Mark V and MXR ten band EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryswanson

Reaction score
People you need to try one if these in the loop it brings the Mark V to life. Everything the amp lacks or has to much of can be dialed in and out with this thing. I've always wanted more oomph/bottom end and this thing delivers. Turning it off makes the amp sound flat. Best thing ever IMO.

Any quality EQ in the loop will do the trick. Heck, even a bad EQ pedal like mine will do the trick. :) The reason I didn't go the MXR route was that the MXR wanted too much voltage and was a little too big to fit in my board.

But yes - if you are already using something in the FX loop anyway, an EQ pedal is definitely worth trying as well. (With almost any amp, in fact...)

I know exactly what you mean. I have tried two different EQ's through the Loop on my Mark V, one is the MXR 10-Band and the other is a Presonus 3EQB which was the most affordable Parametric 3-Band EQ I could find. I first bought the MXR 10-Band and people that hadn't heard me play for a week or two before I got it, actually thought I had drastically improved in my playing ability. I think they were under that impression only because they liked the tones I was producing that much more that it seemed like I had actually gotten a lot better at playing.

The Mark V is amazing all on its own, I love that amp, but its astounding the other places you can take that amp with the addition of an EQ in the Loop. Between the EQ-Knobs and 5-Band Graphic EQ on the amp itself you can sculpt your base tone. It just feels like throwing an EQ in the Loop lets you refine that tone that much more without losing the integrity of the tone produced by the amp.

Absolutely! It makes the amp everything I hoped it would be when I bought it. I can now nail every Metallica album tone precisely especially Garage Inc which is my favourite guitar tone ever of all time. :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :D

Sounds interesting, I've got to try this out. I have the mxr 10 band eq with me but thought the GEQ on the mark v provided a similar function and just never bothered hooking it up.

Sticking it in front of the amp can take you to uncharted waters as well, the MXR has enough clean gain available to really hit the first gain stage hard.

The MXR sounds like something I need to check out. I'm assuming that you still use the EQ on the actual amp in conjunction with the MXR? Recently, I've been feeling like my V is missing the bottom end that some of the other higher gain amps out there seem to have (EVH III, 6505, etc.) I've even contemplated trading up, but I somehow feel that the grass is always greener on the other side. Plus, like many, I'm a huge Metallica fan, and this amp by far has gotten me the closest to that Hetfield-god sound.

barryswanson said:
I've always wanted more oomph/bottom end and this thing delivers. Turning it off makes the amp sound flat.

I'm curious if you're using the onboard preset EQ or sliders and if you have a combo or a head/cab?

I know with my combo, I wanted to add a little bit of low end beyond even what the onboard EQ could get me, and an external EQ in the loop, in my case an EQ block in the GT-10, could get me that. But even without the external help, using the onboard EQ the amp was anything but flat. I'd say use both if you have to, but dial in the presets and sliders first. Without those, the amp will surely sound flat.

With the head and a good cab (rectifier in my case) the only external EQ help I feel I need beyond the onboard is to cut a bit of highs when I switch to a boosted solo sound so I don't rip someone's head off. Easily obtained with an EQ block in the GT or G-Major, etc. As far as bottom end goes, the amp can deliver way too much of that without any help, depending on your cab. I'd be hesitant to add any more beyond what the onboard can give.

I am using a head and a rectifier cab with the built in EQ and the MXR in the loop. But some days I want different things from my sound so lately I haven't been using the MXR.

Latest posts

Back