Marshall Plexi tone from a Mark V:25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Si.

Reaction score
Anyone managed to get a Plexi type of sound out of their Mark V:25? bought the Mesa for flexibility and size but missing my Marshall tones :(

Well, a Mark V may be a versatile amp but it's not going to turn into a Marshall for you. Certain tube choices (EL34s on the full V) and modes, properly dialed in, can take you into a Marshall-ish territory, enough to fool the average audience maybe but if you've owned the real thing, you will spot the differences right away.

Secondly, the closest approximation of the Plexi tone on the Mark V would be the Edge mode - but that's not available on the Mini if I'm not mistaken. That being the case, your next best bet would probably be the Crunch mode - but it is a bit fatter and thicker sounding that you need (so cut the low frequencies).

Try finding it on the crunch channel with some EQ. You could try using a boost pedal too. For a long time Marshall owner, these will all be approximations of a Marshall though.

Crunch will get you the closest.

That is what I play most stuff on.

I've managed to get hold of an old Marshall Guv`nor pedal so I'm going to use this on the clean channel to get my Marshall tones :)

I just sold my Fargen Retro Classic when I bought my Mark V:35. The Fargen is definitely the best sounding plexi I've ever heard. Basically it's a 25watt Marshall Plexi SuperBass w/ KT66 power tubes. I needed more versatility, so I bought the Mark V:35. I'm a classic rock/blues player, so I definitely didn't want to give up my plexi tones. After playing both amps side by side, I found that I could dial in a really convincing Plexi tone on the crunch channel. I used the EQ and tried to tweak it as close to the Fargen as I could. Although I couldn't replicate the tone exactly, I still came **** close. The Mesa came out closer to a SuperLead rather than a SuperBass, which is almost the same circuit, just a little brighter. The way I look at it, the Mark V:35 got me close enough to Marshall territory, plus the added versatility of the other modes(and solo boosts), that I felt I could part with my Fargen. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that if you dig an old school JTM-45, then you can put it on the "fat" channel, gain at 3 o'clock, and kick in the mid/gain boost. It absolutely nails a JTM-45 tone. I will say one thing though, el84's are never going to sound as thick as el34's, BUT you can raise the 80ht on the EQ and it will def fatten up the bottom end for you. I hope my post helps. Cheers🎸🎸

Just Friday I was mucking about with channel 2 of my 90. Trying to get an early Beatles sound out of the Edge mode when I sort of accidentally happened across a JTM/SLP sort of sound. I've had a 71 Plexi here for the last 2 years, I got pretty close with the Edge mode. Gain high, presence low. Fair amount of mids and then bring the bass up to round it off a bit. Then hollowed out the bass end with the 240hz slider. I really was pleasantly surprised to find an approximation of the Are You Experienced sound. Even a decent sort of ACDC type sound by knocking the gain up a bit.

You'll never get it dead on, Marshall can't. Drake transformers are a must. And while I don't go in for a lot of the BS spouted about valves. There's a reason why I spent a load of time and money putting Mullards in my 800's. I wouldn't be mucking about in Class A or Simulclass modes for it. Strictly class AB. Those early rock sounds rely heavily on dynamics. You've an amp not capable of that much distortion coupled with pretty low output pickups by today's standards.

Latest posts

Back