Matching levels between channels

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan b

Reaction score
I've read on here that a few other people had had this problem or a similar one. I can't seem to balance channel 1 to channel 2 or 3 without channel 1 becoming slightly distored and hairy sounding. One person if I remember correctly had suggested a tube chance that had semi-corrected this problem. Does anyone remember that thread, or does anyone have other opinions?

I dont think there will be a happy marriage of volumes between Channel 1 and Channels 2&3, just because they 2&3 are getting more gain stages(im not a tech, but I heard that when I asked the questions, and it seems to make sense) :?

Ive had the same problem, so The best I can do is keep Ch1 at 90w, and channels 2&3 at 45w

I feel that channel one is a bit more hollow that the other channels, so we may never get the same pleasing volume and cut that channels 2 and 3 get....

Ill mention the obvious just in case....use fat mode 90 watt / full power/ gain below 1200 / channel master at least half and watch the treble / mid knobs as they add gain.

Other than that , perhaps a clean boost. Using lower output pickups or rolling volume down on hotter ones will aslo help keep it cleaner .

As fa as other channels , using 45 watts helps , even squishing them more with tube recifier/ triode settings ( unless thats not the sound you want in those channels).

As Far as matching anything to the power of Extreme ....its hard to do . That mode cuts through the densest mix like a knife with great thump....but its easy to go overboard and drown out rest of band ..esp in a smaller room.

All three channels have master volumes. The key to matching levels is to adjust the channel volumes so that the volume levels are matched.

If channels 2 and 3 are too loud to balance with channel 1, then turn the volume down on channel 2 and 3.

screamingdaisy said:
If channels 2 and 3 are too loud to balance with channel 1, then turn the volume down on channel 2 and 3.

That makes sense, but ch2 and 3 will take a hit with the master lower than before..I find ch1 louder than the rest with the loop hard bypassed, but when its engaged, it´s lower and there is the pain in the ***..raising the ch1 master more than 12 will add a breakup and thats what I dont want for a clean sound

rika_gd said:
That makes sense, but ch2 and 3 will take a hit with the master lower than before..I find ch1 louder than the rest with the loop hard bypassed, but when its engaged, it´s lower and there is the pain in the ***..raising the ch1 master more than 12 will add a breakup and thats what I dont want for a clean sound

Turning down the channel master sounds worse because you're loosing overdrive, however you can compensate for that by turning the master output back up and getting that overdrive back.

The part that I bolded leads me to believe that you're overdriving your effects loop....

I´m not using anything in the loop! besides, I have understood that the output doesnt overdrive the signal, at least not like the master knob..its more "transparent"

I agree with many posters that to get the best balanced footswitchable sounds (volume wise) out of all 3 channels requires adjustment of the channel volumes accordingly based on a given master output volume (loop-in) and with the master output volume typically in the 10 - 12 o'clock region (regardless of your individual channel power selections).

OP: A couple of other thoughts. Have you tried engaging the "bold" toggle in channel 1.....if not do so. It will change the sound some with more oomph and cut in the mix while still staying clean as long as your Ch1 gain is set from say 10 - 11 o'clock in clean or fat modes. Also, don't hesitate to try the "Tweed mode" in channel 1 with the gain set similarly or even a bit higher....say 12 o'clock.... The "Tweed mode" definitely has much more "volume on tap" because it has more gain stages and will definitely break up quicker, but you can also roll back the volume knob on your guitar to clean it up while still having the option to dime your guitar volume knob for a nice slight break up clean sound.

Also, if you don't like my suggestions above...try kicking in the "Solo Boost" in Ch1 to obtain a potentially much higher volume clean sound in Ch1 while maybe not using it at all in Ch2 & 3, for example.

Hope this helps some.

I love the idea of using one channel with a lot of gain and clean it up with the volume knob of the guitar, but that´s for my bedroom playing..I´m not a big fan of playing with a band rolling up or down the volume pot, so I´m not even considering it..and Twee sounds awesome, for my bedroom too! I prefer prstine cleans with my band, anyway, yesterday I could spent a couple of quality hours with my Boogie and I found that all chs in 90w, ch1 master at noon, ch2 master at noon too (for soloing) and ch3 master at 10 / 11 are very well balanced with the output at 10 / 11..the problem was that ch2 and ch3 have a lot of gain so that confused my ears for a while, but hearing carefully the clean channel was at the same level almost..maybe the highs makes it louder, but I´m happy at the moment

I used to have this problem but somehow it fixed itself.

It might be the fact that I started to run Mark IV mode again instead of Extreme.

In any event, play with it. You'll figure it out.

Latest posts

Back