Marshall sounding pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Tone

Reaction score
Has anyone found a pedal that will get close to a cranked marshall tone (ie Angus Youngish) from a Lonestar? I realize the only way to get that tone is to buy a Marshall stack, but I'm looking for a distortion or overdrive pedal that can simulate this, if this is even possible. Thanks.

I have set up my LSS as follows:

Channel II pretty clean volume full boor and master as a volume control at about 9o clock and use an MI Audio Blues for my Tele (I find the lack of sparkle on Channel II is a good match for the Tele).

In answer to your question I use my Les Paul on Channel 1 again set up clean volume full boor and master at about 9 oclock and MI Audio Crunch Box with volume and gain set at about 8 oclock to get that Marshall sound.

A Barber Direct Drive (DD) can get there. Better yet, a Direct Drive Super Sport (DDSS) :D. The Crunch box has a huge reputation of being a Marshall in a box. But I sold mine and called it the "Fizz box".

The CMATMODS Brownie is the best one I've come across so far. Great distortion with a nice bottom end. I had an MI Audio Crunch box on my board with it but always chose to use the Brownie. The CB was just a little to thin for me, very good tone and tons of gain though.

+1 on the Crunch Box. Also the Menatone Workingman's Blue is good for even older-school, JTM45 sounds. Not as high-gain as the Crunch Box, but a bit more amp-like IMHO.

Have you heard any of the Wampler pedals? I have a pinnacle overdrive and an ego squasher compressor, into My LSS. They also do overdrives designed to mimic a Marshall. Search for indy guitarist. There are also a lot of you tube clips of these pedals. The Pinnacle is superb and the Wampler compressor is easily the best I have ever tried.

thom

Bottle Rocket - I am sure you know for the ACDC tone, gain/distortion is not what you need it is the eq and the open chords. The Crunch Box has the eq but alot/too much of the gain so I use it set at 8 o'clock as suggested above. (I have to brag that I just got my tickets for the Melbourne ACDC show this morning)

Importantly, in addition to the above, I also have my les paul volume down to 7 or 8 o'clock to fatten and clean up the sound at the same time.

As an aside, given this is a Boogie forum, has any one seen the videos in the ACDC box set that show the lads using Mesa Boogies, circa 1984. To this end an ACDC sound on a Boogie is possible!

I feel pretty darned good about my ACDC tone using a Barber LTD going through the clean channel. OCD: also not bad, if I have the right guitar. If I plug my LSC into my 4x12 Marshall cab, it's really easy to get something close to that sound even without a pedal.

Largely depends on your playing style, and what sort of adjustments your tone requires to get it there. Lotsa good pedals out there (many mentioned here), lots of ways to get that thing. You could also use EL34s, turn your drive down and just play really hard. ;)

a tube change to EL 34s would do it..and the nice thing about the Lonestar is you just flip the bias switch and wahlah you're ready to rock.

Marshall Drive Master (the old black ones with red lettering made in England). theyre almost like a JCM800 in a box. set an amp at the edge of overdrive and push it with the drive master and you'll be surprised!! 8)

theyre getting somewhat harder to find lately tho.

SonOfIAm said:
The CMATMODS Brownie is the best one I've come across so far. Great distortion with a nice bottom end. I had an MI Audio Crunch box on my board with it but always chose to use the Brownie. The CB was just a little to thin for me, very good tone and tons of gain though.

Another recommendation for the Brownie. The other guitar player in my band uses one all the time and it gets that huge Marshall crunch tone with a lot of character.

Take a look at the Blackstar HT range, I think they sound great

Designed Ex Marshall employees.

No body seems to mention them much on the boogie board in regards to OD/Distortion pedals

Latest posts

Back