junkies after all..
Never heard an issue with the effect loop but since I have the call tag already ill get the loop upgrade done. Then it will be perfect.
Will I sell any of my C+'s. Hell no.. Well I buy another JP-2C... Hell yeah!!!!!

Ps. FWIW. Guys who are using midi: Turn the effects and pedal board on first, then the amp. When I turn the amp on first the midi changes to the amp don't work. That's using a G-major and GCP anyway..

I received my JP-2C a couple of days ago. I have owned just about every incarnation of C+ made. From the 60 watt S,SR, SRG to the 60/100 HR, HRG, Simlu-Class DR, DRG, DRGx
Coliseum C+ and even one of the factory C++'s (one of which Hatfield received) so I have a very good understanding of the C+ tone from all aspects.
I would agree with kippiejr's review. It pretty much sums up my feelings as well.
The original C+ has it's own character and a lot depends on options, tubes, cabinets, and personal settings. Most important thing I was looking for in this amp was -does it feel like a C+?
To me it feels like a C+ with additional tonal options the original didn't offer. Add that with 3 separate channels and this amp is a keeper.

Kippie and David,

How close is the JP2C to a DRG? I've always preferred the DRG to any of the other variations, and to me it's a pretty noticeable difference. I'm concerned that the JP2C will be more similar to a HRG than a DRG, which wouldn't work for me.

Also, I'm somewhat confused about the "versatility" aspect of the JP2C compared to the original. I don't know about you guys, but the absence of Vol 1 seems pretty significant and to me really hampers my mental picture of how versatile the JP2C is - in terms of pure tone - compared to the IIC+. Does the JP2C do mid-gain tones as well as the IIC+?

Hopefully I get the chance to play the amp soon.

The amp is a little more raw sounding than the simul-class which isn't bad thing only different. You can always soften it by plugging into the lower impedance speaker jack.
8 ohm into 4, 16 into 8 etc...
The JP setting they suggest are extreme in that the gain is dimed. I like the organic tone with the gain at 6-7 with the gain pulled and presence pulled and pres at 2 in channel 3.
This sounds like the C+ I am used too. I set channel 2 about the same with less gain more mids, It does mid-gain very well. On the original I would set channel 1 and 2 clean and lead and roll off the volume for crunch.
Not having vol 1 isn't really an issue for me. On this amp I don't miss it.

DaveP said:
The amp is a little more raw sounding than the simul-class which isn't bad thing only different. You can always soften it by plugging into the lower impedance speaker jack.
8 ohm into 4, 16 into 8 etc...
The JP setting they suggest are extreme in that the gain is dimed. I like the organic tone with the gain at 6-7 with the gain pulled and presence pulled and pres at 2 in channel 3.
This sounds like the C+ I am used too. I set channel 2 about the same with less gain more mids, It does mid-gain very well. On the original I would set channel 1 and 2 clean and lead and roll off the volume for crunch.
Not having vol 1 isn't really an issue for me. On this amp I don't miss it.

Thanks for the response, DaveP.

You likely know this, but on the originals, you can get pretty much the same level of gain by balancing Vol. 1 and Drive. Increase Vol. 1 and keep gain down, or keep gain up and decrease vol. 1, gets you nearly to same place sonically, but with vastly different feel. Just don't see how you do that with this amp, but maybe you can?

Also, from what you're describing, it sounds like the JP2C is definitely more HRG than DRG. The cab trick never worked for me and I sold-on all the HRGs I've had (even though it's a recco from Mike).

Thanks again.

It's a HRG for sure. Mesa can change a HRG to a DRG but will they mod a HRGG to a DRGG :lol: when the dust settles in a few, I'm sure they'll release a DRG . Hint hint. These aren't the driods you looking for.

kippiejr said:
It's a HRG for sure. Mesa can change a HRG to a DRG but will they mod a HRGG to a DRGG :lol: when the dust settles in a few, I'm sure they'll release a DRG . Hint hint. These aren't the driods you looking for.

Thanks, that's what I was suspecting. The DRG is just my sound, noticeable different than the other models particularly for leads/solos.

Back