mark iv: 2x12 vs. 4x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The max. wattage of a cab is not related to its sound output.

The wattage is simply the amount of power it cab safely handle. In other words a 600W cab can handle twice as much power as one that is rated for 300W.

The "perceived volume" (not measured) of a cab has to do with the efficiency of the speakers, the cabinet design (open-back cabs will generally sound louder (more cutting) in a mix than closed-back, when they are run at the same amp output), and quantity of speakers - more speakers will fill up the room with sound better than a cab with less speakers. The frequency response of a speaker will also affect the perceived loudness - your ear is more sensitive to some frequencies than others.

the mark IIc+, III, and IV's are some of my favorite amps because with that 5 band and the presence knob, you can make that thing sound awesome with a 1x12, 2x12, or a 4x12.
i found "my sound" with my mark IV on a EV thiele, then i went to my band rehersal place and through it through my c90 loaded metal grill boogie 4x12 and i bumped the presence down a tad and had a killer lead tone right away with pretty much the same settings.

Latest posts

Back