Mark V what to do?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tofisi

Reaction score
I have Mesa Boogie Mark V amp and I was noticed that my sound several changed in a day when I play with same settings. Sometimes I get less attack,mudy, not defined sound less highs, less tightnes. Now I´m running true APC Line-R 1200VA AVR . But I think that is not good because I still get this problems. Also I was replaced all power and preamp tubes. Should the power conditoner help here?

check your patch chords. I had this problem bought new better quaillty patch chords got my tone back instantly. and check you fx level if you have it engaged because i find if its at noon for me i get a thinner distortion if i turn it to abotu 1 or 2 oclock i get some nice full distortion.

pathos45 said:
check your patch chords. I had this problem bought new better quaillty patch chords got my tone back instantly. and check you fx level if you have it engaged because i find if its at noon for me i get a thinner distortion if i turn it to abotu 1 or 2 oclock i get some nice full distortion.

I`m running only a guitar direct to amp. I was played with planet waves chord and georgeL´s. FX level is on 12. tomorrow I will set on 1 or 2 to see.

Tone change throughout the day is common and can be worse in some areas than others.

The explanation I've been told is that during the day there's a lot of drain on the power grid (business is in full swing, maximum airconditioning, etc), which can sag the voltage going into your amp by a few volts. Then, at night when things have calmed down you get a few more volts.

Other reasons can include temperature changes and changes in humidity. They both affect the way soundwaves travel through the air.

I have looking for furman 1400 ar voltage regulator/power conditioner, but the price is 1200€ for 230V(Europe). Anybody know for same equipment for less price that make out the same job as a furman?

I use a simple UPS unit, cost me about $70 and does the job perfectly.

I notice you said about Power and preamp tubes. Did you replace it with matched or quad power tubes? Did you replace the preamp tubes with the right tube positioning? V1...V6? are they 12ax7?

ixoye777 said:
I use APC Line-R 1200VA AVR, but I have not noticed the change.

gonzald1 said:
I notice you said about Power and preamp tubes. Did you replace it with matched or quad power tubes? Did you replace the preamp tubes with the right tube positioning? V1...V6? are they 12ax7?

I was changed all new mesa Tubes

v1= spax, v2...v7=12ax7
2xpair of str 440 green code
1x5u4gb

Unless you have a faulty line from the power grid or if your local substation has a problem, you shouldn't see any change in your TONE per-se especially if you are running it through the AVR.

I would check the patch cords/instrument cables...If not, something isn't right about the power transformer built into the Mesa Mark V and you might want it looked at.

Simple way to check if the wiring in the house is at fault...plug your girls hairdryer (essentially a substantial electric load of 1800 watts) into a plug in the same room (on the same circuit breaker) and turn it on and see what happens to the sound. If anything, your tone shouldn't change no matter what..hope this drives home the point...

Cheers

tofisi said:
I have looking for furman 1400 ar voltage regulator/power conditioner, but the price is 1200€ for 230V(Europe). Anybody know for same equipment for less price that make out the same job as a furman?

This is what I use. I don't know if they make a 230V unit or if it would help with your problem though.

http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?id=147&cat=7&type=84

It is a lot less money than the Furman.

Dom

One thing to be aware of with voltage regulators is that they're typically not designed to give you ultra-consistent voltages. Most electronics are designed to work off a voltage that's within a specific range, and most voltage regulators are designed to output voltage based on those design specs.

For instance, one particular VR may be designed to keep you within a 118v to 124v range, and so long as you're within that range it does nothing.

Then, should you drop down to somewhere between 112-117v it'll step you up to 118-124v.

Then, should you drop down to somewhere between 106-111v it'll step you up to 118-124v.

Long story short, so long as you're sitting in that 118-124v range it won't do anything for you.

There are regulators that will step you up/down with finer resolution than 6v steps (I just pulled that figure out of my *** as an example)... but you typically the cost rises as the resolution increases.

tofisi said:
ixoye777 said:

gonzald1 said:

v1= spax, v2...v7=12ax7
1x5u4gb

I'm almost certain it has something to do with the preamp tubes.

gonzald1 said:
tofisi said:
ixoye777 said:

gonzald1 said:

v1= spax, v2...v7=12ax7
1x5u4gb

I was also try with some jj and eh preamps tubes, than with sed c el34 and jj6l6 power tubes and i was have a same symptoms. Sometimes I have sound very mudy and dirty. If you have active pickup than you know how the guitar sound before 9V battery die and sometimes I feel that my amp sounding like this. I was looking on my outlet with voltmeter in house and I have a range between 234V-237V. My amp Is for 230V.

gonzald1 said:
tofisi said:
ixoye777 said:

gonzald1 said:

v1= spax, v2...v7=12ax7
1x5u4gb

I was also try with some jj and eh preamps tubes, than with sed c el34 and jj6l6 power tubes and i was have a same symptoms. Sometimes I have sound very mudy and dirty. If you have active pickup than you know how the guitar sound before 9V battery die and sometimes I feel that my amp sounding like this. I was looking on my outlet with voltmeter in house and I have a range between 234V-237V. My amp Is for 230V.

gonzald1 said:
tofisi said:
ixoye777 said:

gonzald1 said:

v1= spax, v2...v7=12ax7
1x5u4gb

Is your bass knob turned up too high? What are your settings on channel 3? Also, what are you using for a speaker cabinet? (What speakers do you have?)

JJ preamp tubes can be muddy, but EHX preamp tubes tend to be bright. My guess is that if any tubes are going to fix your problem, you'll want to try Tung Sols.

tofisi said:
Sometimes I have sound very mudy and dirty. If you have active pickup than you know how the guitar sound before 9V battery die and sometimes I feel that my amp sounding like this.

Does it sound really bassy and muddy? Does it sound like there's not a lot of gain? Have you been turning the volume up and it doesn't seem to get as loud as it should?

Typically the above is a sign that the power tubes are worn out. The first time it happened to me I didn't know what was up either and it took me awhile to figure out.

eudaimonia02912 said:
Is your bass knob turned up too high? What are your settings on channel 3? Also, what are you using for a speaker cabinet? (What speakers do you have?)

JJ preamp tubes can be muddy, but EHX preamp tubes tend to be bright. My guess is that if any tubes are going to fix your problem, you'll want to try Tung Sols.

I`m using mesa 2x12 rectifier cab

my settings ch 3:
full power,90w,bright,pentode
gain 13:00
master 10:30
presence 12:00
treble 13:00
midle 10:30
bass 10:00

This amp make me a little crazy of his sound. When I playing I feel the difference in a one hour of play on sound on the same settings. Sometimes so strong than week, sometimes so clear than muddy. I suspect a bad electric but Furman 1400 ar is so much in Europe.

screamingdaisy said:
tofisi said:
Sometimes I have sound very mudy and dirty. If you have active pickup than you know how the guitar sound before 9V battery die and sometimes I feel that my amp sounding like this.

Does it sound really bassy and muddy? Does it sound like there's not a lot of gain? Have you been turning the volume up and it doesn't seem to get as loud as it should?

Typically the above is a sign that the power tubes are worn out. The first time it happened to me I didn't know what was up either and it took me awhile to figure out.

Yes sometimes I feel like that. Power tubes worn out? But I was replace last week a new fresh power and preamp tubes.
It is possible that my amp eats tubes? It has work 4 days after replacing tube very good and than again variation on sound.

Latest posts

Back