Marshall cab that was reloaded

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
A couple years ago, I bought myself this 1960B cabinet for $250. The speakers were not original. So, I have this JCM900 1960B cab that was originally loaded with G12T75's. The previous owner changed the speakers to "vintage 30's". To me, the cab always seemed a little dark sounding. The vintage 30 brashness was never even there either. I always thought it was because it was a straight cab. I thought that maybe the speakers were just a little worn in or something comparing them to speakers that I would try elsewhere. I actually sold off my other cabinet that was loaded with V30's because this one sounded better with the Marshalls.

Today, I was thinking about seeing if the V30's in my Mesa Traditional cab would sound the same in the straight Marshall cab and vice versa. So, I took off the back panel of the Marshall cab and to my surprize, guess what I found. G12H30 55hz Black Backs...

No wonder they sounded so different. I almost fell over backwards... I had to shove my eyeballs back in and pick my jaw up off the floor. After clearing my throat, I closed the cabinet back up. I decided I didn't need to know what speaker sounded like what where.

Now I am wondering what I am going to do. I had thought about selling the 1960B because I have v30's in the Traditional cab and don't need 2 cabs with the same speakers. Because the 1960B has G12H30's in it, I am thinking I should keep it for tonal variation. I have a 1960A that is loaded with GB's. I have a 1960A that is loaded with 65's. I also have a 1960A loaded with 75's. I have 4 Marshall 4x12 cabs all loaded with different speakers and not enough room in my office/play room. I had thought about selling the 1960B to get my halfback for my Mark IV. Now what do I do? I hate having so many cabs stacked around when I am not using them. I mean it is nice to have them for tone changes and they look cool all spread around but this is madness. I don't mind having lots of guitars because they take up less room. 4x12 cabs are not something to have an obsession with though.

30's to me are dark as well. That's why I use the GB's w/ 75W speakers. My old cabs are loaded with original 25W Green Backs, Way different from 30's and 75's.

I guess it really comes down to which do I keep? They all sound great with my '77 JMP 50w mkII Master. The G/B's are kind of an institution for this amp. The 30's are smoother than the G/B's with more bottom. The 65's handle wattage better than either but would require more to get them to start breaking up. The 65's sound much like G/B's and were actually offered as standard equipment when this amp was being produced.

What a predicament... 3 Great sounding speakers in 3 individual 4x12 cabs. The 30's are in a B cab so if I keep a full stack that means to toss the G/B's or the 65's. If I don't concern myself with being able to stack the cabs then anything is game. The 65's would be better for louder with more headroom. The G/B's and 30's breakup better. I so wish I had another room to put my gear in. I do need to make room for another cab though because my Mark IV needs a halfback so something has got to go.

here's what you do...

sell me the the G1230H loaded cab for $250, and your problem is solved.

sure, i'll trade you for the SLO, i'm gonna need a couple grand from you tho. :p

Back