Marshall or Mesa or ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
First official post...
I wanted to get some solid feedback from you guys as to what amp would best suit my needs.

I'm looking to buy a new amp, perferable a combo for easy portability and convenience.
I mainly play a LP 1960 Classic Reissue. Its a great guitar, powerful and versatile and I'm looking for the same in the new amp.

I love the hard rock/metal tones like Slash's tone and Page, but I also love metal tones from Metallica, thrash, punk. I also like to experiment with different tones, distortions, effects, to create new sounds (think BucketHead).
So I'm also looking for an amp thats versatile, and that responds very well to effects.

SO in very general terms, its come down to a highend Marshall combo, or a highend MesaBoggie combo. Question is, I'm not sure which way I should go?
The classic Marshalls like the #39 tweaked model-1959T (Tim Caswell), Plexi, JCM-800 make me drool, and dream at night, but I am also in awe of the sheer power, versatility, and tone of Mesa Boogies amps like a Dual or Tri-Recto, MArk IIc..

Some of these amps, I think, are vintage anyways, and cannot be purchased brand new. I prefer to purchase a new and modern amp (if they are just as good). Anyways, what would you recommend considering my playing preferences, Marshall, Mesa, or something else?? Or am I being a picky ******* and in reality I need mulitple amps for what I want in sound

Price limit is capped at $2500.00

thanks for your feedback -
LFC

If you want a single channel amp that does vintage I recommend THD.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/amp_sub_page.html

I recommend checking out a Fryette Sig X if you want a channel switcher. If you want a single channel Fryette Deliverance. These amps well cover vintage and modern.

http://www.sfdamp.com/sigx.html

http://www.sfdamp.com/deliverance.html

I feel these amps are equal or better than anything else available today. I have about a dozen amps new and vintage and my Sig X and THD stuff I use the most.

Dave Friedman of Rack Systems Ltd makes the Marsha. They are reworking the web site .... Tone Merchants / Rack Systems LTD. This is a little above your mark. This amp well cover modern and vitage tones.

Mike Fortin also makes great amps in the modern flavors ...

http://www.fortinamps.com/

Other names to check out are Diezel, Suhr, Egnator, Wizard to name a few.

I highly recommend checking out a Sig X.

Well,

As far as MESA's go, you might want to rethink the "combo due to portability" thing.

I own a Mesa Electra Dyne 1x12 combo and a Mark IV short head paired with a Recto 1x12. I can tell you the head and cab with the Mark IV setup is way more portable then the million pound Electra Dyne combo.

As far as tones for what you are looking for, I think the Electra Dyne get's some where in the middle of what you are looking for (you had to know I would recommend my amp ;) ). It has a JCM feel to the drive mode, except with more gain on tap and much more low end. And the cleans are incredible. Down side is one EQ for all modes, but it hasn't been a problem for me.

Stilletto also is probably in the middle of what you are looking for. Again great cleans. Amazing crunch mode. Killer lead tone. Much more gain on tap then the Electradyne. Independant controls for seperate channels. Downside is not much low end, and a lot of high's. Alone to some it can be ice picky, but you will definately stand out in the mix. Had I not decided on the Electra Dyne, I would have chosen this one.

Recto's is Mesa tone and to my ears will never sound anything like a Marshall. Easily identifyable. If you like it you love it.

I would have said the same about the Mark series tone, but I have heard some guys get some really killer Marshall sounding crunch tones out of channel 2 on the Mark V. If it is versatility you crave, this is your amp.

Stiletto, all the way. A lot of peeps here said for the longest time that the Stiletto was Mesa's answer to Marshall, and I agree. As for the Stiletto not having a lot of low end, it's a guitar amp, not a bass amp. Let the bassist do his thing and you do your's. I tried out a Mark V two weekends ago and didn't hear a replacement for my Stiletto Deuce. Plus, the Stiletto is a lot easier to dial in. Of course I'm a Stiletto owner, but for the tones you're describing this is the amp. By the way, I'm a huge Slash fan myself and chose the Mesa Stiletto for it's reliability over a Marshall. The tones are there.

Hello

I own a Marshall JVM & a Roadking II. The Jvm was just an impulse buy and have never like Marshall but after gigging it over the last 6 months I totally love it. Slash, AC/DC, Maiden tones with ease (nice cleans too!)

Play mainly Classic rock - Hard rock

Although I'd have to agree Jak0lantern01 Stiletto may be your answer.

I also owned a stiletto ace 1x12 combo and it had 85% of the marshall character but the bonus of 'rectifier' type sounds on channel 2. had bigger bottom end even with the 1x12 too

cant knock mesa quality either.. hope this helps?

I'll have to also vote for the Stiletto. :wink:
Of course I own one and am a bit biased now, but I shopped for this amp with an open mind.

I too love the classic 'British" (Marshall, HiWatt, etc) tones but wanted more "punch" to the lead tones, versatility and reliability. Stiletto does this.

I am also impressed with Fryette (f.k.a. VHT), and may have considered the Sig x, but it was not out when I made the purchase. The Pit Bull and Deliverance lacked versatility, IMHO. They do make a great sounding amp, however.... 8)

One thing you may want to consider that many over look.....what is the reliability record and how is availability of parts and service? :?:
Mesa shines in this area, and also, Fender and Marshall service stations are plentiful as well. If considering another brand, I suggest you research the availability of authorized service stations in your area. Nothing worse than having to ship a big, heavy amp and waiting even longer for service and to be returned (not to mention risking shipping damage).

And speaking of a big, heavy amp...I gave up combos years ago, opting for separate head and speaker cabs to lighten the load. My back has been thanking me ever since! :D

Food for thought....
Good luck! :D

I also have a Stiletto Ace, and have to say it nails down those Marshall tones you described. As a former owner of a JCM800 and a JCM900, the Ace sounds like a very good JCM800 on steroids. It does the famous modified JCM800 sounds very good and has actually useable clean tones, which are very sparkling and the best EL34 clean I have heard so far.

Kind regards
Goran

I own a Fender blues deluxe, JCM900 2x12 combo, and MKV head thru 2c12 cab. For a wide variety and convenient switching of sounds live, I would probably go with a good modeler if I was starting from scratch. The MKV was the Mesa I liked best after trying many out for a month or so. Speakers/enclosures also will change the tone. A good modeler will do that as well. To be sounding like someone else I would get a modeler, for finding my tone and still having a huge ammount of versatility, the MKV was my choice. I feel like the MKV can handle the cover tunes I need to play and sound good. It is a very guitar sensive amp that seems to bring out the character the guitar more than my other amps. IMHO once you get decent gear, skill and technique trump equipment. My equipment is way better than I am :) I have the feeling the MKV will continue growing on me for years to come.

madryan said:
Get an Axe FX and a couple of QSC powered cabs.

Heritage Softail said:
For a wide variety and convenient switching of sounds live, I would probably go with a good modeler if I was starting from scratch.

Sorry to say this guys, but...Modelers...solid state....eeewwwwww! :(

I know they have come a loooonnnnnnggggg way, and I admit that running my L6 POD through my 50/50 does sound pretty awesome, but there is a feeling to tubes that I have never experienced with a modeler. Having said that I have not tried the Axe FX yet and maybe that one would surprise me....
but until then, Give me tubes! :lol: 8)

Later.... :)

+10 on tubes over S.S.!!
I too am a Stiletto player with an Ace combo (1x12). I am in total lust with this thing!!! :mrgreen:
I played Marshall's for YEARS, and I wouldn't even consider going back; and that's just from a reliability standpoint. seemed like mine were in the shop a LOT :(
I do have to agree w/ BF on the head and cab being easier on the back!!! My Ace weighs a TON!! If I had it to do over I would absolutely buy separates...no question! :mrgreen:

I'd say try and get ahold of a properly dialed in mark IV if you can, its not the most versitile amp for on the fly switching but it probably contains the most different usable tone in any amp I have tried, being an owner, I'm biased. coupled with a good boost, GEQ, and other effects, you can easily get ten or so sound at feet.

If you absolutely must have a new amp check out the V or the electradyne as both kick ***.
My experience rare as it may be is that every amp I have purchased new has crapped out on me and cost me much grief time and money, where every used one has brought me nothing but joy, my theory is that the right used amp has stood the test of time and isn't going to go sideways too soon.

just my opinion, Scott

I named off a bunch of other stuff in my first post because I knew you would be told Mesa by everyone here. The reality is there is a lot of different taste ..... and playing these amp with your guitars is the only way to see what works for you. Not a bad idea to get a few recommendations.

I do still own a Mark IV, Stiletto Trident and a Dual Rectifier Tremoverb. ..... and have owned a lot of other Mesa amps since 1982.

...... and I really recommend you try out a Fryette Sig X.

Compare it's cleans, edge of break up, crunch, high gain, vintage and modern flavors, preamp and power amp distortion and the ability to blend them, articulation, definition, feel / response, tonal / voice range, harmonics and dynamics with any amp ever made by any maker.

stephen sawall said:
I named off a bunch of other stuff in my first post because I knew you would be told Mesa by everyone here. The reality is there is a lot of different taste ..... and playing these amp with your guitars is the only way to see what works for you. Not a bad idea to get a few recommendations.

I do still own a Mark IV, Stiletto Trident and a Dual Rectifier Tremoverb. ..... and have owned a lot of other Mesa amps since 1982.

...... and I really recommend you try out a Fryette Sig X.

Compare it's cleans, edge of break up, crunch, high gain, vintage and modern flavors, preamp and power amp distortion and the ability to blend them, articulation, definition, feel / response, tonal / voice range, harmonics and dynamics with any amp ever made by any maker.

A very wise, thoughtfully worded post above...as a side note the definition of learning is "A change in behavior as the result of experience." Nice to hear from one that has done the science of experimenting with different setups!

I feel the bottom part of what was said above by me is a good way to look at all music gear.

... and yes it was thought out. :mrgreen:

these are all great tips, thanks for the info.
I will have to try out many amps, and take my time with this.
The head plus a 2x12 cabinet is probably not a bad idea either for portability, and l can always plug in a MArshal head into the cabinet later on if I choose too (may be an interesting experiment)! A Marshall JCM through a Mesa 2X12 cabinet...

SO for Mesa products it looks like in no particular order
1) Stiletto
2) Electradyne
3) Mark V

From your comments, they all seem like great amps. The only way to choose is to play them out, but if you had to contrast each amp from eath other, then what would aspect would each amp really excell in compared against each other??
LFC

The Stiletto always reminded me of a JCM 800 made by Mesa with all the bells and whistles of a Mesa.

My Stiletto is a Series One Trident .... Series One is more vintage sounding than Series II. There is a mod done by Mesa that makes Series One more like Series II for I think $100.

I am thinking about selling mine (mint with original box) if anyone is interested PM me.

I feel a Mark II, III or IV is better than a V in many ways. So do most people. But they are not being made any more. ..... they are easy to find used.

I have not played the other amp enough to commit.

Latest posts

Back