Mark V25. Is crunch louder than anything on channel 2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
Not able to crank it right now, but the other night when I played with the band it seemed to me like Crunch had a higher volume ceiling than anything on channel 2 including extreme.

Once I switched to the cab with the vintage 30's (celestion G12T-75's are very innefficiant. You need to double the wattage of an amp to get the same volume out of a G12T-75 you get out of a vintage 30) I had no volume issues even with the hard hitting drummer and other guitarist.

But it seemed crunch could be down right deafening. With the Vintage 30 2x12 I probably had the channel volume slightly below 9 o'clock where as I had channel 2 around 10:30-11:00. 10:30-11:00 seemed overpowering on the crunch channel and I had to turn down.

Seemed like when I really cranked them Crunch even at 10 watts could easily keep up with a drummer which surprised me.

I have run into this before with other high gain amps.

For instance, my Spawn Quick Rod at 50 watts, while loud, could not touch my JCM 800 2204 volume wise. Even at 100 watts the quick rod was not as loud as my 50 watt 2204.

It almost seems like the less cascading gain stages, the higher decibels per watt. Or atleast that is what I perceive.

I of course could be wrong.

Yes you are correct it is louder, it evens out at about 12:00 on the master and i find that 9:00 on crunch equals about 11:00 on ch. 2. i think the gain stages on crunch vs. ch. 2 are pretty consistant but ch. 2 sounds are more compressed in general.

I there is any gripe at all that I have about this amp, it's this issue.

I'd like to use the crunch occasionally as an option, but it is so much louder than the other settings on the clean channel that I can't. I don't want to have to adjust knobs in the middle of a song or a set.

I often switch between clean and fat between songs, with I had the option of the crunch.

Bruce Weldy said:
I there is any gripe at all that I have about this amp, it's this issue.

I'd like to use the crunch occasionally as an option, but it is so much louder than the other settings on the clean channel that I can't. I don't want to have to adjust knobs in the middle of a song or a set.

I often switch between clean and fat between songs, with I had the option of the crunch.

The modes were not designed to be switched on the fly - as with any of our amps. They use 2 different volume pots for Clean/Fat and Crunch, so adjusting the Master is an absolute necessity. There is no other way to combine different circuits with different gain stages in one channel. Thanks

Latest posts

Back