Mark IV Rhy2 channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glguitarman

Reaction score
Is there anyone who knows how to make the rhy2 channel sound good on a Mark IV? The Mark III sounds good but my Mark IV sounds fuzzy.

I run my Rhy 2 like this:

Gain: 9-10 (pull bright, i think mine is set that way)
Treble: 7-8
Mids: 6-7
Bass: 5-6

Presence: high (7-8, pushed)

and it sounds great!!

Mine is very similar to Bryan's. Gain pulled (is actually thick) with a strat - pushed in with my McCarty. I run my bass around 4 and keep the presence knob pushed in too but at a lower level. Otherwise, a lot like what Bryan suggested. Mess with mids for feel.

I like Channel two a lot and think there are several meaningful tones in there for me. I never understand why so many people don't like it...

i just hit it with my mxr eq with the gain up around +4 db and jacked lows and highs.
i leave the mids flat and run the onboard eq in the classic V. sounds like a marshall
and is great for straight rock.

i run mine treble at like 6.3, bass / mids at 5, presence in and at like 2 - 2.5 ...depending what volume you're at, and wattage setting, i get cleans to dirty cleans to great crunches and even heavier tones just by having my gain knob pulled, and adjusting between 4 - 10

Thanks for the responses. The problem I find with the IV's Rhy2 is that it is not tight at all. On the Mark III's I have had I had no problems getting a nice, tight, slightly over driven sound. The IV is just fuzzy/fizzy. It does sound good with a low gain setting.

I guess a better question would be "Is there any way to make my IV's Rhy2 sound like a Mark III?"

nothing about the MKIV isn't tight unless you have it setup to be that way, even Rhym 2...use the graphic eq..

Fronzil said:
nothing about the MKIV isn't tight unless you have it setup to be that way, even Rhym 2...use the graphic eq..

Hmm, ok, so my hearing is incorrect? Yeah, that must be it....

Seriously, I've tried many different settings. The only usable setting for my taste is with the gain set very low, the parametric eq flat, and the master high without the graphic eq. However, this makes it a totally different use than I would with a Mark III's rhy2.

I get the impression a lot of people here are cork sniffing purists about their amps. I am really not complaining about the precious Mark IV, I am merely seeking a better way to use mine, and my ear seems to gravitate to the Mark III sounds I've had in the not so distant the past.

My job is guitar playing, I use many different amps all the time at my work (currently none of which are boogie). I just happen to own a Mark IV, and want to use it for my own side gigs.

all i said, was that you are wrong about rhythm 2 being 'tight'...never said it was usable for you, or that you had to dig its tones more then the III..i'm aware people have different tastes, but some things aren't opinion..the IV is compressed and tight..all channels..my rhym 2 is tight as hell, you saying my hearing is incorrect? ya, that must be it...

Other ideas...

Are you using 6L6s or EL-34s in the outside sockets? (What's in the Mark III?)
Power amp setting: Tweed/Full? Pentode/Triode? Simul or Class A? Are you using the same power amp settings to match the MkIII you are referring to? (The Mark III was available with several different power configurations)
Are you using the same speaker as the Mark III?
Have you checked to make sure your preamp tubes are stock? If it's a used amp, someone may have added "Hi Gain" preamp tubes that may be causing extra and unwanted distortion.

...and by the way, you might want to get to know a few of us around here before you make stupid comments. Most of us "Cork Sniffing Purist" on this board own, or have owned multiple amps, not just the "Precious Mark IV" and not just Boogies. If you don't like the way your Mark IV sounds, I'm sure someone here will be delighted to buy it from you so you can insult the members of a different board while asking for help in the future.

....It was just a silly comment about the tone on some of the responses (certainly not all of them, especially the first response). I actually have got to know a few of "you" here. I've met some really cool people from this site, face to face.

I've also been burned on this site about this very Mark IV, and berated on the 'other amp' page because I thought the Fender supersonic sounded nice, when I should have been relishing the many tube rectifier options of Prosonic.

I am a pretty easy going guy actually, I meant no offense. And once again, I wasn't bad mouthing the Mark IV. BTW, it has 4 6L6's and was recently serviced at boogie.......

Cork sniffer - no. Mark IV channel 2 lover - yes.

I read your first post as fizzy -- reread it and see fuzzy. Maybe the sound you want out of that channel isn't there for you and the Mark III is the best fit.

While sharing the smooth top end of channel 3, the way I set up and use my channel 2 IS for a looser, more "fuzzy" tone. A loose and more traditional disto - maybe Marshall-ish until you get to the top tend of the frequency range - because it is all boogie up there without the Marshall bite (for good or for bad...).

My amp is not precious, it simply gives me three high quality tones that I love, that are different from each other, and have the eq as a lead boost on each. Maybe for you, the amp only has 2 usable tones?

Just trying to help. I played over 1,000 gigs with my Mark IV and know why I like it, but can only give input when you ask a question. Certainly didn't mean to offend. Hope you find what you want in there. :wink:

Hey Angelo,

I think maybe you correct about the Mark III's Rhy2 being a better fit for me than the Mark IV. I feel the Mark III to have a tighter response to pick attack, and the Mark IV, well, just like you say, 'loose and fuzzy'. Not that that is a sound I wouldn't ever use, but I don't need a whole amp channel for it. I could easily get a more variable version of that sound with a fuzz pedal on Rhy1.

I certainly didn't mean to offend either, just made the cork sniffer comment 'tongue and cheek', so to speak. All this being said, I really do enjoy the other two channels on my Mark IV.

I am not going to comment on anything other than the OP. I have a Mark III and IV (the III is fully loaded and modded to IIC+ specs) and I know what you are saying but if you like the Mark III and cannot find a usable tone on the Mark IV something is wrong with you, your amp, guitar, etc. I will say this amp is not the best for "lower gain" tones but crank up the power section and let the power amp smooth away some of that fizziness you are talking about. I bet this will help with you "pick attack" problem as well. I love both my Mark III and IV although I like the tone of the III better the IV makes up for it in versatility.

?? Huh? Sorry, I don't know what OP means.

I think maybe you should read my original post more clearly. I was refering to the Mark IV's Rhythm 2 channel. I find the other two channels totally usable. The only way that my MarkIV's rhythm 2 channel is usable, for my taste, is with a low gain setting and the master up. All of that is definately a matter of taste/opinion/whatever that means. What I DO like is the Rhythm 2 (middle knob pulled out) on a Mark III, AND, it sounds completely different than my Mark IV. If that means, in your mind, that something is wrong with me, then fine, your way of thinking is....well....foreign to me.

Does anyone read posts like this and not wonder why I made that silly comment before?

glguitarman said:
?? Huh? Sorry, I don't know what OP means.

I think maybe you should read my original post more clearly. I was refering to the Mark IV's Rhythm 2 channel. I find the other two channels totally usable. The only way that my MarkIV's rhythm 2 channel is usable, for my taste, is with a low gain setting and the master up. All of that is definately a matter of taste/opinion/whatever that means. What I DO like is the Rhythm 2 (middle knob pulled out) on a Mark III, AND, it sounds completely different than my Mark IV. If that means, in your mind, that something is wrong with me, then fine, your way of thinking is....well....foreign to me.

Does anyone read posts like this and not wonder why I made that silly comment before?

I too was referring to Rhy 2 as I READ all your posts and did not feel that I had to make that distinction. I was not confused at all and I read your posts exactly like you wrote them. Let me say again. IF YOU LIKE THE RHY 2 ON A MARK III AND CANNOT GET A VERY SIMILAR SOUND ON THE MARK IV SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH YOU, YOUR AMP, OR YOUR GUITAR.....DOUCHEBAG!!!

Wow, this really escalated quickly! :lol:
Dude, dont ask for help dialing in your amp and then get sh!tty with people offering suggestions. Learn how to dial the **** amp in yourself. The reason there isn't more people playing Mark amps is that there are just too many buttons and knobs that intimidate these morons. There are no magical settings. The size, shape, contents of the room you are playing in can effect your tone more than the geq sometimes. Then account for different speakers, cabinets, pups, effects, style, etc. Dial it in to where it sounds good to YOU. If you still dont like it then STFU and buy a line-6. For christ sake!
BTW, op means origional post. He was trying to answer your question.

Serendipity struck me today! I replaced a JJ preamp tube in the V3 position with a Sovtek preamp tube. Lo and behold, the R2 channel is totally usable for metal. Its nice and tight for interesting lamb of god runs on the low string. The gain is less for flashy legato runs but hey, that's where the lead channel comes into picture huh?

For total scooped metal, I brought all the sliders of the GEQ down and added a boss ge-7 with a 'V' shaping and it rocks!

My settings:
Simul-class/Triode/Tweed/E34L's in class A positions
Jackson DK2M with Dimarzio X2N. All tubes JJ except for the Sovtek in v3 and a mesa in the v4 position
Gain- Pulled and dimed
Treble/Bass/Mids: 7/3/5
presence: 5 (Pulled)

Latest posts

Back