Mesa Engineering F50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spudmurphy

Reaction score
OK so this is my first post having become the proud owner of an F50.
What a wonderful amp it is.

I've been hanging around on the Ernie Ball Forums a lot because of my passion for their Albert Lee guitars.

Anyway my question is (and please be gentle with a newbie!) why does my F50 have the Mesa Engineering badge on it yet whenever I see an advert or look at the custom versions on Mesa's website, the F50's have the Messa Boogie badge. (Spud ducks!!)

I guess I then have to ask "Can you buy a Messa Boogie badge?

Cheers
Spud
Cardiff,
UK.

Here's (not a very good) picture of mine showing the non boogie badge - anybody know why ?
P6140086.jpg

I also have an F50, but I found it too agressive in the treble with my Stratocaster.

I've been thinking in change the Black Shadow speaker for a Eminence Governor, its 75watts instead the 90 that the Black Shadow can handle but enough for the 50 watts of the F50 and will bring up the mids supposedly..

congrats in your F50!!

cheers!!

^
I'm going to have to put it through the speaker in my Marshall - a G12 Vintage Celestion and se how it works out.
I like the cleans and find the treble no problem.

A mate of mine has an F50 and he's changed the speaker too - I'll have to find out what he put in his.

Wanna sell your speaker ? :?:

Interesting - The Mesa website still has some F Series stuff up(go to 'product manuals' then all the way to the bottom and click on F Series) and the family picture has all of them with the Mesa Boogie emblem in the upper left of the grill. The family picture of the Express amps has the engineering emblem that you have on your F-50.

One way to look at it is that down the road yours will be viewed as an extreme rarity and will be worth mucho buckos.

Call the factory, I'm sure they'll be happy to send you the right one.

Hi Spud!

(I'm "Eilif" on the EB forums.)

You have the "widebody" F-50. Some of them were 18.75" wide when they were first introduced, but that option was discontinued, and towards the end of the production, all F-50s were 22.5" wide.

Likewise, some F-50s have your badge although most came with the "Mesa/Boogie" badge.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out the "F-series Lounge" at the Harmony-Central forums:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=885856&perpage=100&pagenumber=1

Hi Elif
thanks for your very informative reply.

There's a whole load of stuff onthat link you sent me - I'll take a better look tonight.
Cheers
Spud

Yes, please join us at the F-series Lounge. Great thread!

I'm running my F-50 into an Avatar cab loaded with Hellatone 60L's (broken-in V30's) and haven't been happier, even though I have major Stiletto G.A.S. ;)

Somebody else asked the question recently whether you can order different badges. The answer is that you can. Just call Boogie and tell them what you want. I custom ordered my F-50 with the old school "Boogie" badge, and they were happy to oblige. I also ordered one of those badges for my DC-3 last year. I'm sure you will be able to get the Mesa/Boogie badge as well. Here'a pic of mine:

Boogie3.jpg

Lt_Core said:
Yes, please join us at the F-series Lounge. Great thread!

I'm running my F-50 into an Avatar cab loaded with Hellatone 60L's (broken-in V30's) and haven't been happier, even though I have major Stiletto G.A.S. ;)

Hey thanks for the pointer - I have joined up, and met a fellow Ernie Ball forumite who seems to be a bit of an expert!!

Ah, that would most likely be Hal9000. Very knowledeable fella. And he has a 20th Silo. The man has great taste in guitars. :)

Spudmurphy said:
Hey thanks for the pointer - I have joined up, and met a fellow Ernie Ball forumite who seems to be a bit of an expert!!

So I experienced Mesa Customer Service for the first time and I was impressed to say the least - I had a reply from them that very same day which I think I'll share with the forum. They said...

Initially the F-series amps left the factory with no logo and later
adopted the Mesa/Boogie badge. So I would assume that someone put the
MESA logo on after the fact.

As far as serial numbers, we don't exactly have a solid database, but I
may be able to tell you when your amp shipped from the factory.

I removed the badge last night and there is no evidence of any other screw holes - I can only assume that the previous owner put the badge on - I'll try and find out more.

So, do I replace the Mesa Engineering badge put a Boogie badge on there?
- answers on a postcard to Spudmurphy ... ... ... :wink:

Latest posts

Back