Mark V with 6CA7 or EL34? Any opinions if you tried them

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SCSurfAddict said:
I agree with skoora. It’s the music you play that guides you. I’ll bet that everyone has a genre bias. That genre bias will cause you to favor one tube, and its tonal characteristics, over another. I prefer the el34’s in the mark v. I like a tight bass but NO ICEPICK! That desire is driven by my bias to older rock/metal. Therefore: the el34 :)

That's why I use 6CA7 tubes, you get the big tight bass or 6L6, even tighter.... No ice pick highs and thick midrange. Replaced all my EL34s.

EL34s for me - to my ear it made the MKV sound more classic Mesa , like my MK2 in feel

Channel 1 - its fine I don't use it much I do agree with many the 6L6s do work better on this channel but I do have a nice clean - edge of crunch dialed in

Channel 2 - I use the MK1 mode and I just LOVE it tons of gain , I use the GEQ on faders to boost the treble bunch best sound I have ever had with single coils and rocks hard with my Tele. reacts well to the guitar Vol knob :)

Channel 3 - MKIV mode great gain cleans up really well also cuts nice , not muddy add preset GEQ and or boost for even more sounds

Back