Matching Cab - old question with a slightly different twitch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterL

Reaction score
Hello to all of you,

as a new member here and very happy owner of a MkV head I am aware that there have been many discussions about which cab to match, but could not find any specific answers to my situation (please apologize if I have overlooked them and kindly point me in the right direction if this was the case):

I currently have to be able to simultaneously serve a top-40 combo, a modern Texas blues band and a funk/fusion sextet. Until now - as all of these rehearsed in the same building - I was able to just "roll in" with my head and a pre-rectifier 4x12. Now two of the bands have moved to other places and I will not only need to move the rig to venues but also several times a week to rehearsals. And - frankly - I am just tired of lifting this hugely heavy beast of a cab around.

Now the question to all of you more experienced users is the following:

As I need both a most mobile and very flexible cab, which would you recommend? 3/4 1x12? 3/4 2x12? Any other?

Please bear in mind that I do not need any type of "metal" sounds beyond old-school Metallica (and I would be willing to compromise on that even to a degree), and also know that both floor space on the stages I play is very limited and at about 50-60% of all gigs I will be miked up anyway, so projection is less an issue (personal and stage monitor functions much more).

Thanks very much for your thoughts and insights,

Peter

Widebody Thiele with the front port. I use one and it is a great cab. It has a c90 in it and is $469.00 which is up there, but the cab is light, 38lbs and sounds huge for it's size.I think it will fit your needs...

Seems this not available any more. Would you not think a loaded design to be quite projective?

peterL said:
Seems this not available any more. Would you not think a loaded design to be quite projective?

It's still on the Mesa website:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/COMPACTcabs/Widebody-ClosedBack-1x12-LG.htm

I use a widebody open back on top of a widebody theile. I really like the pairing, but if you can only get one I'd recommend the theile as it provides a fuller sound with a bit more thump on the rhythm sound.

IMG_4842.jpg

I have the wide body front ported cab . I ordered mine with a V30 (not a fan of C90s) and a Boogie badge to match the mark V head .

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/barry2001/dsc00995.jpg

Hi,

Thanks very much for your input - just one more question: As the ported cab is to be quite "beamy", do you angle the rig up for personal monitoring?

peterL said:
Hi,

Thanks very much for your input - just one more question: As the ported cab is to be quite "beamy", do you angle the rig up for personal monitoring?

It's not as beamy as a closed back cab.

That said, I use mine with an open back on top of it, so monitoring isn't an issue so long as there's a wall behind it.

peterL said:
Hi,

I hear this all the time on the forum . cabinets sound so much different according to where you are standing as well . Take one step to either side and it will sound differnt . Also sounds much different in the context of a band than it does in your bedroom

Hi everyone,

so I am expecting delivery of a a wide body ported cab as per your advice - will let you know how I feel about it as soon as I have gigged with it.

One other thing (and this may be a newbie question) annoyed me last night during a show with the blues crew - in Mk I mode on Ch 2 45W, variac setting, the "solo" control seemed not to do what it should, even with the master set somewhat less than halfway and the solo fully up. Should I change up to 90 watts?

And: The folks should REALLY have placed the footswitch connector to bottom of the chassis.....

@Barry:

to imagine a MkV stack in anyone´s bedroom is a strange thought - for private practice I use a (fully and overwhelmingly oversized) Express 5:25 - which, luckily, serves teaching and other purposes as well....

But here in Europe floor space on stages is really at a premium - even at venues considered "generous" I almost every time end up standing in front of the rig, less than 10 inches away, sometimes I end up sitting on the rig with no room to move. One gets used to never hear any of your articulative high end, but a great on-stage sound I tend to define slightly differently....

Maximize the floor space for the punters is the rule of the game - not that anyone would accept any compromise in sound and performance. If the bankers are bitching around having a tough time, these guys should for once only try to make a living on music....

Thanks screamingdaisy and all,

I finally received the widebody front ported cab on Friday - unpacked it, flew the cover over it and went off for a show. Man, was I amazed as soon as I took it into action! Sounds HUUUGE for the diminuative size, is not beamy at all, can hold its punch both on stage and into the audience and - best of all - mikes extremely well!

Thanks again for this suggestion - it does all I wanted and more.

Since then I have been through gigs and rehearsals with all three formations and a surprise jazz stunt - it turned out as the most flexible and adaptable cab I ever had! Got lots of complimentary remarks on my sound, and also some pretty puzzled looks from my fellow six-stringers (who still lug Marshall heads and 4x12s)....

Great advice - thank you for a third time!

Peter

Back